Does The Scene Run Your Life?

Be interested to hear your stories, after being told that my life seems to be based around where Im going each weekend. Which is probably true, but as Im a dancer, love the music and have some great mates on the scene, I dont know anything else and not sure if I want to, what alternatives are there. Does the scene ruin your love life/friendship?

Social source share

• Replies 127
  • Views 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest in town Mikey

Funnily enough Paula said to me on Saturday, that my whole life is based around Bristol City or Northern Soul.

I went on holiday to Portugal because the footy was on, I have already booked my month in Germany for the world cup (2 weeks for England matches 2 weeks sightseeing :D ) and I plan visits to her sister in Scotland the same weekend as Caledonian soul.

I still cant see the point of her gripe?? What is wrong with combining a holiday with a soul night or a football match. It makes total sense to me, but then so does staying up all nigt dancing to obscure records that I often dont even know.

Social source share

Funnily enough Paula said to me on Saturday, that my whole life is based around Bristol City or Northern Soul.

I went on holiday to Portugal because the footy was on, I have already booked my month in Germany for the world cup (2 weeks for England matches 2 weeks sightseeing :D ) and I plan visits to her sister in Scotland the same weekend as Caledonian soul.

I still cant see the point of her gripe?? What is wrong with combining a holiday with a soul night or a football match. It makes total sense to me, but then so does staying up all nigt dancing to obscure records that I often dont even know.

link

Hi ya Mike, what can I say?! :D it seems you cant please everyone, I certainly cant! x :D

Hi

Social source share

I took the best looking girl i have ever met to her first soul night.Walked up to the bar and got two drinks,just then a record came on and i dashed for the dancefloor,then another tune...Came back after that to a face of thunder..She said "how dare you leave me standing on my own with the drinks in front of all these strange people"..We all know the answer why...I never met the girl again,real shame...Now its hard to find a nice single girl on the soul scene with her own teeth...

Social source share

I took the best looking girl i have ever met to her first soul night.Walked up to the bar and got two drinks,just then a record came on and i dashed for the dancefloor,then another tune...Came back after that to a face of thunder..She said "how dare you leave me standing on my own with the drinks in front of all these strange people"..We all know the answer why...I never met the girl again,real shame...Now its hard to find a nice single girl on the soul scene with her own teeth...

link

Hold on Stevie, Im a single girl now, and I have my own teeth and I have quite a few mates who are single with their own teeth, you just not going to the right places - you need to concentrate on your eyes and not others teeth!!

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

link

Something similar happened to me at Scenesville, in the original venue. I was chatting to Jessica Wrecker, and the Martells came on. I hadnt heard it in an age so shot onto the dancefloor. A couple who I had brought along said to me later that I was incredibly rude to the girl I was chatting too. I explained the situation, and checked with Jessica. She of course understood totally, my friends said she is just being polite. As Dwayne Wayne would say "its a different world".

I would also like to say Karen has fantastic teeth. :D

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

link

Yep and the same applies to the blokes re hair.....Don't be telling me that's not a wig.... :D:D

Social source share

Hold on Stevie, Im a single girl now, and I have my own teeth and I have quite a few mates who are single with their own teeth, you just not going to the right places - you need to concentrate on your eyes and not others teeth!!

link

Sorry Karen,i did not mean to be rude...Just a silly northern mankeeeeeeeee....Look forward to meeting all them single girls with real teeth....Could we set up speed dating on here???You meet a girl and talk shite to her for 36 hours about nothing and see if she still wants to know....Mery xmas Karen see you soon..

Social source share

Something similar happened to me at Scenesville, in the original venue. I was chatting to Jessica Wrecker, and the Martells came on. I hadnt heard it in an age so shot onto the dancefloor. A couple who I had brought along said to me later that I was incredibly rude to the girl I was chatting too. I explained the situation, and checked with Jessica. She of course understood totally, my friends said she is just being polite. As Dwayne Wayne would say "its a different world".

I would also like to say Karen has fantastic teeth. :D

link

Thank you Mike, yours not so bad too x :D

Social source share

link

Aww Steve - that's almost heart breaking :D:D I have a very beautiful mate, with lovely teeth :D (think Kate Thornton with black hair) , single, and have ocassionally taken her to soul events in the hope of pairing her off. The chat up lines always come to an abrupt halt with the "So what sort of soul do you like" Reply "I don't" ! "Oh right" says horny male - "what sort of music do you like ?" Reply "I don't" :D

Downhill all the way from there mate :D

Lonely hearts section in Freebasing ?????

PS I met my husband on the internet - now thats REALLY emabarassing.

