Sad News on the passing of Freddie Cole

Mal C

Only just learnt of this, I knew Freddie's music via the very much loved 'I'd Have it Made' on Tru-Glo-Town Records, a very beautiful beat ballad. Rest in Peace.

Freddie Cole died 27th June, 2020 after a career of almost seventy years singing and playing piano. He was 88 years old. Born Lionel Frederick Cole in Chicago, October 15, 1931, Freddy Cole was younger brother to Eddie, Ike and Nat "King" Cole.
https://allaboutjazz.com/freddy-cole-leaves-the-stage-freddy-cole

• Up vote 3
Social source share

I never knew he was Nat's, Eddie's, and Ike's brother.  His voice has much less family resemblance than the other three, although it does have some level of their smoothness and familial tone. 

Edited by Robbk
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Nor I Robb until I saw the linked obituary. Also did not know anything about Eddie, but he has a wiki page >>HERE<< which says he was the eldest of ten children, inc obviously Nat.  I always thought Freddie's voice sounded like Nat King Cole, just never bothered to check it...

Social source share

Just now, Mal C said:

Nor I Robb until I saw the linked obituary. Also did not know anything about Eddie, but he has a wiki page >>HERE<< which says he was the eldest of ten children, inc obviously Nat.  I always thought Freddie's voice sounded like Nat King Cole, just never bothered to check it...

Yes, Eddie was the oldest, and he was a Jazz/Swing combo leader, musician, and vocalist, as well.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!