Ricky Gee - I'll Get You There - Conduc Records

Drew3

Please can anyone answer some questions regarding this record.

Firstly, there are several video's of this record on YouTube but there seems to be a difference in the speed of a least one, the yellow one compared to the red label video by JM and another showing a white demo.  The latter two are a lot faster.  Does anyone know which indicates the correct speed as the 'slower version' isn't half as good, to my ears at least?!!!

Secondly, which is the first issue or is there no difference in that regard between the red and yellow copies (JM has two different red copies also!!!).

And thirdly, is/was Ricky Gee blue eyed?  When the song starts it seems to me that this is a white artiste but as the record progresses I am not sure.   

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Drew. 

Social source share

3 hours ago, Drew3 said:

Please can anyone answer some questions regarding this record.

Firstly, there are several video's of this record on YouTube but there seems to be a difference in the speed of a least one, the yellow one compared to the red label video by JM and another showing a white demo.  The latter two are a lot faster.  Does anyone know which indicates the correct speed as the 'slower version' isn't half as good, to my ears at least?!!!

Secondly, which is the first issue or is there no difference in that regard between the red and yellow copies (JM has two different red copies also!!!).

And thirdly, is/was Ricky Gee blue eyed?  When the song starts it seems to me that this is a white artiste but as the record progresses I am not sure.   

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Drew. 

As far as I remember, "Ricky Gee" was Richard Goldsby  (family originally related to the family with the surname, Goolsby), and was an African-American.  I remember seeing a few photos of him.  He was Bob Lee's partner in a couple tiny Chicago record labels, and a songwriter, and helped Lee with production.

As far as the versions, I bought the yellow Conduc issue, which was the common one, which was pretty pervasive locally.  I don't remember seeing the red one in stores.  So, my guess is that the red version might have been the original version, which didn't sell, or Lee couldn't get DJs to play, so he recorded a different version, or changed the speed to make it more marketable, based on people's reaction to the first version.

Edited by Robbk
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Just ordered a copy from JM.  Seems from his site that Conduc 101 Red is the first press with a second run 102 for which there is a red issue and white promo. Yellow seems to be 102 from what I can make out from images on the Net!!!

Either way, it's a fantastic record that I can't stop listening to!!!! 😀👍

Regards.

Drew.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 30/07/2020 at 10:21, The Yank said:

Is this the same Goldsby ?

Desi.jpg

Yes.  Richard worked also with Leo Austell, who worked on lot together on those small Chicago labels related to Renee(Sta-Set, Conduc, Lu-Cee, and Mar-Jan).  Lamaja Music was Austell's.  Jerhart was Bob Lee's. I think Austell was the A&R man, and managing partner (head producer and also arranger for most of them, partnering with financiers, or Lee in most.   Where he and Lee both were involved, they shared producing duties.  Goldsby (Ricky Gee) recorded for all those except Lu-Cee.  Ruth Moore's Vick, and Lee's Hawk Records were related, as well.

Edited by Robbk
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!