Articles: New Book 6 Whitworth Street - The Birthplace of Northern Soul

• Replies 8
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

The down points...

The Wheel memorabilia/pics are a bit thin on the ground and not very good quality as is the layout (should have got a proper designer - like me - to do it).

At the tail end it when it talks post-Wheel it completely misses out and is clearly not aware of Brian Rae's (for a time) massively successful Twisted Wheel revivals which ran on bank holidays for several years - saying that Pete Robert's events were the first soul dos run at the club for 29 years.

In fact, there were also some Placemate Allinighters in the very early 80s run by someones else, plus there were a few soul alldayers run there immediately after the Wheel closed and became Placemate 7 - I have Pete's Placemate 7 membership - I believe these were some of the first soul events that RS went to.

It would have benefitted from some more input/comments from Wheel regulars.

The bit on Les was pretty cursory too - specially given the fact he played the very last record, it also fails to make the point that ironically he DJed at Legends itself (as well as Heroes) in the 80s.

HOWEVER...

I have to say that what there is in there copy-wise is extremely well written and authoritative (only got it yesterday and have already finished it) - so overall I would HIGHLY recommend it, especially for the paltry £15 price tag.

Rob McCeever - if you ever want to redo it 'properly' give me a shout and we'll work something out.

Dx

PS Would have put this in the new topic but I couldn't find it!

Edited by Davenpete
Social source share

On 08/08/2020 at 11:23, Davenpete said:

The down points...

The Wheel memorabilia/pics are a bit thin on the ground and not very good quality as is the layout (should have got a proper designer - like me - to do it).

At the tail end it when it talks post-Wheel it completely misses out and is clearly not aware of Brian Rae's (for a time) massively successful Twisted Wheel revivals which ran on bank holidays for several years - saying that Pete Robert's events were the first soul dos run at the club for 29 years.

In fact, there were also some Placemate Allinighters in the very early 80s run by someones else, plus there were a few soul alldayers run there immediately after the Wheel closed and became Placemate 7 - I have Pete's Placemate 7 membership - I believe these were some of the first soul events that RS went to.

It would have benefitted from some more input/comments from Wheel regulars.

The bit on Les was pretty cursory too - specially given the fact he played the very last record, it also fails to make the point that ironically he DJed at Legends itself (as well as Heroes) in the 80s.

HOWEVER...

I have to say that what there is in there copy-wise is extremely well written and authoritative (only got it yesterday and have already finished it) - so overall I would HIGHLY recommend it, especially for the paltry £15 price tag.

Rob McCeever - if you ever want to redo it 'properly' give me a shout and we'll work something out.

Dx

PS Would have put this in the new topic but I couldn't find it!

I  can’t find it ?  Where is the “New Topic “ ?   Can the Soul Source team please sent me a link.

Pete Roberts.

Social source share

7 minutes ago, Pete Roberts said:

I  can’t find it ?  Where is the “New Topic “ ?   Can the Soul Source team please sent me a link.

Pete Roberts.

a quick way to find any of your past posts is to visit your profile

this new/split topic can be found on this forums front page

link below

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/forums/topic/411186-new-twisted-wheel-book-out-later-this-year/

Social source share

• 4 months later...

The Book 6 Whitworth Street - The Birthplace of Northern Soul currently featured on Manc Evening News website...

On the face of it, the venue which a then teenage Rob McKeever first walked into in 1969 wasn't much to write home about.

Yet the only reason he was here was that tales from inside had spread like wildfire across the country, seeing visitors flock to it.

And like so many before him, Rob soon found out that this was no ordinary nightclub.

For this dark, sweaty, basement club close to Piccadilly Station had become the epicentre of a whole new music scene and its name - The Twisted Wheel – still resonates today.

Now, a new book has chronicled how it became the 'birthplace of Northern Soul.'

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/it-everything-me-memories-twisted-19512965

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!