Does The Scene Run Your Life?

• Replies 127
  • Views 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I Alison

What chance have i with nice girls like that,i spend my time at soul nights jumping on stage and kissing the djs (snip)

link

Whenever I have a spot, you're on my guest list (if you promise not to do that) :D

By the way, on this whole subject, I'm often reminded of this little quote I saw on a site one time:

there is no doubt in my mind, that someday, somewhere, I will meet the girl of my dreams. The woman who was made just for me. She'll have a great sense of humor, a great personality, intelligence, and maybe even a great body.

And I'm confident that she'll also have a boyfriend.

Sounds famililar...

Edited by soulAdequate
Social source share

YOUR LIFE REVOLVES AROUND NORTHERN SOUL! (Directed toward you Karen. Get some tea-it's a long post!)

Oh man! I've got to say that I have heard this one before. The sad part is-I haven't got a decent do to go to, either-no scene to be on. I'm in the USA and from the USA, so I've got no one to talk northern with. So as a result, my girlfriend gets to hear me ramble on about all of this stuff that she has absolutely positvely no interest in at all. It's just my bad habit, I guess. I realize that I am an obsessive record collector in general and have a major obsession with northern soul. She is wonderful for putting up with it, too. She makes her opinions known, but doesn't give me ultimatums and things like that. Really, my gift to her is just shutting up about it. That's why this forum is so brilliant, because it gives me a place to "nerd out", make great friends and learn more about the music I love, because most people that I know really don't give a rat's ass that Paul Anka had a couple of songs on the northern scene.

We still try to compromise, though. We went to the LA Weekender together. She stayed in the hotel room and slept, read books, etc. I danced all night. In between, we relaxed, dined out, etc. There was no record shopping or any crap like that. After the event was over, we did things more her way and went to Catalina Island and spent time in nature with no cars, no music, and enjoyed ourselves. I planned the whole itinerary to make both of us happy and it worked out well. And I've really made a grand effort to open myself up to other things, especially nature, caring for animals more and appreciating the great things that aren't man-made. I also feel much better for it, too. I've lived too long being this walking machine of useless music facts and an all-consuming vinyl lawnmower. Being multi-faceted is more fulfilling for me.

BUT-on the same token, you've got to know yourself and accept yourself. You know what makes you happy, so you do it and enjoy it and get your inner-peace from it. With that said, I plan to come to Cleethorpes and bring my girl with me and let her see that there are people of all ages and all walks of life, who lead normal lives, that are enjoying this music and dancing, instead of sitting around on their asses. And since I've made the effort to explore her world more, she'll at least be able to get a handle on what makes me tick and why it does a little more. It wouldn't be to convert her or anything. Record collectors over here are a different breed for the most part. It can be a sad existence for many. There's little to no dancing, lots of cigarette smoking and not enough personal hygiene. She has seen this first hand and doesn't want those things to develop with me later on.

IF YOU'VE GOT THAT SONG ON A NORTHERN SOUL CD, WHY DO YOU NEED THE RECORD, TOO?! (Directed toward all of you vinyl maniacs out there, just like me)

Been around in circles many times over this question, too. The average person will never ever understand what exactly it is that drives a record collector to be this way. You just have to be into it to understand. Funny thing is, some collectors can't rightfully say why either. They just know that they have to have it. Extreme record collecting can truly be a sickness and ruin your life. I've seen it happen before. It's just like drugs but you feel that you can justify it because you haven't pissed it out. It's there in your box or on your shelf, gaining value. But the rituals and the high itself is just like a drug. When I go to a flea market in Baltimore and turn up a high dollar northern 45 for just pocket change, it drives me to keep on going. When I find the record, some sort of chemical giving a euphoric feeling is released in my brain. And you can't say a damn thing to me for the rest of the day that will get me down, either...cause I just scored Tony Middleton on MGM for 50 cents! For me, the joy of record collecting is the "finding treasure" aspect of it.