Social source share

Sorry Karen,i did not mean to be rude...Just a silly northern mankeeeeeeeee....Look forward to meeting all them single girls with real teeth....Could we set up speed dating on here???You meet a girl and talk shite to her for 36 hours about nothing and see if she still wants to know....Mery xmas Karen see you soon..

link

Apology accepted :D there's a lot of us southern girls who have plenty of real teeth!! speed dating - do you mean teeth dating! Not sure if I would be up for that!

Ive had plenty of people talking shite for hours, (with and without hair!) wish I could be better judge of people and stop taking a lot of it in!!

No offence meant! Merry xmas to you (but I hate xmas! humbug!) x

Social source share

It's easy to get wrapped up in the scene and to forget that there is more to life. It's healthy to have a balanced range of interests as well as bits of plastic emanating from 60s Philadelphia. I like to think that I take soul music pretty seriously, but that I don't take myself that seriously if you see what I mean. It is a great scene based on very special music and I've met some of the greatest characters of my life out there in venues. However, more and more as I get about to venues I see more and more people - from a personal point of view - who just get it wrong. They either take the music or themselves far too seriously, are too f**king precious and miserable, and indulge in tedious and petty politics of the playground.

The great thing about the scene though - no matter what flavour of music you are into - is that the good will always outweigh the bad. And with that comes hope. The combination of that and music from the very depths of the soul will always make something very special. If non-scene people don't 'get' it then tough on them. I don't get why my dad waffles on about Sunderland AFC every time I phone him up, but I don't tell him to stop j/k

Come to think of it, I've told him to stop talking about Sunderland a few times lol

Each to their own.

Hammy

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

OFF TOPIC

All these Avitars with pictures of that lovely Kentish lady........ Does it make us look like a bunch of inbreds, with wierd lifestyles that dont fit into the popular norm??

just wundrin loike. But been off the site for a week, I come back, and its like the Forest of Dean on here.

Social source share

I think its a case of splitting you're time between going to niters and spending time elsewhere with a non scene partner..If you meet a partner on this scene then there is a good chance that everone knows you're business and that aint good at all...With all niters we have a chance to do both,go out with other people and then take off after midnight to dance the night away with a bunch of people who really understand you...

Social source share

Be interested to hear your stories, after being told that my life seems to be based around where Im going each weekend.  Which is probably true, but as Im a dancer, love the music and have some great mates on the scene, I dont know anything else and not sure if I want to, what alternatives are there.  Does the scene ruin your love life/friendship?

link

Oooh true confessions time. Far from ruining my life, it has made it as rich as could possibly be. Met JoT on the soul forums, when first met him in real life we spent the whole evening discussing Yate and Dave Thorleys spot, second occasion was a little soul do he DJ'd at, next time we fell in love on the Modern Room dancefloor at Prestwich, married 19 months later at LA Soul Festival, spend all of our social life at soul do's, collect together, play music together, talk records together. If soul runs my life than I say Hallelujah :D Now back to work for me I have a soul magazine to get published :D:D:D

Social source share

I'm back as a single fella after the weekend. One of the reasons in our discussion is that when I play out at a do I ignore her and left her on her own. The fact that she's getting rat-arsed sat with 3 of her mates is irrelevant.

The other reason is that she's a split personality psycho with issues.

And don't like Northern. Well she does a bit.

But I have to get to grips with my spending on vinyl. This is seriously getting out of hand for me, and if I carry on as I am doing, I'll have no house next year!!!! :D

What do I do? Sell my records to get back to a decent standard of living, or carry on as I am and be back at me Mams by March?? :D

Hope some of you can help.

But not all bad news, as there's more of this dashing young buck to go around all you ladies with their own teeth. And hair. :D

Jamie :D

Social source share

OFF TOPIC

All these Avitars with pictures of that lovely Kentish lady........ Does it make us look like a bunch of inbreds, with wierd lifestyles that dont fit into the popular norm??

just wundrin loike. But been off the site for a week, I come back, and its like the Forest of Dean on here.

link

Still Off Topic. Us inbreds on the SSCDT have an avatar theme each week. This time it was Janines turn to choose - and the theme is Janine :D:D

Social source share

It's easy to get wrapped up in the scene and to forget that there is more to life. It's healthy to have a balanced range of interests as well as bits of plastic emanating from 60s Philadelphia. I like to think that I take soul music pretty seriously, but that I don't take myself that seriously if you see what I mean. It is a great scene based on very special music and I've met some of the greatest characters of my life out there in venues. However, more and more as I get about to venues I see more and more people - from a personal point of view - who just get it wrong. They either take the music or themselves far too seriously, are too f**king precious and miserable, and indulge in tedious and petty politics of the playground.

