News: Book - I Searched For Soul and Found The Stars - Gilly

5 hours ago, Shinehead said:

A great read , finished reading my copy and it whet my appetite to finally buy a copy of "Chicago Soul"  by "Robert Pruter" which I managed to get off eBay for £15 including postage , which was delivered yesterday .

I spoke to Robert recently and i think he said he was going to update it, its a book that i often look at.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

3 hours ago, Shinehead said:

Made a start today , I think it may take a while to get through it.

If I enjoy it half as much as yours I will be happy 👍

in its day it was a Chicago bible, but like most things, remember that was pre internet, so much more information has come about. A little like the old Philadephia book, then Dave Moore wrote his fine book that blew that out of the water 

Social source share

15 hours ago, Gilly said:

in its day it was a Chicago bible, but like most things, remember that was pre internet, so much more information has come about. A little like the old Philadephia book, then Dave Moore wrote his fine book that blew that out of the water 

I managed to get a copy of that Philadephia book many years ago for a mate's 40th birthday present.  He was and still is a massive philly lover and I've never seen another copy. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

17 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

I managed to get a copy of that Philadephia book many years ago for a mate's 40th birthday present.  He was and still is a massive philly lover and I've never seen another copy. 

Hard to get now , passed it by when it came out and the last copy I could find the price was stupid .

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, harrythedog said:

Gilly respect to you for giving us this book. Brilliant read and a quality product. I know i may need help on this, but the first thing i do with a hard back book is smell it. This smells spot on. I cant imagine the sleepless nights and worry you have had getting this book up and running and i thank you for getting this out to us who haver been crying out for these digging stories for years. Were not getting any younger and unless these are put on paper they will be lost for ever. Many Thanks Gilly.

A labor of love they call it, anyone who thinks this is an easy thing to do, try it.  Thanks 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

17 minutes ago, Seano said:

Mine arrived yesterday, looks to be a fantastic and evocative read. Really excellent quality (I hadn't even realised it was hardback!), and a great bonus of the CD too. The trips must have been extraordinary, it really helps to see the video.

yes, match the videos with the book, and if you are not familiar with all the tunes i mention, YT is where you can look. you wont find a sample of the acetate on page 64 though 

many thanks for the feed back

• Up vote 3
Social source share

• 3 months later...
On 06/02/2021 at 18:04, Gilly said:

yes, match the videos with the book, and if you are not familiar with all the tunes i mention, YT is where you can look. you wont find a sample of the acetate on page 64 though 

many thanks for the feed back

It appears Dave's book has now been shipped in numbers to the states (there seems to be a lot of boxes) perhaps Val can sell some for you 😀

Val Moore.jpg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

5 hours ago, Gilly said:

Yes, still got a few left, they are trickling out steady but hey above a 1000 sold, not bad, I thought of only having 300 or so printed. When the venues open up again I'm hoping to shift a few, either way I aint bothered. Ive done something that I never thought i could do. Non of what i did as regards the production of the book is world standard, i know but i had to learn to use a computer, learn Word 365, learn how to insert photos, and so much more. That 1st printer done me for a £1000 i had to start again, luckily i found through Phil Dick one Ian Gregory (the guy that does most of the Soul events flyers) what a special guy he is, i may have quit if it wasn't for him. And Jordan Wilson who put me in touch with the eventual printers too.

For whatever reason i think friendships have been strained, and that hurts, i love my friends and thought it kinda sad this has happened. One thing that pisses me of is those so-called US experts who despite living in the same town as who i write about, they know best but wont buy my book, i say to them ''why didn't you go and visit these people when they were alive instead of waiting for the British invasion'' Also people who ask the same questions week in week out, buy the fuckin book, its only the price of 2 packets of cigarettes. Both these are Facebook related by the way, not Soul Source matters. 

Anyway, cheers my friend, one thing for sure i'm not dropping the retail price of my book, that aint fair on those who have supported me.

That made me laugh Gilly!  I thought... been there, done that! LOL!   I still get people contacting me asking me questions and when I say what page is it they are referring to, they usually tell me they haven't bought a book! LOL!   I'm like you, it was something I needed to do, to recount the lives of people who I'd grown to love and try and relay their contributions that so many people in their hometown had missed.  As the years pass by and the creators of our music also pass, I'm so glad I did it. Their legacy is there now, for all to find, forever and written by a fan.  You should as proud of yourself as you are of the likes of Dave Hamilton mate.  You have recorded history and done it a with an individual touch of style and panache. Well done my friend.

Best,

Dave      

• Up vote 2
Social source share

5 minutes ago, Dave Moore said:

That made me laugh Gilly!  I thought... been there, done that! LOL!   I still get people contacting me asking me questions and when I say what page is it they are referring to, they usually tell me they haven't bought a book! LOL!   I'm like you, it was something I needed to do, to recount the lives of people who I'd grown to love and try and relay their contributions that so many people in their hometown had missed.  As the years pass by and the creators of our music also pass, I'm so glad I did it. Their legacy is there now, for all to find, forever and written by a fan.  You should as proud of yourself as you are of the likes of Dave Hamilton mate.  You have recorded history and done it a with an individual touch of style and panache. Well done my friend.

Best,

Dave      

I’m in tune with both of you (Dave, Richard) on this...obviously in a much smaller endeavour (with Northern Connections).

• Up vote 1
Social source share

What on earth has anyone got to be negative about!! You guys have lived it and have recorded it where the most of us could only dream about such experiences!!! In your books the lives of heroes is now recorded forever; some feat for (I guess) working class lads!!! Drink in it if we ever meet!!! 😁👍

Regards.

Drew.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Dave Moore said:

Best,

Dave      

nice of you to say, think you are aware in my respect to you, yea I'm no author but I've tried to tell a story of their legacy, something the music media seemed to have missed, D. Ross this, D Ross that, Temptations.... if the Masqueraders had been at Motown, media would have something to write about.

And as for these cock wavers who only buy records £1000 min, or it looks like £10000 these days only stopped for a minute and look into the background of the people who made these £10000 records, and gain a bit of knowledge, and respect. 

best Gilly 

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

48 minutes ago, Drew3 said:

What on earth has anyone got to be negative about!! You guys have lived it and have recorded it where the most of us could only dream about such experiences!!! In your books the lives of heroes is now recorded forever; some feat for (I guess) working class lads!!! Drink in it if we ever meet!!! 😁👍

Regards.

Drew.

Well I don't drink but sure like to meet one of the days. your a good fellow, i already know that. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!