Premiership - New Season

Posted (edited)

What a start - and at least we are at home.

Fulham at home to Arsenal and West Bromwich at Leicester ... good openers !

05563D4D-CFA0-4835-A5F5-D4100C7C22F2.png

Edited by Stevegods
soul source url
Social source share
  • Replies 75
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just glad I played when I did. I am falling out of love with football and I never thought I would say that. Soul music, I will never fall out of love with though. Take care everyone. Mi

Because rugby isn’t played by a bunch of cheating fairies

Foodbank fundraiser from Liverpool fans boycotting pay-per-view match tops £100,000 Thousands of Liverpool fans refused to pay £14.95 for the pay-per-view Premier League match against Sheffield U

Posted Images

Posted

Sorry to say no anticipation for the coming season , cannot see crowds been present for a long time and behind closed doors does nothing for me .

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Until crowds are back it just is not the same unfortunately, watching the behind closed doors matches was like eating chocolate with the wrapper on.

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

That silver wrapper on your fillings can be painful .. 

I hear you both ... but life goes on as it must for all of us and nothing will be the same for quite a while, so just have to make the best of what’s given.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I agree that life goes on and football should still be played, the Premier League and the Championship should survive with the TV money, but I am afraid the lower league teams will be struggling to survive and a few will go to the wall .

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

You should be able to watch local football (tier 6 and below on the football pyramid) live from the beginning of the new season so if you are missing your fix investigate your local clubs...

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Email from Utd today. Behind closed doors till at least 1st of October and no date for season ticket to be renewed. Gutted that the start of the season will be lack lustre not being there but at least the matches are being played. 

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

My club’s friendly this Saturday is restricted to 300 supporters. Then the gates shut.

Oh how I wish 300 turn up...it’ll be a slightly above average crowd for us (friendly or league fixture).

i’ll be there...and so will our opposition fans who have a great following( Chorlton & didsbury west)

soul source url
Social source share
  • 1 month later...
Posted

It has certainly been an entertaining start to the season with some result many wouldn't have predicted.

Average goals per game is just under or around 4 😮  It might be premier league in name but the defending has been far from premier 🤣  Entertaining for the neutrals though.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Struggling with it to be honest, been some great games, don't get me wrong, remember Paul Merson saying, at the resumption of last season, that with no crowds, the results will be all over the place, boy was he right, with all due respect, if this season ends, like it has started, no crowds, whoever wins the Premier league, it will be tainted and remembered as the season that never was.

Kev

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 minute ago, Kev Cane said:

Struggling with it to be honest, been some great games, don't get me wrong, remember Paul Merson saying, at the resumption of last season, that with no crowds, the results will be all over the place, boy was he right, with all due respect, if this season ends, like it has started, no crowds, whoever wins the Premier league, it will be tainted and remembered as the season that never was.

Kev

Couldn't agree more, entertaining for neutrals undoubtedly, but i can't get to grips with it at all, its like drinking non alcoholic beer.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
27 minutes ago, Kev Cane said:

Kev

Some need the crowd to perform at their best.  Some teams will benefit without the pressure of the crowds on their backs. 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Project Big Picture. 

These have been discussed and proposed by the boards of Liverpool & Man U - and included the so called big 6 and exceptions for West Ham and Everton . 

The 'Project Big Picture' proposals

The Premier League cut from 20 to 18 clubs, with the Championship, League One and League Two each retaining 24 teams.

The bottom two teams in the Premier League relegated automatically with the 16th-placed team joining the Championship play-offs.

The League Cup and Community Shield abolished.

Parachute payments scrapped.

A £250m rescue fund made immediately available to the EFL & 25% of all future TV deals

£100m paid to the FA to make up for lost revenue.

Nine clubs given 'special voting rights' on certain issues, based on their extended runs in the Premier League.

—————————————————

Is it just the rich wanting to get richer , or a serious attempt to change things . 

Shouldn't this be lead by the Leagues / FA , not individual clubs . Are we now talking about the demise of lower league football or is that an inevitability anyway ?   