THEN THERE's EBAY....instant gratification. Oh God. We've all been there, right? A few years ago, when I still had credit cards and a much higher paying job, I was bad! One week, I dropped $500 for three 45s. Kind of gutted afterward, when times were harder. The sick thing is that would be a bargain today for top northern soul records! Prices are going through the roof! But you still HAVE to have it! So she says "IF YOU'VE GOT THAT SONG ON A NORTHERN SOUL CD, WHY DO YOU NEED THE RECORD, TOO?!" You can't exactly explain it other than that little piece of plastic is the real deal. The song stirs up feelings of happiness inside of you, it makes you want to dance and it's like owning a piece of art or a valuable antique. It symbolizes a part of what you stand for and you just know that it means a lot to you. I could go on... For all of you in the UK, you've actually got some memories attached to these songs.

Here's where I've come to terms: If I'm gonna keep my beautiful girlfriend and be healthy and sane, I can't blow all of my money on records. So, I've taken my 26 years of knowledge and my access to an abundant amount of records to make it work to my advantage financially. We all know how she'll perk up when you said you just flogged a record for $300. Works EVERY time. Also, I only use eBay to sell and almost never to buy, unless it's really cheap stuff or to get something that has eluded me for years that hasn't been put out on CD. I want to make a career out of eventually doing proper reissues of music and wheeling and dealing with records in the process. Life's too short to be miserable at a job I hate. I have to just remember that there are many copies of these northern records floating around, as we have all seen on eBay. Case in point: Charades on MGM, Tan Geers, Potty Time Man, Ace Spectrum... THIS SHIT IS EVERYWHERE! One day I'll get mine and so will you. I just have to live a normal life and not let the obsession take over. I'm trying to be smart about it and not just do it to fulfill a void. I know that voids can be fulfilled in more ways than just paying through the nose for a 45. When life used to feel meaningless, I spent even more money.

I have realized that records have come to define who I am as a person. Having a killer record collection that takes up an entire room, gives me power(in some circles) and the respect of my peers. It's given me lots of confidence and has made me feel important, more interesting, etc. But what good is that stuff when you're all alone? I would hate to be just some miserable slave to records, just being a slob all by myself. I would also hate to be completely one-sided as a person, too. This is why I'm mindful of bringing other things into my life and keeping my record collecting habits somewhat normal (at least by our standards, right?).

So if you've got a partner that is not necessarily into northern or records and that, but RESPECTS you, I truly believe that things can work and you can enjoy northern soul and many other things in life to the fullest if you can prioritize and compromise more often. I'm just as much into northern soul as I ever was, just more well-rounded as a person. Makes everything more enjoyable.

KTF

Jas

Social source share

Hi Karen I hope not,I did notice u are a good little mover on the dance floor if u don't mind me saying :D

link

Thanks Billy, nice of you to say. x thanks for the cd and dvd xx

Social source share

YOUR LIFE REVOLVES AROUND NORTHERN SOUL! (Directed toward you Karen. Get some tea-it's a long post!)

Oh man! I've got to say that I have heard this one before. The sad part is-I haven't got a decent do to go to, either-no scene to be on. I'm in the USA and from the USA, so I've got no one to talk northern with. So as a result, my girlfriend gets to hear me ramble on about all of this stuff that she has absolutely positvely no interest in at all. It's just my bad habit, I guess. I realize that I am an obsessive record collector in general and have a major obsession with northern soul. She is wonderful for putting up with it, too. She makes her opinions known, but doesn't give me ultimatums and things like that. Really, my gift to her is just shutting up about it. That's why this forum is so brilliant, because it gives me a place to "nerd out", make great friends and learn more about the music I love, because most people that I know really don't give a rat's ass that Paul Anka had a couple of songs on the northern scene.

We still try to compromise, though. We went to the LA Weekender together. She stayed in the hotel room and slept, read books, etc. I danced all night. In between, we relaxed, dined out, etc. There was no record shopping or any crap like that. After the event was over, we did things more her way and went to Catalina Island and spent time in nature with no cars, no music, and enjoyed ourselves. I planned the whole itinerary to make both of us happy and it worked out well. And I've really made a grand effort to open myself up to other things, especially nature, caring for animals more and appreciating the great things that aren't man-made. I also feel much better for it, too. I've lived too long being this walking machine of useless music facts and an all-consuming vinyl lawnmower. Being multi-faceted is more fulfilling for me.

