News: New Book 6 Whitworth Street - The Birthplace of Northern Soul

Posted

News/Article/Feature Highlight:

A book is about the Northern Soul years of the Twisted Wheel Club, at its Whitworth Street location.  It is about how one little basement club, in Manchester, created a worldwide music phenomenon.

View full article

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amount Of Reads

•  Views 889

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

News/Article/Feature Highlight: A book is about the Northern Soul years of the Twisted Wheel Club, at its Whitworth Street location.  It is about how one little basement club, in Manchester, cr

Posted (edited)

The down points...

The Wheel memorabilia/pics are a bit thin on the ground and not very good quality as is the layout (should have got a proper designer - like me - to do it).

At the tail end it when it talks post-Wheel it completely misses out and is clearly not aware of Brian Rae's (for a time) massively successful Twisted Wheel revivals which ran on bank holidays for several years - saying that Pete Robert's events were the first soul dos run at the club for 29 years.

In fact, there were also some Placemate Allinighters in the very early 80s run by someones else, plus there were a few soul alldayers run there immediately after the Wheel closed and became Placemate 7 - I have Pete's Placemate 7 membership - I believe these were some of the first soul events that RS went to.

It would have benefitted from some more input/comments from Wheel regulars.

The bit on Les was pretty cursory too - specially given the fact he played the very last record, it also fails to make the point that ironically he DJed at Legends itself (as well as Heroes) in the 80s.

HOWEVER...

I have to say that what there is in there copy-wise is extremely well written and authoritative (only got it yesterday and have already finished it) - so overall I would HIGHLY recommend it, especially for the paltry £15 price tag.

Rob McCeever - if you ever want to redo it 'properly' give me a shout and we'll work something out.

Dx

PS Would have put this in the new topic but I couldn't find it!

Edited by Davenpete
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 08/08/2020 at 11:23, Davenpete said:

The down points...

The Wheel memorabilia/pics are a bit thin on the ground and not very good quality as is the layout (should have got a proper designer - like me - to do it).

At the tail end it when it talks post-Wheel it completely misses out and is clearly not aware of Brian Rae's (for a time) massively successful Twisted Wheel revivals which ran on bank holidays for several years - saying that Pete Robert's events were the first soul dos run at the club for 29 years.

In fact, there were also some Placemate Allinighters in the very early 80s run by someones else, plus there were a few soul alldayers run there immediately after the Wheel closed and became Placemate 7 - I have Pete's Placemate 7 membership - I believe these were some of the first soul events that RS went to.

It would have benefitted from some more input/comments from Wheel regulars.

The bit on Les was pretty cursory too - specially given the fact he played the very last record, it also fails to make the point that ironically he DJed at Legends itself (as well as Heroes) in the 80s.

HOWEVER...

I have to say that what there is in there copy-wise is extremely well written and authoritative (only got it yesterday and have already finished it) - so overall I would HIGHLY recommend it, especially for the paltry £15 price tag.

Rob McCeever - if you ever want to redo it 'properly' give me a shout and we'll work something out.

Dx

PS Would have put this in the new topic but I couldn't find it!

I  can’t find it ?  Where is the “New Topic “ ?   Can the Soul Source team please sent me a link.

Pete Roberts.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
7 minutes ago, Pete Roberts said:

I  can’t find it ?  Where is the “New Topic “ ?   Can the Soul Source team please sent me a link.

Pete Roberts.

a quick way to find any of your past posts is to visit your profile

this new/split topic can be found on this forums front page

link below

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/forums/topic/411186-new-twisted-wheel-book-out-later-this-year/

soul source url
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments/views now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Log back in to Soul Source now!
  1. 6 Whitworth St. Manchester (new Twisted Wheel Book)
    Sale Websites by Windlesoul on Sat 08 Aug 2020
    • 1 / 428
    • Windlesoul on 08 Aug 2020
  2. Articles: Goodbye To Whitworth Street Twisted Wheel 2012
    All About The Soul by Anais nin Carms on Mon 31 Dec 2012
    • 48 / 5474
    • manusf3a on 10 Oct 2014
  3. News: Twisted Wheel Ii: Brazennose & Whitworth Street 1963-1971 Out Now
    All About The Soul by soul source on Mon 20 Feb 2017
    • 9 / 1099
    • WoodButcher on 21 Feb 2017
  4. The Twisted Wheel: Brazennose & Whitworth Street. Manchester 1963-1971 New Cd
    All About The Soul by Pompeylor on Fri 01 Mar 2013
    • 4 / 946
    • TOAD on 01 Mar 2013
  5. Book: Preston Lauterbach
    All About The Soul by neiljon31 on Sun 30 Dec 2012
    • 5 / 572
    • Kris Holmes on 30 Dec 2012

Related Soul Music Links