Fish Fingers

Losing a pet

I have been here before a few times, but my God its painful. 

Our cat (Bailey) is on his very last legs. He's stopped eating and drinking and has thrown the towel in. 

We have had him 10 (great) years and he has been my little mate from day 1. Constantly getting in trouble and fighting. But hugely funny and loyal. 

You know this day will come when you take them on (unless you go first!) - but it is just so so heartbreaking.

Sorry.... Just need to share through all the tears. 

• Up vote 9

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Hi

I know how you feel , we recently lost our beloved cat Scooter (Peachie) who was around 20 years old. It broke our hearts and we cried for weeks after but you move on and get over it eventually.

The strange thing was we have had no proper holidays apart from the odd day out in the last 8 years because we refused to put him in a cattery and the day he was put to sleep Boris put us in lockdown!

The good news is we are hoping to take a week away somewhere soon fingers crossed.

Another thing is we will never have another pet as he was so unique and nothing could ever replace him.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Thanks for the reply Craig. 

I know exactly where you are coming from with all those points. Similar issues as we have / have had. 

I have been here before and vowed never to again, but Bailey sort of landed with us in 2010 as he needed a home urgently. 

We are both shattered now. He is still hanging on bless him. It's pouring down outside but he is still out there in his cat pod. Won't come in. Always been an outdoor boy. 

Heartbreaking though seeing our King cat become so weak and thin. 

He's not eaten or drunk for a few days now, thrown the towel in. 

Just in bits. 

Edited by Fish Fingers

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

So sorry to hear that. There are no words of consolation at a time like this. What you have to hang onto is the good years that you shared, what his life would have been like without someone who evidently cared as you do and allow him to pass in the dignified fashion you would wish for yourself.

It is hearbreaking, and many do not understand how upsetting it is, but they aren't just "pets", you share your life with them, open your heart unconditionally, and it is a relationship like no other.

My thoughts are with you - and I know that how scant that comfort is.

Best wishes

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Cats rule! We have recently adopted a stray long haired black cat (Just last week we had it chipped and 'done') He's so huge! And is really affectonate to the point of "leave me alone!" :D

I was bought up having various cats in the family - 'Gilbert & Sullivan' / 'Topsy & Turvey' / 'Punk' / 'Rubarb & Custard'.  After Rubarb died, it was funny when the vet came out to call just 'Custard' when we paid a visit :D

It was always heart breaking when a cat passed away, so I really feel for you - The amount of comfort and pleasure they give makes their passing so hard - In time you will look back on your fond memories with a smile.

Not just yet I know, but I think a new cat would also bring you joy, just a new chapter :wink:

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Thanks so much for the heartfelt replies. They are really helping. 

He was so weak last night when we left him, that we both decided on the off-chance if he didn't pass away overnight, we would get the vet over to put him out of any pain today. 

Got up at first light and no sign. 

Performed a huge search of the neighborhood and field in the pouring rain....Searching through all the bushes and undergrowth....cut to ribbons.....looking for a lifeless wet cat to bring home, only to find him over a fence (he could barely move last night) in a neighbours garden.

Still won't eat or drink though and painfully thin. 

I have now realised that this is going to be done on his terms, in his time. Which actually helps with our decisions. 

Bailey.... What a character. Always have been, always will be. 

20160722_151823.jpg

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Hardest decision ever - I've been there so many times with various pets 😢xxxxxxxxxxxxx💔💔

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Do try to keep in mind that when you lose you pet you gave them the best life they could have ever wished for.

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
7 hours ago, Simon T said:

Do try to keep in mind that when you lose you pet you gave them the best life they could have ever wished for.

Agree 100% , not having another pet is something I 4T but Medli has her own personality and don’t regret having her , the 2 staffies are like chalk & cheese .

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Bailey passed away peacefully in the back garden this morning. 

We have the most amazing vet Who came over this morning and we were all with him as he passed away. 

Thankyou everyone who posted on here and the PM. It honestly helped me through these few incredibly tough days. 

• Up vote 7

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

1. I Believe I'm Losing You
    Record Wants by dob on Thu 06 Jul 2006
    • 7 / 887
    • mark b on 07 Jul 2006
  2. Billy Hawks-oh Baby,i Believe Im Losing Yougenius Of The Blues Lp
    Look At Your Box by arnie j on Thu 08 Jul 2010
    • 17 / 1189
    • Adam Topping on 11 Jul 2010
  3. Vanguards - The Thought Of Losing Your Love (lamp) Ex (promo) Sold
    Record Sales by waterfall_manc on Sun 07 Oct 2012
    • 1 / 504
    • waterfall_manc on 07 Oct 2012
  4. Tyrone Davis - I'm Running A Losing Race Reduced With Sound
    Record Sales by SOULFULHOUND on Thu 30 Apr 2015
    • 1 / 620
    • SOULFULHOUND on 30 Apr 2015
  5. Reduced -summits - I Can´t Get Over Losing You.
    Record Sales by mosk on Mon 29 Jan 2018
    • 1 / 659
    • mosk on 29 Jan 2018
  6. Incredibles - I Cant Get Over Losing You
    Record Sales by Gary Brown on Fri 04 Feb 2011
    • 1 / 431
    • Gary Brown on 04 Feb 2011

Source Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.