BUT-on the same token, you've got to know yourself and accept yourself. You know what makes you happy, so you do it and enjoy it and get your inner-peace from it. With that said, I plan to come to Cleethorpes and bring my girl with me and let her see that there are people of all ages and all walks of life, who lead normal lives, that are enjoying this music and dancing, instead of sitting around on their asses. And since I've made the effort to explore her world more, she'll at least be able to get a handle on what makes me tick and why it does a little more. It wouldn't be to convert her or anything. Record collectors over here are a different breed for the most part. It can be a sad existence for many. There's little to no dancing, lots of cigarette smoking and not enough personal hygiene. She has seen this first hand and doesn't want those things to develop with me later on.

IF YOU'VE GOT THAT SONG ON A NORTHERN SOUL CD, WHY DO YOU NEED THE RECORD, TOO?! (Directed toward all of you vinyl maniacs out there, just like me)

Been around in circles many times over this question, too. The average person will never ever understand what exactly it is that drives a record collector to be this way. You just have to be into it to understand. Funny thing is, some collectors can't rightfully say why either. They just know that they have to have it. Extreme record collecting can truly be a sickness and ruin your life. I've seen it happen before. It's just like drugs but you feel that you can justify it because you haven't pissed it out. It's there in your box or on your shelf, gaining value. But the rituals and the high itself is just like a drug. When I go to a flea market in Baltimore and turn up a high dollar northern 45 for just pocket change, it drives me to keep on going. When I find the record, some sort of chemical giving a euphoric feeling is released in my brain. And you can't say a damn thing to me for the rest of the day that will get me down, either...cause I just scored Tony Middleton on MGM for 50 cents! For me, the joy of record collecting is the "finding treasure" aspect of it.

THEN THERE's EBAY....instant gratification. Oh God. We've all been there, right? A few years ago, when I still had credit cards and a much higher paying job, I was bad! One week, I dropped $500 for three 45s. Kind of gutted afterward, when times were harder. The sick thing is that would be a bargain today for top northern soul records! Prices are going through the roof! But you still HAVE to have it! So she says "IF YOU'VE GOT THAT SONG ON A NORTHERN SOUL CD, WHY DO YOU NEED THE RECORD, TOO?!" You can't exactly explain it other than that little piece of plastic is the real deal. The song stirs up feelings of happiness inside of you, it makes you want to dance and it's like owning a piece of art or a valuable antique. It symbolizes a part of what you stand for and you just know that it means a lot to you. I could go on... For all of you in the UK, you've actually got some memories attached to these songs.

Here's where I've come to terms: If I'm gonna keep my beautiful girlfriend and be healthy and sane, I can't blow all of my money on records. So, I've taken my 26 years of knowledge and my access to an abundant amount of records to make it work to my advantage financially. We all know how she'll perk up when you said you just flogged a record for $300. Works EVERY time. Also, I only use eBay to sell and almost never to buy, unless it's really cheap stuff or to get something that has eluded me for years that hasn't been put out on CD. I want to make a career out of eventually doing proper reissues of music and wheeling and dealing with records in the process. Life's too short to be miserable at a job I hate. I have to just remember that there are many copies of these northern records floating around, as we have all seen on eBay. Case in point: Charades on MGM, Tan Geers, Potty Time Man, Ace Spectrum... THIS SHIT IS EVERYWHERE! One day I'll get mine and so will you. I just have to live a normal life and not let the obsession take over. I'm trying to be smart about it and not just do it to fulfill a void. I know that voids can be fulfilled in more ways than just paying through the nose for a 45. When life used to feel meaningless, I spent even more money.

