Has Coronavirus sounded the death bells for NS live scen

9 hours ago, Ady Croasdell said:

So you were too young for Kelmarsh, Burton Latimer etc? Not quite the beginning then

Oh ?. So I said I was there at the beginning did I?. I'm sure I said I went to the Torch as a 15 year old + etc etc I did not say I was there at the beginning, my wife was at kelmarsh check out the photos in Norman Rogers book or bletsoe FB page 

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

30 minutes ago, Ady Croasdell said:

I assumed that implied you thought you were there at the beginning. Apologies if you meant something different but that’s how it reads 

One of the first things I learned as a young apprentice was ( never work on assumption) Apologies accepted, thanks

Social source share

can we get back to the original thrust of this topic

here's the original post...

On 11/08/2020 at 12:56, Hooker1951 said:

Could this virus cause the end of the live NS scene as we know it, And how can we help to save it, the clock is ticking, and the Night time economy will never return as it was before the writing was on the wall 5 years ago this virus has put the icing on the cake faster than was thought, Ideas anybody, ?

KR

ML

• Up vote 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, Timillustrator said:

As more weeks pass with an increasing infection rate (albeit a decreasing death rate) I can't see the Gov't lifting the restrictions on dancehalls or night clubs anytime before Christmas now. I know some events like Richard Searling's Blackpool tower are still hedging their bets and not cancelling until it's absolutely obvious that they will not go ahead and I understand this; some ticket sales means some money coming in even if it gets transferred to next year, but it would seem incredibly unlikely that they'd allow an indoor event of 2,000 people, with loud music, no distancing and dancing to take place in just over two months time.

In the meantime, though, it will inevitably mean many venues will close, probably permanently - furlough scheme ends October, loan schemes November; people just don't have the reserves to wait for another 2, 3, 4 months or more. So I reckon unless there is either a radical change in Gov't policy regarding financial support or the virus just miraculously dies out then the number of venues will drastically reduce. 

This will obviously affect the scene but who knows how far or for how long?

Yea not sure about that, because the venues are there, the djs are there, the people are there, once every thing opens up i think the soul scene and pretty much everything else will rebound back very quickly,  just my opinion. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

4 hours ago, Mike said:

can we get back to the original thrust of this topic

here's the original post...

Sorry didn't see the original thrust of this topic, so my answer is NO ,,, Reason ,, we are resilient 50+ years and counting,, God Bless Monny 

7 minutes ago, Leicester Boy said:

Yea not sure about that, because the venues are there, the djs are there, the people are there, once every thing opens up i think the soul scene and pretty much everything else will rebound back very quickly,  just my opinion. 

My sentiments exactly, 

Social source share

Back in the day when things were much less complicated, we would all arrange a lift to wherever for a soul doo. Distance wasn't a prob. The venues were small dark and dingy Brill atmosphere, not like the floodlit venues of today crap dance floor, extortionate bar prices, divvs everywhere, ect. So maybe it's about time and hope we can get back to these places, one of my fav place is the sink in Liverpool totally dingy and the atmosphere is great. So maybe playing tunes in your house isn't such a bad thing, get some friends round, and annoy all those so called soul djs off who just play there northern disco tunes like wade in the f#water 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I think we should be optimistic, and regard the current Covid19 pandemic as something of an opportunity.

Collectors with access to funds or credit may well be filling their hot-boxes right now. Auction sales reveal no shortage of big-hitters, whilst there are bargains galore to be had online. I suspect there are plenty of wannabe DJ’s out there, itching to spin their latest acquisitions in public.

When life returns to normal, let’s hope that some of the collectors turn to promoting local venues. It would be good to see dealers and DJ’s promoting fewer, but larger events that attract record buyers and dancers alike. Surely, the owners of venues will be willing to help support events that boost bar takings.

Letting my imagination go wild, I can even see weekend events in Cleethorpes, Prestatyn and Blackpool becoming giant foam parties as youngsters abandon Magaluf, Ayia Napa and Tenerife to embrace the hedonism of Northern Soul as it sweeps around the globe. At last, the era of the super-well-paid Northern DJ finally arrives as sums of £100,000 are paid to those with the finest collections of rare sounds...

• Up vote 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Collectors with access to funds or credit may well be filling their hot-boxes right now. Auction sales reveal no shortage of big-hitters, whilst there are bargains galore to be had online. 

I think that statement can be applied to any week since the late 90s from my personal experience and probably for much longer in the experience of others.  I can’t remember a week go by where a big hitter hasn’t been finishing in an auction.  It’s a constant cycle.

regarding Covid I was told today no hospital admissions in Leicester since lockdown was implemented again so was it necessary ? Is the virus mutating and weakening will it come back stronger ?

i am remaining cautious and careful but feel ready to get back to normal now.

large capacity sport crowds and nightclubs probably the 2 environments that carry the most risk IMO.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Perhaps we are missing something here.

Could this be the climate and the opportunity for closing down clubs and events held within residential areas where local councils have plans for redevelopment.  Prior to Covid it was business as usual but now the financial burden and loss of earnings could close them down through this “no business -starvation “ waiting game.

Just a thought......

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Bossfourpart1 said:

Perhaps we are missing something here.

Could this be the climate and the opportunity for closing down clubs and events held within residential areas where local councils have plans for redevelopment.  Prior to Covid it was business as usual but now the financial burden and loss of earnings could close them down through this “no business -starvation “ waiting game.

Just a thought......

A very good point, personally I think it will be the very large venues with massive overheads and the very small venues with little income that'll go. The middle range clubs - British Legions, social clubs and the like will probably make it though, many are open anyway as pubs. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Noticed a few low key dos at the weekend  people dancing away saw on Facebook etc . I say low key with a hint of sarcasm because one looked pretty well attended the other was more a collectors thing ? 

If people flaunt the guidelines it’s on them if anything happens it’s not like fat overweight soulies are not a vulnerable group ? 

Just had a thought have another Spike Island instead of the Stone Roses put a weekender on for the Idiots , Flat Cappers Bootleg DJ s Johnny Come Latelys etc and let them all fall by the sword 🗡! 

Social source share

4 minutes ago, Baz Atkinson said:

Noticed a few low key dos at the weekend  people dancing away saw on Facebook etc . I say low key with a hint of sarcasm because one looked pretty well attended the other was more a collectors thing ? 

If people flaunt the guidelines it’s on them if anything happens it’s not like fat overweight soulies are not a vulnerable group ? 

Just had a thought have another Spike Island instead of the Stone Roses put a weekender on for the Idiots , Flat Cappers Bootleg DJ s Johnny Come Latelys etc and let them all fall by the sword 🗡! 

Spike Island. West Bank.  My home town of Widnes. The now infamous Stone Roses concert, I should have been part of the security team for the gig but I was awol having not got home from the nighter the previous night 🤔😁😇. I can't even remember what the nighter was🤔😁

• Up vote 1
Social source share

9 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Spike Island. West Bank.  My home town of Widnes. The now infamous Stone Roses concert, I should have been part of the security team for the gig but I was awol having not got home from the nighter the previous night 🤔😁😇. I can't even remember what the nighter was🤔😁

That’s why I worry about you pal 😂

• Up vote 2
Social source share

7 hours ago, Baz Atkinson said:

That’s why I worry about you pal 😂

Just been over to Widnes to see my Son and grandson before he starts school and yes you guessed it called into Spike Island 🏝  to see if anyone was fishing on the canal and to have a little walk round 😉.  Couldn't resist it Baz😁

Social source share

Hoochie Coochie re opens , yippee! 

Latest info....

Friday Night Live - Smoove & Turrell (unplugged)  Friday October 2nd.

Welcome back to live music at Hoochie Coochie, albeit a little different ! 

Friday Night Live, is a series of gigs which are all seated, fully table serviced, socially distant , intimate events, to an audience of only 80 people. 

We are delighted to bring our oldest friends, Smoove & Turrell , for what will surely be a unique experience. The guys will be playing unplugged, as they have here before, but this time to an all seated, intimate audience. Not quite the norm for Smoove & Turrell & their fans ! 

Seating can only be booked in 2's, 4's or 6's. There will be no standing at the event & no walk up tickets available. 

So if you want to support one of the best bands around, in an independent venue, here's your chance. But, don't wait . We are giving our newsletter subscribers  a head start, but these will be gone in 24hrs or less. 

Please note Hoochie Coochie is now open Fri, Sat Sun every week .  We will be an all seated venue with our DJ's playing the best in music of black origin, around. Entry is FREE , however with only 40% of capacity, we would recommend reserving a table through our website. Tickets for this are available there. Last weekend we were fully sold out. Due to legislation changes ,we are only advertising a few weeks in advance, apart from Friday Night Live gigs. 

