Dorothy Berry - You Better Watch Out

Richard

Never ceases to amaze me where some of these tracks got issued, not meaning it in a funny way but what sort of market would there have been for a South African or Danish release? Must have only been couple of hundred copies sold at the time if that?

Social source share

10 hours ago, Richard said:

Never ceases to amaze me where some of these tracks got issued, not meaning it in a funny way but what sort of market would there have been for a South African or Danish release? Must have only been couple of hundred copies sold at the time if that?

Yes, but a couple of hundred copies are still a couple of hundred copies. :) Even chart hits of the time sold in the low thousands. Denmark had its own Dot division, releasing 100+ records, in the beginning mostly Pat Boone, Mills Brothers and US hits like Chantays "Pipeline" and Surfaris "Wipe Out", but also some interesting releases with picture sleeves like Arthur Alexander "You Better Move On" and chanced on stuff like Surf Bunnies, Carolyn Hester and Dorothy Berry. What was released was most likely just down to the taste of the people that worked at the label at the time. A variant of the old "throw everything at the wall and something will stick".

Most interesting Scandinavian Dot release must be the Norway 45 release of The Phantom "Love Me", extremely few known copies.

Edited by Sebastian
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

If Denmark had its own Dot Division I guess they couldn't pick and choose what to release, having to take the lesser known stuff along side the US big sellers.  

Couple of thousand sales might get you a hit in Denmark but I doubt that figure would have worried the charts in the UK in the 60s.

As for South Africa, lots of US releases saw a release there.

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Chalky said:

If Denmark had its own Dot Division I guess they couldn't pick and choose what to release, having to take the lesser known stuff along side the US big sellers.  

Couple of thousand sales might get you a hit in Denmark but I doubt that figure would have worried the charts in the UK in the 60s.

As for South Africa, lots of US releases saw a release there.

Including said 45 in question - on Dot !!

I only found this out myself yesterday, in conversation with Russ Holley.. Who has a copy

Edited by Ficklefingers
additional info
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

48 minutes ago, Ficklefingers said:

Including said 45 in question - on Dot !!

I only found this out myself yesterday, in conversation with Russ Holley.. Who has a copy

I have a Righteous Bros "Souled Out" Lp that is from a South African Radio Station.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Found this review

"Ain't That Love" by Dorothy Berry is a superior, uptempo Northern soul dance floor filler, driven by guitar, harmonica and powerful drumming, female backing vocals supporting Dorothy as she forcefully expresses her undying affection for her man.

Cash Box reviewed the record favourably in its 5 December 1964 issue:-

Dot's new R&B subsid is underway with an infectious dance-romp. Besides the effective warble by the lark, there's fine percussion-guitar-harmonica work and a femme chorus. Can show speedy chart results.

Unfortunately, their prediction did not prove accurate, the record failing to chart.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!