I have realized that records have come to define who I am as a person. Having a killer record collection that takes up an entire room, gives me power(in some circles) and the respect of my peers. It's given me lots of confidence and has made me feel important, more interesting, etc. But what good is that stuff when you're all alone? I would hate to be just some miserable slave to records, just being a slob all by myself. I would also hate to be completely one-sided as a person, too. This is why I'm mindful of bringing other things into my life and keeping my record collecting habits somewhat normal (at least by our standards, right?).

So if you've got a partner that is not necessarily into northern or records and that, but RESPECTS you, I truly believe that things can work and you can enjoy northern soul and many other things in life to the fullest if you can prioritize and compromise more often. I'm just as much into northern soul as I ever was, just more well-rounded as a person. Makes everything more enjoyable.

Jas email me offline though SoulSource and your ploblem will be solved

KTF

Jas

link

Social source share

Fortunately my husband & I have identical tastes in just about everything, but best of all soul music, he can't dance though :D so I have to sneak away when he has a go :D

Social source share

Yes - the scene runs the life of the Pikeys-Dog and myself...

We met 16 years ago though a shared interest in soul (he wanted a look at the LP under my arm!), went on our first date to a soul do and had a Northern wedding reception.

Sixteen years later we have just bought a house that is like a building site with no time to renovate it 'cos every spare weekend is spent at nighters and every spare penny is spent on vinyl.

I wouldn't change a thing in all this as, despite not having time to spare, we have some of the best friends we've ever had in our lives and have loved every minute of it all!! It has built more relationships than it has damaged. To top it off we're having a nighter for our 10th wedding anniversary next year...of course, you're all invited....

Edited by little miss sunshine
Social source share

KTF

Jas

link

hi jason

i would think it can get lonely just being a collector but the beauty of being a collector and into northern modern or any other style in england is that we have the clubs to meet like minded people, and chat to them about records and soul minutae and therefore not bore our partners, but we all have lives outside the scene. my wife and i travel quite a bit and our mutual close firends are not into soul so we spend a lot of time with them, but the only downside to a partner who does not like the same music is you have to keep it to yourself when you do find that bargain, because they do not have a clue and are not interested, like you say they just say something like why waste your money it just sits there in a box just buy it on cd

like you say you have to bend and enjoy life.

hopr you do come to cleethorpes next year we will have to have a chat have not been to baltimore nearest i have been is annapolis and washington we did a tour around washington and virginia and drove through maryland a couple of years ago.

will be in florida next year going to key west for 19 days and then to vegas four 4 days.

been to america about 8 times in last 6 years and only been in 3 record shops,

mark

Social source share

Yes - the scene runs the life of the Pikeys-Dog and myself...

We met 16 years ago though a shared interest in soul (he wanted a look at the LP under my arm!), went on our first date to a soul do and had a Northern wedding reception.

Sixteen years later we have just bought a house that is like a building site with no time to renovate it 'cos every spare weekend is spent at nighters and every spare penny is spent on vinyl.

I wouldn't change a thing in all this as, despite not having time to spare, we have some of the best friends we've ever had in our lives and have loved every minute of it all!! It has built more relationships than it has damaged. To top it off we're having a nighter for our 10th wedding anniversary next year...of course, you're all invited....

link

All these happy ending stories.. maybe there's even hope for me yet. One day my Reggie significant other may return from Canada and friends won't buy me t-shirts with "My boyfriend is out of town" logos... (haven't worn it....yet).

And does the scene run my life...sometimes.depends what's on, but I have been known to fork out extortionate babysitting fees so I could go to New Century for example...and then spent the next week eating beans on beans laugh.gif

Social source share

One regret I do have is that my wife don't drive so I have to drive everywhere which of course means I can't really drink, so I've had to perfect the art of acting pissed when other pissed soulies come and speak to me, can be quite funny at times. Suppose in some ways It's not a bad thing.

Because i enjoy travelling around alot, i've become an expert on motorway service areas, think I know them all on the M1, as most weekends i'm either going up or down it. I do sometimes bump into other soulies at services on there way to nighters laugh.gif

Social source share

One regret I do have is that my wife don't drive so I have to drive everywhere which of  course means I can't really drink, so I've had to perfect the art of acting pissed when other pissed soulies come and speak to me, can be quite funny at times.  Suppose in some ways It's not a bad thing.

