Kenny Carter - where & when?

1 hour ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

To be fair Ady and joking aside, your question should have been more specific (as my teachers used to say)

I think you meant in the UK and perhaps which venue and maybe even which DJ spun it first

If joking's aside it's a daft comment; I assumed it was a joke, the record didn't do much in the USA and no-one would know who spun it where.

Social source share

I don't know the exact answer to the question, I'm far far too young!  however, don't we know that the flip 'showdown' was a Dave Godin favourite,  I think he mentions the track in the deep soul CDs. So it's feasible it was played about the time a copy arrived at the soul city shop? Given that Dave would have immediately raved about it, and it would have been no time until it was flipped?  It's a theory. Lol 

The other place I remember seeing it, was on one of Richard Searlings early comps for RCA, there maybe some clues in the notes on there? Or drop Richard a note.. 

Mal 

Social source share

Larry Banks's son has a site dedicated to his father and mother (Joan C. Banks, or Jaibi) here:

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?bandID=619206&content=about

The Banks Family and Dave Godin

In 1964 Dave Godin was captivated by Bessie Banks' original recording of 'Go Now' and was incensed by British group the Moody Blues' usurping of the song and what he considered an unduly hasty campaign by the British record company to pass their version off as the original and best. To make amends on behalf of the small but eager coterie of UK soul fans, he took a special interest in Bessie and her husband Larry, the composer of the song. Further excavating into the pair's releases lead to more revelatory record finds and soon Dave was to champion Larry's singles on Select, Kapp and Spring and his composing and production work on artists such as the Exciters, Kenny Carter and The Geminis. As time passed he built up many personal links with the family and a bank of information on their work. His discovery of Jaibi's (Larry's second wife) 'You Got Me' on Kapp records was a personal Deep Soul revelation and he awarded the recording the prestigious, last track, "ender" on his first Deep Soul Treasures CD in 1997. In fact Larry's was the first name Dave chose for the "featured artists" on the cover and Bessie and Jaibi also made that tough cut.

Social source share

Richard Searling was pushing the Spider Turner version around 1971/2 when he found quite a few copies during his time at Global Records. It didn't really take off big time but was a collectors type of record and when I worked at Global in 1973 there were about 15 copies left that struggled to sell. The Kenny Carter version wasn't known about until later on, I think I had a copy late 70s but I never heard it played in clubs, mind you I didn't travel as much then. It was more of a collectors record for RCA label fans and noted as a different version of a better known record.

Like Steve G says I'd have put it down as a London 6Ts type of record, or possibly late Stafford , so can't really help with an answer.

When I checked on Youtube for any comments about both versions I noticed the Spider Turner version has Turner and Kenny Carter as writers but the Carter RCA version is different writer and publisher. Ady, any info on why this is?

Social source share

It doesn't help with where it was first played etc Ady but Randy sold me an issue of I've Gotta Get Myself Together & a demo of I've Gotta Find Her in late 70s. Don't go was also supposed to be part of the deal but thought he had sold it as he couldn't find it. No my memory isn't that great he wrote it all on the sleeve which I've Gotta Get Myself Together still sits in, not RCA sleeve unfortunately but Spring !!!  

Social source share

Thanks everybody, the Spyder first thing is interesting, I’ll ask Richard. Maybe that’s why he put Kenny on the RCA comp. 

The writers on Spyder are actually Kenny and Nate Edmonds. On Kennys release just Fred Skau which is Kennys pseudonym. I’ve never noticed a volume drop and I remember Randy loving I Gotta Find Her but not this particularly  

Social source share

On 07/08/2020 at 19:01, Rick Cooper said:

Ady, just seen the Kenny Carter CD announced on the Ace site so now you can finish off your sleeve notes. As of Friday 8th no track listing given but who cares as I'm sure it's going to be a great compilation.

All done bar the odd tweak. 22 tracks, all RCA. End of September release so track listing later

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!