Does The Scene Run Your Life?

• Replies 127
  • Views 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

My take on the original question - "Does the scene run your life?".....

Seeing as am organising work and family/other social commitments over xmas with soul events in mind...

and seeing as I am currently changing my car for a faster, more economical one, purely because of the 3-400 miles I seem to travel each weekend souling...

I would have to "Yes, certainly seems that way" :yes:

But why not....?

I've done my stint of paying school fees, (and working my rocks off to do so)

I've spent countless Saturday nights at places I didn't want to be, talking to friends of my ex-wife who I didn't want to talk to about things I wasn't interested in....

And now I am enjoying the thing I most want to do; enjoying it more than in the 70s/80s :(

Something the majority of "normal" people wouldn't be able to understand even if they were lucky enough to stumble upon it.

Where else can you find what we all enjoy at an all-nighter?

The buzz of sharing enjoyment in the familiar music, the thrill of hearing new records, the making of new friends every week, the anticipation of visiting a new venue etc etc

Its unique, and at the moment I just want to get as much pleasure from the scene as possible, so it can run my life for a while yet whistling.gif

Social source share

My take on the original question - "Does the scene run your life?".....

Seeing as am organising work and family/other social commitments over xmas with soul events in mind...

and seeing as I am currently changing my car for a faster, more economical one, purely because of the 3-400 miles I seem to travel each weekend souling...

I would have to "Yes, certainly seems that way" :yes:

But why not....?

I've done my stint of paying school fees, (and working my rocks off to do so)

I've spent countless Saturday nights at places I didn't want to be, talking to friends of my ex-wife who I didn't want to talk to about things I wasn't interested in....

And now I am enjoying the thing I most want to do; enjoying it more than in the 70s/80s :(

Something the majority of "normal" people wouldn't be able to understand even if they were lucky enough to stumble upon it.

Where else can you find what we all enjoy at an all-nighter?

The buzz of sharing enjoyment in the familiar music, the thrill of hearing new records, the making of new friends every week, the anticipation of visiting a new venue etc etc

Its unique, and at the moment I just want to get as much pleasure from the scene as possible, so it can run my life for a while yet  whistling.gif

link

I hope you carry on getting as much pleasure as pos!!!

Social source share

Are women better dancers than men?...thats an interesting one!

Certainly know who Karen & Emma are off the above list & enjoy watching them dance, regret don't know the others. Women are certainly much better to watch visually, but I really don't know if they are actually better dancers.

Purely in the pursuit of knowledge, I'd be happy to go head to head, toe to toe with any female dancer Saturday nite whistling.gif

Bollocks I've just remembered I'm not going as I'm trying to get a bit of balance in my life. :yes:

Totally agree with Dave's comments above. But its still possible to over cook the scene. The expression 'too much of a good thing' sums it up for me right now.

Social source share

Certainly know who Karen & Emma are off the above list & enjoy watching them dance, regret don't know the others. Women are certainly much better to watch visually, but I really don't know if they are actually better dancers.

Purely in the pursuit of knowledge, I'd be happy to go head to head, toe to toe with any female dancer Saturday nite  laugh.gif  

Bollocks I've just remembered I'm not going as I'm trying to get a bit of balance in my life. :(

Totally agree with Dave's comments above. But its still possible to over cook the scene. The expression 'too much of a good thing' sums it up for me right now.

link

You better turn up Sat, I will take you on head to toe at Luton, I dare you?!! :yes: I love too much of a good thing!!! :(

Social source share

Thank you Winston x I agree with you about feeling the music, but I do feel some men feel it too!! Ive given you loads of brownie points!!!  laugh.gif

link

Mmm,Are women dancers better than men... I quite like the fact that you can have a good dance and not worry so much about people taking the proverbial when you're at a soul do. When you start talking about who's the best etc you're going down the rocky road of northern soul dancing lessons and dancing competitions..... :yes::(

( But men...absolutely definitely....)!

Social source share

Mmm,Are women dancers better than men... I quite like the fact that you can have a good dance and not worry so much about people taking the proverbial when you're at a soul do. When you start talking about who's the best etc you're going down the rocky road of northern soul dancing lessons and dancing competitions..... laugh.gif:yes:

( But men...absolutely definitely....)!