Luxury bar in Newcastle playing hard funk, solid soul and cool jazz.
Hoochie Coochie is simply all about the music.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

15 hours ago, Timillustrator said:

Surely with today's new restrictions anything live for the rest of 2020 will have to be cancelled? There are still events up.

It's just 6 to a "bubble" isn't it.  So you can have 20 "bubbles" making attendance 120 ?

No idea how we're getting away with having events on. Same rules as a pub ? 

I did notice guy who posted he was at an IOW weekender mentioned the event was allowed by relevant authority.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, Modernsoulsucks said:

It's just 6 to a "bubble" isn't it.  So you can have 20 "bubbles" making attendance 120 ?

No idea how we're getting away with having events on. Same rules as a pub ? 

I did notice guy who posted he was at an IOW weekender mentioned the event was allowed by relevant authority.

You can only have spaced out tables as in a pub, no dancing and not supposed to be any music. It was only 30 at an event before

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Timillustrator said:

You can have music BUT 

"Refraining from playing music or broadcasts that may encourage shouting, including if played at a volume that makes normal conversation difficult.  This is because of the potential for increased risk of transmission, particularly from aerosol transmission.  Loud background music, communal dancing, group singing or chanting should be prevented."

It should be nothing more than background music, not a full set of decks and a DJ.  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Modernsoulsucks said:

30 but not in a pub or restaurant ?

Know about the music and dancing which is why I said don't see how these events are going ahead.

You can have thirty in a pub, but in groups of 6 only and plenty of space between the tables.  But I would imagine this is meant for eating out or just a group of 6 out for a drink, not 40 or 50 etc out for a soul night. That is how I read it

• Up vote 1
Social source share

SoSa at Hoochie Coochie (last Sunday of month ) going ahead . This is how ....

https://www.hoochiecoochie.co.uk/

'Hoochie Coochie

SOSA …Soul On Sunday afternoon

Sunday 27 September 2020

Doors 4:00 pm

Tickets £10

Come join us for the UK’s longest running Sunday Soul Session.A great mix of Northern & Modern Soul with a touch of nu-soul throw in.

3 DJ’s, £10 per reservation including 2 free drinks for arrivals. All seated, SD compliant, full table service. We do not have a dancefloor at this time.

Walk-ups welcome, tickets are not required, but if you wish to guarantee entry & a seat they are £10 & include 2 free drinks for arrivals. Must be seated by 5pm'

Edited by Andybellwood
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

6 minutes ago, Chalky said:

You can have thirty in a pub, but in groups of 6 only and plenty of space between the tables.  But I would imagine this is meant for eating out or just a group of 6 out for a drink, not 40 or 50 etc out for a soul night. That is how I read it

I think you can have more than 30 in a pub if space allows ?

Which is how events are being held I guess. It's not 50 out in a group. It's say 25 socially distanced two person bubbles

As I said just bemused we're getting away with it.

Edited by Modernsoulsucks
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, Modernsoulsucks said:

I think you can have more than 30 in a pub if space allows ?

Which is how events are being held I guess. It's not 50 out in a group. It's say 25 socially distanced two person bubbles

As I said just bemused we're getting away with it.

Yep as long as space allows as many as you can get in.  But we all know all those in attendance know each other, are mixing and no social distancing.   Enough phots on social media to prove this.

as you say puzzling how they get away with it especially as they are running an event with more than 30 in attendance.  50 lots of 6 eating out or having a drink in their own bubble aren’t attending an event.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Baz Atkinson said:

It’s all a bit ridiculous with double standards everywhere and now talk of 10 million tests a day by January next year . 
The issue imho adding fuel to the fire is that the crossed messages are given eager promoters licence to make it up as there go along ? 
The  new take an address and inform the police was originally the plan when pubs opened again ( that has not worked ) . 

Only a vaccine will Render  the venues safe imho and as a asthmatic I will be staying at home for the foreseeable future . 

Be Rare Soul nights at Stonehenge next 😂

Given the traffic on the A303 better make it a weekender.