Because i enjoy travelling around alot, i've become an expert on motorway service areas, think I know them all on the M1, as most weekends i'm either going up or down it.  I do sometimes bump into other soulies at services on there way to nighters :thumbsup:

link

Hi ya, I normally drive and not drink (I know apart from Sat!! - but I wasnt driving - only people round the bend! :D ) but I dont need to get pissed, in fact, I just cant dance when I am (which I also proved Sat!) :D:)

I just enjoy dancing and seeing friends, probably would have to get pissed if on a different scene to blend in more!

Hope to see any of you Sat at Luton - bringing along my mate with her own teeth too as well as our dancing feet!!

Social source share

Hi ya, I normally drive and not drink (I know apart from Sat!! - but I wasnt driving - only people round the bend!  :D ) but I dont need to get pissed, in fact, I just cant dance when I am (which I also proved Sat!)  :thumbsup:   :D

I just enjoy dancing and seeing friends, probably would have to get pissed if on a different scene to blend in more!

Hope to see any of you Sat at Luton - bringing along my mate with her own teeth too as well as our dancing feet!!

link

O.K then guy's who's off to Luton saturday.......... :)

Social source share

I'm back as a single fella after the weekend. One of the reasons in our discussion is that when I play out at a do I ignore her and left her on her own. The fact that she's getting rat-arsed sat with 3 of her mates is irrelevant.

The other reason is that she's a split personality psycho with issues.

And don't like Northern. Well she does a bit.

But I have to get to grips with my spending on vinyl. This is seriously getting out of hand for me, and if I carry on as I am doing, I'll have no house next year!!!!  :D

What do I do? Sell my records to get back to a decent standard of living, or carry on as I am and be back at me Mams by March??  :)

Hope some of you can help.

But not all bad news, as there's more of this dashing young buck to go around all you ladies with their own teeth. And hair.  :(

Jamie  :D

link

Hey- are you talking about my ex(Psycho with issues) cos it sounds like it and your absolutely right. main problem now is we have ayoung child who is my pride and joy. Worst thing about meeting them on the scene is even after the break up they still keep coming to haunt you! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hey- are you talking about my ex(Psycho with issues) cos it sounds like it and your absolutely right. main problem now is we have ayoung child who is my pride and joy. Worst thing about meeting them on the scene is even after the break up they still keep coming to haunt you! :thumbsup:

link

Heart goes out to you, Ernie. :)

I'm pretty lucky that I won't bump into mine again, on the scene anyway.

We just got to keep on keepin on to find the right one.

J :D

Social source share

"Hi ya, I normally drive and not drink (I know apart from Sat!! - but I wasnt driving - only people round the bend! ) but I dont need to get pissed, in fact, I just cant dance when I am (which I also proved Sat!)

I just enjoy dancing and seeing friends, probably would have to get pissed if on a different scene to blend in more!"

Hi Karen........Enjoyed your company saturday nite.

So what if you were a bit tipsy!

Just like to point out though, bar stools are sitting on!! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I took the best looking girl i have ever met to her first soul night.Walked up to the bar and got two drinks,just then a record came on and i dashed for the dancefloor,then another tune...Came back after that to a face of thunder..She said "how dare you leave me standing on my own with the drinks in front of all these strange people"..We all know the answer why...I never met the girl again,real shame...Now its hard to find a nice single girl on the soul scene with her own teeth...

link

Really? whistling.gif Jo
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

OFF TOPIC

All these Avitars with pictures of that lovely Kentish lady........ Does it make us look like a bunch of inbreds, with wierd lifestyles that dont fit into the popular norm??

just wundrin loike. But been off the site for a week, I come back, and its like the Forest of Dean on here.

link

I think you mean Maid of Kent........I believe both Janine and I were born on the RIGHT side of the Medway which makes us Maids of Kent and not Kentish Maids..........I kid you not whistling.gif JO

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Heart goes out to you, Ernie.  :(

I'm pretty lucky that I won't bump into mine again, on the scene anyway.