The great thing about the scene though - no matter what flavour of music you are into - is that the good will always outweigh the bad.

Each to their own.

Hammy

link

Hi Hammy - hope you are well (last seen outside last Plinston with Chantel!)

spot on mate, say no more! x (c u soon, luv Karen cool.gif

Social source share

I think its a case of splitting you're time between going to niters and spending time elsewhere with a non scene partner..If you meet a partner on this scene then there is a good chance that everone knows you're business and that aint good at all...With all niters we have a chance to do both,go out with other people and then take off after midnight to dance the night away with a bunch of people who really understand you...

link

Hi Stevie, Ive had non scene partner and on scene one. Much better with the on scene one, but yes everyone knows your business - not that we had anything to hide of course! (But big disadvantages when that person is not here anymore.) But you always get people wanted to slag you down anyway, for whatever reason, smile and rise above it, thats what I do now. Great saying - while they are slagging you down, leaving some other poor sod alone!! Even when you get friendly with someone else on the scene, doesnt always work, they want to go to one place, you want to go to another!

Social source share

Aww Steve - that's almost heart breaking  :D   :D   I have a very beautiful mate, with lovely teeth  :D   (think Kate Thornton with black hair) , single, and have ocassionally taken her to soul events in the hope of pairing her off. The  chat up lines always come to an abrupt halt with the "So what sort of soul do you like" Reply "I don't" ! "Oh right" says horny male - "what sort of music do you like ?" Reply "I don't"  :D

Downhill all the way from there mate  :D

Lonely hearts section in Freebasing ?????

link

I Alison

What chance have i with nice girls like that,i spend my time at soul nights jumping on stage and kissing the djs when they play that tune for me,you should see there faces...Poor Carl Willingham got my lips wrapped round him a few times in Dublin...My grandad once said to me "i am not gay,i just help out when they are busy"classic..

Social source share

Oooh true confessions time. Far from ruining my life, it has made it as rich as could possibly be. Met JoT on the soul forums, when first met him in real life we spent the whole evening discussing Yate and Dave Thorleys spot, second occasion was a little soul do he DJ'd at, next time we fell in love on the Modern Room dancefloor at Prestwich, married 19 months later at LA Soul Festival, spend all of our social life at soul do's,  collect together, play music together, talk records together. If soul runs my life than I say Hallelujah  :D   Now back to work for me I have a soul magazine to get published  :D   :D   :D

link

Hi ya Alison, nice to hear lovely story, x

Social source share

Glad I started this topic, as I was having such a miserable day feeling stupid and sorry for myself, hope it made you laugh like it has me - she says with gleaming white teeth! :D:D

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Yep cool topic.

Just like to say, that breaking up with someone on the scene can be awkward. For you and your mates. Especially if you are as big a napsack as Mikey :D

Social source share

Met a really nice girl at Prestwich by the bar...She said come and find me in the modern room...I broke out in a cold sweat and thought"jeez i don't know anything past 1973 and she will ask me dance that 2 step thing".I walked to the door and had a look in,bling everywhere and good looking people with white teeth..I thought no i'm going back to the northern room,a creature of habit..I love seeing a crazy person high on reb bull(or something else)from the northern room go and dance like mad in the modern room,eyes coming out of there heads,vest,talc and sweating like soulville in a boy scouts hut...

Social source share

Yep cool topic.

Just like to say, that breaking up with someone on the scene can be awkward. For you and your mates. Especially if you are as big a napsack as Mikey :D

link

Mikey, you not a napsack hun, you are a sweetie dont let them tell you anything else. Yes can be awkward especially if you feel you have to be nice to them when you see them - of course, not that I would know!

Social source share

Only came back on to soul scene after spending more years away than I like to contemplate. I had wanted to start going out again, but felt I was probably too old to go to clubs, etc.

To cut a long boring story short I started going out and it has changed my life completely. I've got loads of friends who share my love of soul music (none of my old friends are that keen, although they used to be), and I go out several times a month and have a brilliant time. Mind you I'm wrecked in the morning, but who cares.

I don't think my wife was too keen on me going out at first, but after she met some of my friends and came to some of the clubs I go to, she has began to realise that it doesn't generally seem to be a "pulling" scene. Not full of predatory males or females on the lookout for members of the opposite or same sex.

Although she has been a soul lover as long as me, she is more into Motown than Northern, but I notice since coming out with me, she is appreciating my stuff more. She often says to me that she likes a track I am playing.

Most of my social life is based around going out to soul do's, it just seems to me that these are some of the best ways to spend my time. Guess I will grow up some day, but hopefully not too soon.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

link

Ha do you remember it all started because you put me in touch with Sue Raine on KTF :D

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I met my new mum on the scene, she's luvuly. I also found a new sister, she's nasty and mean to me. But I'm smarter than her, I have better records and she smells, so she can never win and I'll always be better than her. :D

The thing about soul music (be it northern, modern, funk, r+b etc) is it get's right under your skin. And when something get's under your skin everything around you seems a minor distraction compared to the thing that's biting away under your skin. That can be a bad thing if you need to get up for work or a bill needs paying but when you're on that dance floor, or you're behind the decks infront of a full dance floor the reason for living is so bloody obvious. And when you can share that with friends, family and loved ones it's amazing! The only regrets I have is that I wish the thing under my skin didn't cost a month's salary everytime I want to buy 2 1/2 minutes of it on a 7 inch piece of plastic. :angry:

Northern soul speed dating, lol that's funny! :D

(BTW mum, I'm trying to get that article done, but my shortcomings as a journalist are becoming clear to me. :D )

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

second occasion was a little soul do he DJ'd at,

link

It was a Pole Dancing club in Weston Super Mare :D:D remember when thoise two P*** heads tried to chat you and Dominique up :D:D:D

:D

Social source share

Met a really nice girl at Prestwich by the bar...She said come and find me in the modern room...I broke out in a cold sweat and thought"jeez i don't  know anything past 1973 and she will ask me dance that 2 step thing".

link

Ive had many one liners, asking me whose my fav dj, record, etc., also many people asking me about records, I havent a clue! I know enough to get by (think they assume I know coz of Randy) but its better than 'do you come here often' or 'wots a nice girl like you doing here' then you know they are not on the soul scene!!! :D:D

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I met my new mum on the scene, she's luvuly. I also found a new sister, she's nasty and mean to me. But I'm smarter than her, I have better records and she smells, so she can never win and I'll always be better than her. :D

The thing about soul music (be it northern, modern, funk, r+b etc) is it get's right under your skin. And when something get's under your skin everything around you seems a minor distraction compared to the thing that's biting away under your skin. That can be a bad thing if you need to get up for work or a bill needs paying but when you're on that dance floor, or you're behind the decks infront of a full dance floor the reason for living is so bloody obvious. And when you can share that with friends, family and loved ones it's amazing! The only regrets I have is that I wish the thing under my skin didn't cost a month's salary everytime I want to buy 2 1/2 minutes of it on a 7 inch piece of plastic. :angry:

Northern soul speed dating, lol that's funny! :D

(BTW mum, I'm trying to get that article done, but my shortcomings as a journalist are becoming clear to me. :D )

link

Was Xmas shopping on Saturday. Paula pulls this explosion in a paint factory garment from the mens section and asks if I'd like her to get me that for xmas.

'Thats a Trouble shirt' I said to her puzzlement. Honestly James, I think even you would have thought twice about it....Thought twice and still bought it tho :D:D

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Was Xmas shopping on Saturday. Paula pulls this explosion in a paint factory garment from the mens section and asks if I'd like her to get me that for xmas.

'Thats a Trouble shirt' I said to her puzzlement. Honestly James, I think even you would have thought twice about it....Thought twice and still bought it tho :D   :D

link

Tee hee, sounds great! I'll look forward to seeing it. If that CD I gave you didn't teach you a thing or two, at least you're catching on in the fashion stakes. :D

Social source share

Hi Hammy - hope you are well (last seen outside last Plinston with Chantel!)

spot on mate, say no more! x (c u soon, luv Karen cool.gif

link

Ah Karen - different Hammy. This is the scottish version - sponsored by Wrigleys. Occassionally seen at allnighters arguing about vegetables/footwear. ;-)

Hammy

Social source share

Ah Karen - different Hammy. This is the scottish version - sponsored by Wrigleys. Occassionally seen at allnighters arguing about vegetables/footwear. ;-)

Hammy

link

Big apologies, should have looked at the spelling! x

Social source share

Had a girl come up to me say at an all niter"my mate thinks you're nice but don't go over there now because she is sat with her husband and he gets violent"..Don't need that kind of thing at 4 in the morning with you're head already in bits...I found out she is free of him now,he got sent down for GBH when he came home and found her in bed with another geezer...Should i give her a call???Not on you're nelly....Ilike an easy life....

