Has Coronavirus sounded the death bells for NS live scen

On 20/10/2020 at 10:45, Steviehay said:

there were hundreds of events on before lockdown and some of them have gone into liquidation already,

Personally I'm hoping the break will do the scene overall some good though I doubt it. I think for every promoter and Dj who calls it a day there will probably be two waiting to jump in. The problem I see with that scenario is what were good established nights and Dj's who had experience and knew what they were doing they will be replaced by people thinking it's easy.

I know several Dj's and promoters as I'm sure we all do but the feeling I get from talking to them over the years is a lot of punters think events happen by magic not realising there is an awful lot of work involved in putting a night on, setting up and breaking down the equipment, promotion, in some cases getting the room ready, all taking time. Maybe some will have enjoyed the break and wonder is it worth the effort purely for the love of the music as we know very few are in it or in fact make a profit once the venue and Dj's have been paid.

I'd like to think  scene once re started the emphasis will shift to quality over quantity but I doubt that will happen. Maybe the venues that survive will be only too willing to entertain a Soul night needing to recoup lost revenue and I'm pretty sure there will be no shortage of would be promoters ready to put on a night. Peoples opinions of what constitutes a good night will always differ, for myself I've missed seeing friends that I only see on the scene and one venue in particular but I can't say hand on heart I've missed going to a soul night mainly I guess due to starting buying again ,being furloughed then retiring giving me more time to listen to podcasts, play my own records and chat regularly with a few close friends from the scene about the music. 

If I could have one wish granted for when things get back to whatever normal we see it would be for a soul club in striking distance with the emphasis on "soul", not being able to dance as I once did a convivial night or even an afternoon not necessarily at the weekend spent in the company of like minded people in an upstairs room somewhere playing music from every genre Deep to Ska ,RnB, 60's Soul, Funk etc etc , can't see it happening unless it's Wednesday Afternoon round at mine on the decking weather permitting, bring your own drinks 🤔

• Up vote 3
Social source share

If I could have one wish granted for when things get back to whatever normal we see it would be for a soul club in striking distance with the emphasis on "soul", not being able to dance as I once did a convivial night or even an afternoon not necessarily at the weekend spent in the company of like minded people in an upstairs room somewhere playing music from every genre Deep to Ska ,RnB, 60's Soul, Funk etc etc , can't see it happening unless it's Wednesday Afternoon round at mine on the decking weather permitting, bring your own drinks 

I hope you get to attend a Tenerife Soul in the sun event....eventually. its exactly that, pure chill out,  anything goes music policy, anybody can ask to dj.

The cheap beer and relentless sunshine also helps..

Ed

Social source share

4 hours ago, Twoshoes said:

Personally I'm hoping the break will do the scene overall some good though I doubt it. I think for every promoter and Dj who calls it a day there will probably be two waiting to jump in. The problem I see with that scenario is what were good established nights and Dj's who had experience and knew what they were doing they will be replaced by people thinking it's easy.

I know several Dj's and promoters as I'm sure we all do but the feeling I get from talking to them over the years is a lot of punters think events happen by magic not realising there is an awful lot of work involved in putting a night on, setting up and breaking down the equipment, promotion, in some cases getting the room ready, all taking time. Maybe some will have enjoyed the break and wonder is it worth the effort purely for the love of the music as we know very few are in it or in fact make a profit once the venue and Dj's have been paid.

I'd like to think  scene once re started the emphasis will shift to quality over quantity but I doubt that will happen. Maybe the venues that survive will be only too willing to entertain a Soul night needing to recoup lost revenue and I'm pretty sure there will be no shortage of would be promoters ready to put on a night. Peoples opinions of what constitutes a good night will always differ, for myself I've missed seeing friends that I only see on the scene and one venue in particular but I can't say hand on heart I've missed going to a soul night mainly I guess due to starting buying again ,being furloughed then retiring giving me more time to listen to podcasts, play my own records and chat regularly with a few close friends from the scene about the music. 

If I could have one wish granted for when things get back to whatever normal we see it would be for a soul club in striking distance with the emphasis on "soul", not being able to dance as I once did a convivial night or even an afternoon not necessarily at the weekend spent in the company of like minded people in an upstairs room somewhere playing music from every genre Deep to Ska ,RnB, 60's Soul, Funk etc etc , can't see it happening unless it's Wednesday Afternoon round at mine on the decking weather permitting, bring your own drinks 🤔

Possibly the most positive post I've seen on this thread ( except bring your own drinks) yep sure there were hundreds of events prior to covid to the fact is I moved my own to an unsaturated area which then became saturated cant win !! I've been a dj since 78 promoting round about 79 then stopped as you say set up organising finding people whom you can rely on to become part of the set up ,northern never in it for the money what I get paid at a mobile disco event is incomparable to our scene ( unless your name is in lights on a promenade up North) your voice has been noted by my and appreciated cheers get the beer in !!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!