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Foxestalk went into meltdown over this and the absolute verdict was its a power grab by the so called "big six" led by liverpool and man utd. Both clubs are American owned and the feeling was the whole thing is a trojan horse to increase their power. Franchise fc does not care for the lower down clubs in this country. Fans of my club are fuming.

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 hour ago, Chalky said:

How does Pickford stay on the pitch?  

VAR causing controversy again!

Shocking challenge, how Van Dyke  managed to walk off was unbelievable, a real potential career wrecker 

• Up vote 3
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
2 hours ago, Kev Cane said:

Shocking challenge, how Van Dyke  managed to walk off was unbelievable, a real potential career wrecker 

Disgraceful mate, Klopp said the injury is a bad one.  How VAR never looked at it I'll never know.

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Not going to complain about the VAR late goal being disallowed. As much as I think we all could see he’s not really offside, arm / elbow / foot , who draws that line. We have had our fair share of decisions go our way in the past, so I guess it evens it self out over the season. 

However - how Pickford remained on the pitch defies belief. That could have been a career ending two footed scissor kicking tackle. No where near the ball and since when does an offside overrule a tackle like that. 

Two points dropped for us and Everton do look like they are going to be serious contenders . Just need a good goalie ! 

Thiago is pure class . 

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
10 hours ago, Stevegods said:

Not going to complain about the VAR late goal being disallowed. As much as I think we all could see he’s not really offside, arm / elbow / foot , who draws that line. We have had our fair share of decisions go our way in the past, so I guess it evens it self out over the season. 

However - how Pickford remained on the pitch defies belief. That could have been a career ending two footed scissor kicking tackle. No where near the ball and since when does an offside overrule a tackle like that. 

Two points dropped for us and Everton do look like they are going to be serious contenders . Just need a good goalie ! 

Thiago is pure class . 

Have ton agree with Thiago being class.  He looks like he is two steps ahead before he gets the ball, so cool and calm.  Not sure about Everton being contenders, they don't have the squad IMO, bit like Leicester last season.

Like you say no excuses for Pickford he should have gone, disgraceful challenge.

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Timo Werner looks class, so quick.  Lamps should have spent a few bob on defenders though.

Arteta has Arsenal challenging again.  WOn't win the title though as again don't have the squad but give him a couple more years and some quality recruits.

Edited by Chalky
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Just glad I played when I did. I am falling out of love with football and I never thought I would say that.

Soul music, I will never fall out of love with though.

Take care everyone.

Micky

• Up vote 6
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

There should be some kind of serious punishment for a potential season ending and reckless challenge like the one Pickford did on VVD.

and VAR provides all the facts but it’s still not being used in a way that would take away the criticisms and make it the useful tool it should be.

I am in favour of it just not the way it’s being used.

• Up vote 3
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
3 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Cruciate Ligament damage and operation for Van Dyk, probably out for the season.

Very sad news that, wish him a full recovery. 

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
4 hours ago, Chalky said:

Cruciate Ligament damage and operation for Van Dyk, probably out for the season.

Not surprised Chalkster, like I said previously, it's beyond me how he walked to the changing room, the shot that showed you exactly how bad it was, was the one from behind the touchline, a real career changer

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
6 hours ago, Kev Cane said:

Not surprised Chalkster, like I said previously, it's beyond me how he walked to the changing room, the shot that showed you exactly how bad it was, was the one from behind the touchline, a real career changer

See the FA has gone quiet.

VAR was supposed to get rid of the controversy and deal with clear mistakes from the ref.  It failed to deal with either, get rid of it until they can sort out how they are going to use it.

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

His name in Liverpool now is Jordan PITCHFORK . 

Lets see if anything is done retrospectively , but I have little faith it will. 

3-0 up and Spurs bring on Gareth Bail ...   great time to make an impact and a return. Wrong . What a come back . 

This is why I love footie Just a crying shame there are no crowds in to witness any of this . 

