Mike

Version Battle - What Condition?  

1. 1. Which version do you prefer...?

• Sharon Jones
    • Bettye LaVette

This poll is closed to new votes

• Sign in or join to vote
  • Poll closed on 27/08/20 at 08:00

A return run of our version battle - this time around the focus is just on 2 versions of a much-covered song (20+ covers) that was written back in the 'summer of love' to warn about the dangers of lsd

version-battle-condition.jpg

Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings - I Just Dropped in to See What Condition My Condition Was In - Daptone Records

This version was originally popular over here I'd say round about 2004 via pre-release/demo type only copies that were apparently pressed up for tours etc etc. It finally got a full on pukka release in May 2005

Bettye LaVette - What Condition My Condition - Karen Records

Flip of her 1968 Karen 45 'Get Away' with a shortened title

A lot of other versions but will just put the focus on these 2 for the poll and will go for a week run

As always have a listen, make your choice and if can pass on your reasons, views, takes via the comments below...

Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings - I Just Dropped in to See What Condition My Condition Was In

Bettye LaVette - What Condition My Condition - Karen Records

Social source share

2 hours ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Betty - hands down. I do like Sharon Jones' version, but am not so keen on the arrangement. For one thing, the drums are too high in the mix for me, and it's a feature I dislike in many 'neo soul' recordings.

In Betty's arrangement, the drums aren't prominent, and the emphasis is very much on the voice - and what a voice!

Your spot on about the drums to daptone often do it

• Up vote 1
Social source share

looks like Bettye's is the people's choice on here so far

interesting song...

"Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In)" is a counterculture era song written by Mickey Newbury and, in 1968, a chart hit for The First Edition, which recorded the song in October 1967. Said to reflect the LSD experience, the song was intended to be a warning about the dangers of using the drug.[2] It was first recorded by Jerry Lee Lewis, backed by members of "The Memphis Boys", the chart-topping rhythm section at Chips Moman's American Sounds Studio in Memphis, on May 9, 1967.[3] The song appeared on Lewis' album Soul My Way, released November 1, 1967. Before Lewis' record was issued, on October 10, 1967, it was recorded by Teddy Hill & the Southern Soul as a single on Rice Records (Rice 5028 b/w "Stagger Lee") and produced by Norro Wilson.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_Dropped_In_(To_See_What_Condition_My_Condition_Was_In)

plus Bettye's choice to cover the above also turned out to have had a noteworthy influence on her career...

read more on that here...

Social source share

Just dropped in to say that it's all over!

Bettye's take looks like it's the clear peoples choice here in 2020

Say despite being a bit one sided it still turned out an interesting due to the comments

thanks to all those who took part 👍x2

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!