VAN JONES - I WANT TO GROOVE YOU

Hill868

I see a copy of VAN JONES ' I want to goove you ' is currently going to go for good money on Ebay, on CONWAY Records (is this a Detroit label?), I've had this side for years on SILVER SOUND Records, credited to Van Jones and the Jays.  Always thought this was a much cheaper release than the similar titled ' I just want to love you ', altho' always thought the ' Groove' release a better disc.  Is it gettging played, and does anyone know which label came first ?

Social source share

11 hours ago, Hill868 said:

I see a copy of VAN JONES ' I want to goove you ' is currently going to go for good money on Ebay, on CONWAY Records (is this a Detroit label?), I've had this side for years on SILVER SOUND Records, credited to Van Jones and the Jays.  Always thought this was a much cheaper release than the similar titled ' I just want to love you ', altho' always thought the ' Groove' release a better disc.  Is it gettging played, and does anyone know which label came first ?

Van Jones is considered by most as a Virginia artist, as most of his output appeared on Virginia labels ie Norfolk sound, Silver sound, Impulse etc. However there is a cut on Indian River with a Detroit address. The publishing on the Conway release is Twenty grand music, again registered to Warren Miller in Norfolk Virginia. One of the Silver sound releases has a California address, but maybe pressed there to get his music to a wider Audience. I had both copies you refere to at one point only to sell the Silver sound copy and keep the Conway as it seemed at the time to be the more desirable of the two.Could well of been pressed and distributed in Detroit in a move to 'Get it out there' as they say. But given that it has no distinct musical traits associated with Detroit i'm inclined to still call it a Virginia record. I like his material the ballad on Norfolk sound probably my favorite. Another mine field of label variants.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

The flip, "Your Love Is Like A High" is a very desirable record amongst the Californian Sweet Soul collectors and would change hands at a premium rate if it ever comes up, that probably explains the interest on Ebay, gem of a record IMHO

Kev

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

I consider the Conway release the rarer of the 2 and a hard one to track down.

" I wanna groove you" has been in my play box for a good 8 years and as Kev says the flip is the current must have on the Sweet soul scene Stateside. Both labels are desirable but which one is prehaps an individual choice?

Dave H. 

Social source share

22 hours ago, Dave Pinch said:

are the flips not different on the silver sound and the conway releases and probably the reason why it goes for more on conway

Dave you are probably right as the Conway release is a great double header with the sweet soul side.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!