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
2 hours ago, Stevegods said:

His name in Liverpool now is Jordan PITCHFORK . 

Lets see if anything is done retrospectively , but I have little faith it will. 

3-0 up and Spurs bring on Gareth Bail ...   great time to make an impact and a return. Wrong . What a come back . 

This is why I love footie Just a crying shame there are no crowds in to witness any of this . 

Steve.  I don't think anything can be done retrospectively because the ref and var seen the incident. 

in Manchester he is called Jordan ( apprentice  to Keane) re Alfie hagland.  As for a career ending tackle.  They are on millions of pounds a year, plus whatever insurance  he would get. he would never have to work again not like a career threatening injury in engineering or any other real world job 

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Liverpool looking good, despite the shocking VAR decisions.

VAR should only be used for Goal Line decisions - like was the ball in the back of the net or not?

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
3 minutes ago, Rudzy said:

VAR should only be used for Goal Line decisions - like was the ball in the back of the net or not?

How come the rugby league system works perfectly well 🤔  and the pathetic football one doesn't. 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
11 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

How come the rugby league system works perfectly well 🤔  and the pathetic football one doesn't. 

I Dunno mate, nobody likes VAR in football sooner or later the FA will have to start listening to the fans.

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
23 minutes ago, Rudzy said:

I Dunno mate, nobody likes VAR in football sooner or later the FA will have to start listening to the fans.

Don't think we will be able to hold our breath long enough for the FA to listen mate. They are so insular and inward looking that once they had decided on this particular touch line technology.  Thats it. End of.  To me its just as inconsistent as the referees who still can't make the correct decisions.  I started watching United in about 1972 and the ××××××× in black are still as bad now as they were back then. 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Var was supposed to clear things up but it has had the opposite effect. 

Time for a major overhaul of the system and how it is used.

And as Steve says above most refs are crap and they also seem to enjoy the spotlight and have come a part off the fame game when all they should be is bit part players who's sole job is to officiate. 

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
2 hours ago, Rudzy said:

Liverpool looking good, despite the shocking VAR decisions.

Hawkeye is used for goal line decisions

6 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Steve.  I don't think anything can be done retrospectively because the ref and var seen the incident. 

in Manchester he is called Jordan ( apprentice  to Keane) re Alfie hagland.  As for a career ending tackle.  They are on millions of pounds a year, plus whatever insurance  he would get. he would never have to work again not like a career threatening injury in engineering or any other real world job 

They can act retrospectively but won’t. 

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
2 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Because rugby isn’t played by a bunch of cheating fairies

• Up vote 4
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I understand all of this .

Its not about VVD or VAR - it’s about getting the laws straight and doing what’s right for the game , like hand ball. 

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
15 hours ago, Stevegods said:

I understand all of this .

Its not about VVD or VAR - it’s about getting the laws straight and doing what’s right for the game , like hand ball. 

Yes VAR isnt the problem its the rules and interpretation of them.

all VAR does is provide evidence based on reality.

there are crazy decisions made every week but I dont want to see VAR get the blame i want to see its use improved and rules refined.

steve i tried to upvote your comment but all i'm getting is a big grey blob in bottom right of your post so didnt want to downvote it by mistake.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
20 hours ago, Shinehead said:

Var was supposed to clear things up but it has had the opposite effect. 

Time for a major overhaul of the system and how it is used.

And as Steve says above most refs are crap and they also seem to enjoy the spotlight and have come a part off the fame game when all they should be is bit part players who's sole job is to officiate.

The main culprit is that offside line that gets drawn showing the attacker slightly in front or even level with the defender and so the goal get's disallowed.

If they altered this to the attacker's whole body being absolutely 100% in front of the line then we would have a much fairer system and one which fans could put up with.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
36 minutes ago, Rudzy said:

The main culprit is that offside line that gets drawn showing the attacker slightly in front or even level with the defender and so the goal get's disallowed.

If they altered this to the attacker's whole body being absolutely 100% in front of the line then we would have a much fairer system and one which fans could put up with.