Social source share

Been working on a site , 16 houses , the other weekend one lad buggered off to Ibiza to a rave ( like you do when there’s a virus pandemic) came back with covid , 2 weeks isolation for him and his co worker , site had to shut for 2 days (25 men lost time ) also the houses they were going to build , they no longer are going to as they’re not wanted back . Which I’m ok about ( we were away for the week when this happened by the way ) . My question is this , although I see why they aren’t wanted back , I also see that they Had the sense and informed the site manager they may think twice about going clubbing or maybe god forbid , think twice about admitting it ( that they’ve caught the virus) and lose another job . I’m amazed they could attend a rave but then again it was probably illegal. I reckon big sentences for organisers is going to have to happen. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

19 hours ago, Andybellwood said:

SoSa at Hoochie Coochie (last Sunday of month ) going ahead . This is how ....

https://www.hoochiecoochie.co.uk/

'Hoochie Coochie

Sunday 27 September 2020

Doors 4:00 pm

Tickets £10

Come join us for the UK’s longest running Sunday Soul Session.A great mix of Northern & Modern Soul with a touch of nu-soul throw in.

3 DJ’s, £10 per reservation including 2 free drinks for arrivals. All seated, SD compliant, full table service. We do not have a dancefloor at this time.

Walk-ups welcome, tickets are not required, but if you wish to guarantee entry & a seat they are £10 & include 2 free drinks for arrivals. Must be seated by 5pm'

More Hoochie measures - makes you wish everywhere else was to this standard !

'Come & enjoy a night out with friends, safely,  @ Hoochie Coochie ! 

We understand many folks are apprehensive about returning out for a night out, this is why we have worked so hard, to ensure our customers have a great night, but Safely. 

Hoochie Coochie have put numerous measures in place to give you the best possible night out in the circumstances whilst enjoying the great music selection we have for you........Temperature checks on entry, no details, no entry. Our capacity is cut to only 40% of normal, this is why we now take bookings, but walk-ups are welcome ! 

All customers are seated, full table service, no one allowed at the bar & our staff are all fully masked to protect you & ourselves. We have removed our dance-floor . We are constantly cleaning surfaces, our air exchange system is operating at all times, refreshing the air in the whole venue, every 15mins. Customers are reminded & requested to respect SD between tables . 

Having said all that we want you & your friends to enjoy it, just within your own table space. Having said all that, here are our customers views on their return ...

"Brilliant day, felt totally safe music fantastic as usual and thought the staff were outstanding"

"The staff worked very hard providing excellent table service and cleaned handrails etc at every opportunity. Fully enforced SD which gave me confidence to go back.As always, the music is second to none. Welcome back to the church! "

"Really organised seating great,staff so professional ,quick table service, thank you for a great 3 hours,but it went really fast," '

Social source share

51 minutes ago, Andybellwood said:

More Hoochie measures - makes you wish everywhere else was to this standard !

'Come & enjoy a night out with friends, safely,  @ Hoochie Coochie ! 

We understand many folks are apprehensive about returning out for a night out, this is why we have worked so hard, to ensure our customers have a great night, but Safely. 

Hoochie Coochie have put numerous measures in place to give you the best possible night out in the circumstances whilst enjoying the great music selection we have for you........Temperature checks on entry, no details, no entry. Our capacity is cut to only 40% of normal, this is why we now take bookings, but walk-ups are welcome ! 

All customers are seated, full table service, no one allowed at the bar & our staff are all fully masked to protect you & ourselves. We have removed our dance-floor . We are constantly cleaning surfaces, our air exchange system is operating at all times, refreshing the air in the whole venue, every 15mins. Customers are reminded & requested to respect SD between tables . 

Having said all that we want you & your friends to enjoy it, just within your own table space. Having said all that, here are our customers views on their return ...

"Brilliant day, felt totally safe music fantastic as usual and thought the staff were outstanding"

"The staff worked very hard providing excellent table service and cleaned handrails etc at every opportunity. Fully enforced SD which gave me confidence to go back.As always, the music is second to none. Welcome back to the church! "

"Really organised seating great,staff so professional ,quick table service, thank you for a great 3 hours,but it went really fast," '

How do you get round the Dj and music when there isn’t supposed to be either? Music should be background and quiet, so quiet no one has to raise their voice or lean in to tne other to hear?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Speedlimit said:

I'm sorry if I upset anyone but there seems to be a lot of selfish sods about who just want to make money, put on a venue and sod the concequences. I too want to attend venues  again  I've danced since I was 14 and love djing, But I'm not prepared to pray on other's weaknesses. We're all in this together, the more we mingle the more chance of a second wave. Let's just all be sensible do the right thing we can hold out till the  new year 😁😁😁.  I too have seen umpteen photos on social media of folk dancing. Greedy Promoters and weak management for not enforcing the rules should pull the plug  if they dance. We've lost too many already. The government should have brought the new restrictions in straight away not leave it till Monday, as for the fines they should be instant, not friendly warning then fined if caught a 2nd time, this just shows weakness on governments behalf. Anyway rant over stay safe, 

Hi Steve,

I doubt any promoter is making money, most don't make any when there's no restrictions on numbers, so at 40% capacity, there is either a loss, or they a have a nice deal with the venue owner (They get the custom)

This was bound to get worse (a second time) before it gets better - personally I am more concerned about people's livings over going to a do.

Patience is a virtue - We're watching Star Wars (In the correct order) :wink:

Len :thumbsup:

• Up vote 3
Social source share

2 hours ago, Len said:

Hi Steve,

I doubt any promoter is making money, most don't make any when there's no restrictions on numbers, so at 40% capacity, there is either a loss, or they a have a nice deal with the venue owner (They get the custom)

This was bound to get worse (a second time) before it gets better - personally I am more concerned about people's livings over going to a do.

Patience is a virtue - We're watching Star Wars (In the correct order) :wink:

Len :thumbsup:

Hi Len

I'd did that in furlough 😂😂can't beat bit of star wars, also watched all 4 ip man films stay safe mate see you soon 😊😊👍👍

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 1 month later...
On 11/08/2020 at 15:28, Winsford Soul said:

Mick. Trust your well and safe. I personally think that venue's will be open before Christmas.  If that's not going to happen then I can see the scene going underground and going the way the illegal rave scene did in the 80,s . I would definitely be up for that. But I can just see all the head shaking going on with all the people who have deemed themselves above all the illegal stuff. 

Bloody hell Steve that would be great. Clubs like Sheridan's aswell ect would brilliant. Would probably get rid of a lot of the plastic population to.

Hugh X Yvonne

XX to Lou.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Thinking long and hard about the question put forward,i think it would be a good thing to say no it won't,there were hundreds of events on before lockdown and some of them have gone into liquidation already,december is too early to even think about after new restrictions going into place recently which would maybe open the floodgates again in mid november for the 2nd opening but how many venues will survive ??People are itching to get back which i fully understand but the threat is still out there,people are getting older so will we go back to an underground scene once again, getting rid of the so called "soulies" (kin hate that word),who will go back to their goldfish bowls,of course the Dj's are still out there but i know now of at least 6  top ones that have retired from the scene,also when it and if it does come back will it be a case of you could walk instead of drive into a venue in your area because it will be flooded with them all over again??Allnighters will i think suffer ,weekenders might be the new venue to prosper, soul nights will definitely suffer because of the closures of venues...this is all just supposing who knows and my own personal thoughts which the thread asked ....stay safe and be lucky.............  stevie

Edited by Steviehay
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, Steviehay said:

Thinking long and hard about the question put forward,i think it would be a good thing to say no it won't,there were hundreds of events on before lockdown and some of them have gone into liquidation already,december is too early to even think about after new restrictions going into place recently which would maybe open the floodgates again in mid november for the 2nd opening but how many venues will survive ??People are itching to get back which i fully understand but the threat is still out there,people are getting older so will we go back to an underground scene once again, getting rid of the so called "soulies" (kin hate that word),who will go back to their goldfish bowls,of course the Dj's are still out there but i know now of at least 6  top ones that have retired from the scene,also when it and if it does come back will it be a case of you could walk instead of drive into a venue in your area because it will be flooded with them all over again??Allnighters will i think suffer ,weekenders might be the new venue to prosper, soul nights will definitely suffer because of the closures of venus...this is all just supposing who knows and my own personal thoughts which the thread asked ....stay safe and be lucky.............  stevie

Good post Steve. Could i ask which 6 top djs have just retired ? 

Edited by Andybellwood
Social source share

Plenty of experts on YouTube giving predictions.

Common to all is that until a vaccine is developed that works on the vast majority of those who need it most...the vulnerable need to avoid it at all costs. 

So its unlikely that mass gatherings of any kind are happening soon.

Anybody who relied on the live scene for their living will be really under the cosh as we enter year 2.

Ed

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!