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Had a girl come up to me say at an all niter"my mate thinks you're nice but don't go over there now because she is sat with her husband and he gets violent"..Don't need that kind of thing at 4 in the morning with you're head already in bits...I found out she is free of him now,he got sent down for GBH when he came home and found her in bed with another geezer...Should i give her a call???Not on you're nelly....Ilike an easy life....

link

Whenever we meet now Steve I am going to have pictures of Rodney trotter in that oversize Camel Coat, chatting up the jailbirds wife :D:D

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Been thinking about this.

I was watching the American Football last night. Washington have a player called McCants. So I spent the whole match singing -'Try me for your new love'.

Then on the bus to work, there is a billboard with an advert reading 'Extra Extra read all about it'. So I have been singing -'Headline News' to myself all day.

I have been off work, and still spent 2 hours reading every post in the thread about the new club in the Dome. (Superb thread, but who was the mystery poster? PM me off line please if you know :D )

I also have a large overdraft, a credit card that is getting out of control, and a girlfriend who thinks i prefer Northern soul to her...er.um..anyway, I am still spending loads of my spare cash on records, and I havent even owned a record player in the last 15 years.

So maybe the scene does run my life. And I say. 'kin good job too.

Social source share

I was watching the American Football last night. Washington have a player called McCants. So I spent the whole match singing -'Try me for your new love'.

Then on the bus to work, there is a billboard with an advert reading 'Extra Extra read all about it'. So I have been singing  -'Headline News' to myself all day.

I have been off work, and still spent 2 hours reading every post in the thread about the new club in the Dome. (Superb thread, but who was the mystery poster? PM me off line please if you know :D )

I also have a large overdraft, a credit card that is getting out of control, and a girlfriend who thinks i prefer Northern soul to her...er.um..anyway, I am still spending loads of my spare cash on records, and I havent even owned a record player in the last 15 years.

So maybe the scene does run my life. And I say. 'kin good job too.

link

It must be hard if one loves northern and the other one does'nt I tell my other half I go night fishing on the way home I stop off at the market,I get a few cod wrap them up in newspaper put them on the kitchen table in the morning she said u had a goodnight fishing darling LOL

Social source share

Be interested to hear your stories, after being told that my life seems to be based around where Im going each weekend. Which is probably true, but as Im a dancer, love the music and have some great mates on the scene, I dont know anything else and not sure if I want to, what alternatives are there. Does the scene ruin your love life/friendship?

===========

Hi Karen,

I've been told similar :D From personal experience, relationships can suffer.....it depends, I suppose on how you prioritise. At the moment I'm single so what I'm doing at the weekend always comes to the fore. But when I'm in a relationship, I try to take into account the other persons views.

I like dancing, so I guess if I was with a partner who was a non soulie, she may find that irrititating, but I think it's down to the old chestnut, communication. Dancing enables me to shut out the world, I'm generally unaware of the people around me....apart from those who tread all over me :D I know you know what I mean......that guy at Wellingborough for instance :D But that's a whole different thread.

I don't know who told you that soul rules your life, but if you're in that place where thats what you want it to do....then so what, it's your decision. If you want something else to come into your life, you'll make that decision when you're ready. Don't lose any sleep over what was said, we each deal with things in our own way, and take new paths when we're ready, not when someone else tells us too.

Winnie:-)

P.S. I have read through this thread, and you do have nice teeth :D

Social source share

Then on the bus to work, there is a billboard with an advert reading 'Extra Extra read all about it'. So I have been singing -'Headline News' to myself all day.

=============

In true Johnny O'Trout style.....look into my eyes, not round the eyes.....you are an advertisers dream, when you read a flyer for the Marrs you will go out and buy said confectionary for a week.......3, 2, 1,.....and you're back in the room :D

Winnie:-)

Apologies to the Irish fish, O'Trout, for using his patent pending catchphrase without his permission..... :D

Social source share

It must be hard if one loves northern and the other one does'nt I tell my other half I go night fishing on the way home I stop off at the market,I get a few cod wrap them up in newspaper put them on the kitchen table in the morning she said u had a goodnight fishing darling LOL

link

Hi ya Billy, I thought that DVD and CD you gave me at Valatone smelt a bit fishy!! x

Social source share

you,re more than just nice teeth karen,you've got that huge lovely personality x now wheres my xmas card? x

link

nice to know you think that of me :D xx r u at xmas party, can give you xmas card and big kiss! x

Social source share

i have been told by my wife that i am obsessed with records but i hardly drink, never smoked do not do drugs, love northern and crossover and 70's only go out a couple of times a month, never played away, what more do women want, oh forgot i am handsome and debonair as well.

as far as i am concerned the soul scene is just like having a hobby.

looks like i am a boring record obsessed old fart :D

mark

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!