=============

I'm not talking about competitions, just saying that to me visually women interpret the music better. They're more elegant and far more of them seem to be in time. Guys tend to be more dramatic when they hit a drop sequence I suppose, but being a good dropper, spinner etc doesn't hide an inability to dance. Obviously I'm not saying all men do this, or that all women are great dancers, just that, and I know it's a bit of a sweeping statement, on the whole women are better, IMO :(

Winnie:-)

Social source share

This is definate misuse of furniture and I'm pretty angry about it.

The chair will need years of therapy.

Karen although having terribly abused a bar stool herself will not be happy either.

Still Pipkins, thats a tough break Northern Soul AND chubby chasing!

Tried combing the two?

link

wots chubby chasing got to so with n/s?

Social source share

Emma certainly can dance!

But Karen, you haven't seen anything until you've seen a video of YOU dancing. :D

Winnie, agree about the women being better than the men, but that is the same in any dancing environment :shhh:

Partly due to physiology, agility, lack of self-consciousness etc as well as a feel for the music.

Incidentally, there are one or two girls who contibute on here who seldom dance, but when they do are amongst the best and I sometimes wonder why they don't take to the floor more often :D

link

Please explain about this video Im in?!!! x

Social source share

..may have something to do with age as well. Once upon a time, men were the peacocks...  :D

link

They still are IMO, I love the seating area at Prestatyn in the northern room where you can have a great view watching some brilliant dancers the best ones always stand out from the crowd ,mainly they are guys who seem to have the edge on dancing even better when they wear the original high waisted baggy trousers or sleeveless vests ooooh those muscles :shhh:

Social source share

Didn't mean you are in one, meant you perhaps don't realise what a good dancer you are because you can't see yourself as others do!

:D

link

that is so sweet of you Dave, :D you probably right I don't, not always sure how others see me?! :shhh:

:D

Social source share

Strange this is another of my pet topics. Women on the scene (in general) are better dancers than men....yourself, Emma, Chantelle, Anne, Carole, Caz McCarthy....all really good dancers. I just think you feel the music better on the whole. Just my opinion, and not written to gain brownie points.....HONESTLY.

Win:-)

link

And one would have to add to that list the young lady at Samantha's 25/10/04 who was practically bouncing off the walls all night!

(ps - strange innit, we have 2 smileys for wanking and one for fighting but a dancing one I have to poach off SomethingAwful? )

Social source share

Purely in the pursuit of knowledge, I'd be happy to go head to head, toe to toe with any female dancer Saturday nite  biggrin.gif  

link

Some women might be better than some men but you could just as easily be at a venue where it's the other way around.

I'm just pleased to tell you all that after sitting around mostly rather than dancing, for most of the year I managed to spend a good few hours on the dancefloor at the Marrs Barr last night.

After major surgery in Feb it took a while to get up and dance to more than a couple of records without being totally out of breath. No sooner did I begin to feel fit than I had problems with my left knee. Anyway, all now cured, teaches you not to take dancing for granted though. Just enjoy it.

Gaye

Social source share

We met 16 years ago though a shared interest in soul (he wanted a look at the LP under my arm!), went on our first date to a soul do and had a Northern wedding reception.

Anyone on here who can beat this. We met on a coach coming back from Wigan in 1973. So will be celebrating 31 years together this year. Married same day as Wigan 3rd anniversary in 1976.

A tip for those of you still looking. The time to find the person you're gonna spend the rest of your life with is at the end of a niter when they look their worst. It also helps if they support the football team you hate.

Gaye

Social source share

Does the scene ruin your love life/friendship?

link

Just a thought.

Are there many ladies on the scene who`s partner/husband has never been part of it.

I can see how this could create friction because, without being sexist, most non scene men would assume that an all nighter is some sort of drunken orgy ( I wish! ) and "forbid" their ladies from going.

Also again without being sexist any ladies with children must have to put up with the disapproval of friends and family who could not understand that you go out all night for very innocent reasons.

I think that it is a lot easier for a man than a lady or am I being sexist after all.

Social source share

Just a thought.

Are there many ladies on the scene who`s partner/husband has never been part of it.

I can see how this could create friction because, without being sexist, most non scene men would assume that an all nighter is some sort of drunken orgy ( I wish! ) and "forbid" their ladies from going.

