Repairing a cracked 7"

Joesoap

Hope it's okay to post this here..

I received a 45 today that arrived with a crack from centre to edge (owing to woefully inadequate packaging by the seller🙄).

It's not a record that turns up all that often and I might be able to salvage something from this disaster as the record still plays (albeit with a click on each turn...😕)

So what's the best way of strengthening / repairing that? I've seen a John Manship video on YouTube that involves applying a thin layer of superglue to paper and then gently rolling the damaged part of the edge in the superglue. Is superglue ok to use with styrene? Also feels a bit 'one shot' and I'm a bit worried about the crack moving while I'm doing that and the repair not being flat...

...Any tips? Or any other methods?

Apols if this has been covered before.

Thanks.

Social source share

I have attempted a few repairs over the years one was a two grand record 6 years ago now it’s not worth a carrot , I have never seen crack repaired that stayed repaired, personally after my experience with them I would just stick tape across underneath and be carful with it , over many years I was taught a lesson be weary with advice as I have wrecked lots of records 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I think the topic has been raised on here before.

I wonder if a laser treatment would work? The technology exists in hospitals - could there be some other outlet where you could get your hands on the kit, or better still, have an expert tackle the problem. Fusion could be an ideal solution if technically feasible.

Styrene records do not get on well with Superglue - believe me, I’ve tried.

Nobody really wants a cracked record, so the best solution is sell-on after upgrading. Cracked records, even the rarest ones, have lost most of their financial value. 

If you are determined to keep the cracked record, the Manship outer-edge glue trick will stabilise the fracture as usually the two sides line up perfectly.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Thanks all!

I got a refund so might as well go ahead and attempt the repair. Slight issue is although it still plays, despite best efforts to line up, I can see through the crack when held up to the light.  I think it must have shifted slightly under the label or something to cause that.

Just a further question. It's styrene. So if superglue is no good for that, is there an alternative?

Thanks again.

Social source share

4 hours ago, Joesoap said:

Thanks all!

I got a refund so might as well go ahead and attempt the repair. Slight issue is although it still plays, despite best efforts to line up, I can see through the crack when held up to the light.  I think it must have shifted slightly under the label or something to cause that.

Just a further question. It's styrene. So if superglue is no good for that, is there an alternative?

Thanks again.

There is an alternative,this is what i would do :

1. Place a temporary piece of masking tape over the crack on the playing surface.

2. Place the playing surface facedown on to a flat surface.

3. Having obtained a strong adhesive tape suitable for styrene and vinyl

approx 25mm wide,cut a piece that covers the whole crack all round.

4. Carefully apply the tape,smooth it out for a permanent finish.

5. Remove the masking tape from the playing surface.

6. Test the playing surface on the deck.

You should be able to use the record with careful handling obviously.

Any record with a crack is a salvage operation only,the value has already gone.

If you want to play it,it is worth doing if the crack is clean.

Good luck mate hope it works what ever you do,Ron. :thumbsup:

Social source share

23 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Nobody really wants a cracked record, so the best solution is sell-on after upgrading. Cracked records, even the rarest ones, have lost most of their financial value. 

You’d think so wouldn’t you, but I’m still surprised by what people ask for cracked records when offered up for sale.

Social source share

22 minutes ago, El Corol said:

You’d think so wouldn’t you, but I’m still surprised by what people ask for cracked records when offered up for sale.

and people buy them too in a heartbeat....lots of guys have the better to have and dont need outlook.myself included

Social source share

On 21/07/2020 at 12:48, El Corol said:

Yes, you’re right. Someone bought Carl Holmes’ Soul Dance No 3 about a week ago and paid $395.25 for it. Mind you, I wonder if they actually read the small-print before bidding...

Edited by Frankie Crocker
Exact figure inserted.
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

9 hours ago, Dave Pinch said:

and people buy them too in a heartbeat....lots of guys have the better to have and dont need outlook.myself included

Which IMO can take us down the path to paying over the odds for crap condition.......

Nice tie in with Don Covay though Dave. I suppose if you buy a cracked record then “The Only Way Is Up”grade when you can.

Social source share

8 hours ago, El Corol said:

Which IMO can take us down the path to paying over the odds for crap condition.......

Nice tie in with Don Covay though Dave. I suppose if you buy a cracked record then “The Only Way Is Up”grade when you can.

of course..real soul people in the main are not millionaires

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!