That would be much better being offside by a toe is just crazy and IMO wrong.

and the Everton penalty at Spurs in 1st game when the ball hit his hand he was facing other way and had no idea it was going to glance his hand.  So handball rule is another that needs sorting out.

for serious foul play that’s missed how about carrying on with the game and punishing next time ball goes out ?

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Sky just reporting on Liverpool & Man Utd in talks with other European club, regarding the start up of a new European Premier League that is FIFA backed 

WTF 

Football is loosing touch with its supporters , or is it an age thing and it’s just me out of touch with today’s times ? 

Either way it’s just money money money .

Edited by Stevegods
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
18 minutes ago, Dylan said:

for serious foul play that’s missed how about carrying on with the game and punishing next time ball goes out ?

What like Van Dick getting in the way  of Pickford trying to get the ball😁🤣🤣🤣

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
6 minutes ago, Stevegods said:

Sky just reporting on Liverpool & Man Utd in talks with other European club, regarding new the start up of a new European Premier League that is FIFA backed 

WTF 

Football is loosing touch with its supporters , or is it an age thing and it’s just out of touch with today’s times 

🤞😁👐sorry for the proper fans though. 

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I dont like liverpool or utd like a lot of fans but like most proper football fans i have always admired the great teams from pool and utd over the years the present owners seem determined to remove even that.

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
7 minutes ago, Leicester Boy said:

I dont like liverpool or utd like a lot of fans but like most proper football fans i have always admired the great teams from pool and utd over the years the present owners seem determined to remove even that.

As you know I'm a United fan.  I only hate , mickies,  dirty leeds and city in that order. Everyone else don't bother me but the owners Glazers are certainly up there. They are only interested in how much money they can wring from my club at whatever level without any cost to them.  

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
5 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

As you know I'm a United fan.  I only hate , mickies,  dirty leeds and city in that order. Everyone else don't bother me but the owners Glazers are certainly up there. They are only interested in how much money they can wring from my club at whatever level without any cost to them.  

Yea i know that steve, i only dislike clubs not individual fans😉but to see these great northern football powerhouses used like this saddens me for english football and their fans.

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

They should bin VAR.  It's nowhere near as much fun ranting and raving at some dickhead in a room miles from the ground as it would be at the Ref/Linesman at a ground, if I'm ever allowed back in them.  The number of howlers/media talking points doesn't seem much different than it was beforehand and disallowed goals just ruins the excitement that a game generates.  Keep hawkeye for goaline decisions and leave it at that.  

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
5 minutes ago, Leicester Boy said:

Yea i know that steve, i only dislike clubs not individual fans😉but to see these great northern football powerhouses used like this saddens me for english football and their fans.

Big money business are in it for one thing, more money.  When I compare the way the owners of most English top teams react to wins/goals they just don't seem bothered most of the time.  If you see the owners of the IPL teams, you can see they love the game, though the money probably doesn't go unappreciated either.

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments/views now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Log back in to Soul Source now!
  1. Detroit Spinners : Love Is In Season Female Solo Version??
    Look At Your Box by ik001 on Tue 16 May 2017
    • 5 / 929
    • ik001 on 24 May 2017
  2. Old Boots For The New Season , August Sales
    Record Sales by Slim Jim on Thu 20 Aug 2015
    • 1 / 616
    • Slim Jim on 20 Aug 2015
  3. Mad Men Season 4 Dvd (blu-ray) - Sold Thanks
    General Sales by spook on Fri 06 Apr 2012
    • 1 / 495
    • spook on 06 Apr 2012
  4. News: Season Greetings To All Members!
    All About The Soul by mike on Wed 24 Dec 2008
    • 1 / 168
    • mike on 24 Dec 2008
  5. The Montclairs - Dreaming Out Of Season - Paula
    Record Sales by 123-motown on Fri 20 Nov 2009
    • 1 / 545
    • 123-motown on 20 Nov 2009

Related Soul Music Links