Also again without being sexist any ladies with children must have to put up with the disapproval of friends and family who could not understand that you go out all night for very innocent reasons.

I think that it is a lot easier for a man than a lady or am I being sexist after all.

link

My ex told me he liked Northern when I met him but I quickly realised he meant The Snake. Periodically I'd drag him to an handbag do but he didn't get it. He definitely didn't approve of all niters even tho he'd spend 12 hours on a strong lager session with the lads in the pub and our "social life" was a night out to the curry house every couple of months. We split up last year and I started going out again and now I've got my bloody mother to contend with. "Oooh why are you staying out all night, I don't like you driving all over the place in the middle of the night..." etc etc. So for an easy life I lie and don't tell her I'm at an all niter nearly every Saturday night. When she looks after my daughter I tell her I'm going to a birthday party or a soul night and collect her the next afternoon when I've had a bit of kip. I know it's the same with a lot of my female friends with children. Women are judged far more harshly than men I'm afraid to say :thumbsup:thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

this is so easy , i would never be with anyone not involved with the scene , i could not go through the (now its my turn bit ) ie you have had your soul night ,now we will attend the u2 concert . aarrrrgggghh !

Social source share

Anyone on here who can beat this. We met on a coach coming back from Wigan in 1973. So will be celebrating 31 years together this year. Married same day as Wigan 3rd anniversary in 1976.

A tip for those of you still looking. The time to find the person you're gonna spend the rest of your life with is at the end of a niter when they look their worst. It also helps if they support the football team you hate.

Gaye

link

didnt realise this topic still going! Sorry been busy enjoying myself at luton last nite - acting the prat! There's photos somewhere!!! :yes:wink.gif

Funny you should say that about end of the nite, I always say that, that at least 'they've seen you at your worst!' apart from when you have had too much to drink too - cant get no worse than that! :P

Social source share

Just a thought.

link

No sexist taken. difficult for females - as partners do not understand how they can go out all nite with group of men (&/or woman) kiss, hug, etc all - come home look with hair mess, no make up on, changed clothes/sweaty clothes/body and worn out and dont believe you have just been dancing all nite!!! only true on this scene!!!

Social source share

My ex told me he liked Northern when I met him but I quickly realised he meant The Snake. Periodically I'd drag him to an handbag do but he didn't get it.  He definitely didn't approve of all niters even tho he'd spend 12 hours on a strong lager session with the lads in the pub and our "social life" was a night out to the curry house every couple of months.  We split up last year and I started going out again and now I've got my bloody mother to contend with. "Oooh why are you staying out all night, I don't like you driving all over the place in the middle of the night..." etc etc. So for an easy life I lie and don't tell her I'm at an all niter nearly every Saturday night. When she looks after my daughter I tell her I'm going to a birthday party or a soul night and collect her the next afternoon when I've had a bit of kip.  I know it's the same with a lot of my female friends with children.  Women are judged far more harshly than men I'm afraid to say :yes:   wink.gif

link

unfortunately think you are right! but as long as you are enjoying yourself, life's too short x

Social source share

My ex told me he liked Northern when I met him but I quickly realised he meant The Snake. Periodically I'd drag him to an handbag do but he didn't get it.  He definitely didn't approve of all niters even tho he'd spend 12 hours on a strong lager session with the lads in the pub and our "social life" was a night out to the curry house every couple of months.  We split up last year and I started going out again and now I've got my bloody mother to contend with. "Oooh why are you staying out all night, I don't like you driving all over the place in the middle of the night..." etc etc. So for an easy life I lie and don't tell her I'm at an all niter nearly every Saturday night. When she looks after my daughter I tell her I'm going to a birthday party or a soul night and collect her the next afternoon when I've had a bit of kip.  I know it's the same with a lot of my female friends with children.  Women are judged far more harshly than men I'm afraid to say :yes:   wink.gif

link

==============

Think you're right, women are judged more harshly than men, but that is in all walks of life. Not saying it's right, just saying it happens.

I know this won't be a popular view, but I also think the girls on the scene seem to be victim these days to the 'predators' that wander the venues. When I say victim I don't mean that they fall for the flannel put out by some of these guys, but I have seen many girls harrassed. Just my opinion by the way...but the scene has definitely changed over the years.

Winnie:-)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!