We just got to keep on keepin on to find the right one.

whistling.gif

link

Oooh, biting my tongue........... :yes: Jo
Social source share

Yes, a little lesson there - dont drink & type.

Regret not likely to make Saturday. Not even the thought of you liberating furniture can tempt me. Nearly said something else then, glad I didn't!

Back to the original question - Does The Scene Run Your Life. I'm gonna try really, really hard not to go Saturday - get some balance back in my life.

If you see me Saturday I've failed miserably & the scene does run my life.

Its Wed eve & I reckon I've got a reasonable chance......

Social source share

Yes, a little lesson there - dont drink & type.

Regret not likely to make Saturday. Not even the thought of you liberating furniture can tempt me. Nearly said something else then, glad I didn't!

Back to the original question - Does The Scene Run Your Life. I'm gonna try really, really hard not to go Saturday - get some balance back in my life.

If you see me Saturday I've failed miserably & the scene does run my life.

Its Wed eve & I reckon I've got a reasonable chance......

O

link

Oh go on Colin, fail as badly as me, I dare you?!!! x whistling.gif

Im going to see what I can pick up, Chair or Stool, cant wait!!! :yes:

Social source share

Be interested to hear your stories, after being told that my life seems to be based around where Im going each weekend.  Which is probably true, but as Im a dancer, love the music and have some great mates on the scene, I dont know anything else and not sure if I want to, what alternatives are there.  Does the scene ruin your love life/friendship?

link

well ive had to sell stuff from my house to fund record buyin trips

Social source share

Listen here Pipkins - or whatever ur name is*

Its too easy to spot me dancing, my entourage is always visible,

St Johns Ambulance, Paramedics and represenatives from Claims Direct.

No I wiil not be going to Luton, because I have balance in my life.

Unlike my dancing where I have no balance whatsover.

*I bet you saw a lot of Norman Wisdom film in the 70's!

Social source share

This is definate misuse of furniture and I'm pretty angry about it.

The chair will need years of therapy.

Karen although having terribly abused a bar stool herself will not be happy either.

Still Pipkins, thats a tough break Northern Soul AND chubby chasing!

Tried combing the two?

Social source share

This is definate misuse of furniture and I'm pretty angry about it.

The chair will need years of therapy.

Karen although having terribly abused a bar stool herself will not be happy either.

Still Pipkins, thats a tough break Northern Soul AND chubby chasing!

Tried combing the two?

=============

There are chubby people on the n/s scene? next you'll be saying there's a glut of baldies whistling.gif

Winnie:-)

Social source share

"ive seen u dance soulsmith

my bank balance is better then your dancefloor balance

u r to dancing as david blunkett is to site seeing"

I sort of understand the above, but just in the spirit of fair play I'm going to buy you a dictionary for Christmas. They have one in the 'Special Needs' shop down the road, its even got big pictures in it for you.

Although looking at the above pic of your house, there's a limit to where you can stick it whistling.gif

Social source share

Colin is a good dancer but you havent seen anything until you have seen Emma!!

===========

Strange this is another of my pet topics. Women on the scene (in general) are better dancers than men....yourself, Emma, Chantelle, Anne, Carole, Caz McCarthy....all really good dancers. I just think you feel the music better on the whole. Just my opinion, and not written to gain brownie points.....HONESTLY.

Win:-)

Social source share

Colin and Winnie both good dancers but you havent seen anything until you have seen Emma!!

link

Emma certainly can dance!

But Karen, you haven't seen anything until you've seen a video of YOU dancing. :(

Winnie, agree about the women being better than the men, but that is the same in any dancing environment :yes:

Partly due to physiology, agility, lack of self-consciousness etc as well as a feel for the music.

Incidentally, there are one or two girls who contibute on here who seldom dance, but when they do are amongst the best and I sometimes wonder why they don't take to the floor more often whistling.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert