The Greatstone Hotel

Soulandy

1 minute ago, Dylan said:

I haven’t been to Manchester for a long long time but currently watching manctopia.  It’s staggering how many luxury apartments are being built.

has Corona slowed things down or is it still all systems go ?

Corona has basically bypassed the construction / demolition of Manchester, sites shut down for a few days, few weeks and then off again.  I've lived 3 miles outside the city centre for the last 18 years  the change is unbelievable,  i really don't know who can afford these apartments, flats.

I personally couldn't live there, no gardens no outside space unless you class a tiny balcony or roof terrace if your a millionaire as such.  

I'm surprised that the Greatstone has survived as long as it has, seriously prime real estate but all good things come to a end eventually,  personally not been there for a long time,  really used to enjoy it. 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

49 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Corona has basically bypassed the construction / demolition of Manchester, sites shut down for a few days, few weeks and then off again.  I've lived 3 miles outside the city centre for the last 18 years  the change is unbelievable,  i really don't know who can afford these apartments, flats.

I personally couldn't live there, no gardens no outside space unless you class a tiny balcony or roof terrace if your a millionaire as such.  

I'm surprised that the Greatstone has survived as long as it has, seriously prime real estate but all good things come to a end eventually,  personally not been there for a long time,  really used to enjoy it. 

Agree....

It’s got to be a young persons playground.  Once you settle down and have kids there is no way.

for the price of the more expensive apartments I’d be buying a large house in the country side.

not that long ago high rise tower blocks were being pulled down as failures.  These aren’t the same but it does make you wonder.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Winsford Soul said:

Does make you wonder how long it will be before the agents are selling the "Cupboard" size rooms like in London.

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

Read a little while ago about a Japanese? developer creating "cupboard size" offices in UK in light of of covid, comprising office with sink unit, toilet and drop down bed. Don't think the plan was for these to be leased on an individual basis, more along the lines of companies providing staff with individual pods rather than open plan accomodation.

Social source share

to be honest I don't know how Adrain and family have lasted this long without selling or developing site themselves, it is a very large site if you see it on a match day the amount of cars fitted onto the car park is staggering. and its a prime location for a developer.

Social source share

They must make a fortune from car parking every Man Utd home match. They pack them in so tight you have to wait until the cards around you leave, so you can get out. 

It'll be a shame to see it shut down. Nice bar downstairs

Social source share

7 hours ago, Skegsoul said:

Perhaps the greatest little soul cellar ever.

So many fantastic nights spent there.

Well worth the travel miles from skegness. 

A superb little club and when it was advertised as a 2am finish years ago, well it turned into a longer night than expected 😁🍻. Memories of the curry buffet and the open 🔥 If you're a MUFC fan, the memorabilia is great 👍

Memories

https://m.mixcloud.com/andy-prolze/the-greatstone-hotel-1999/

• Up vote 1
Social source share

22 minutes ago, Soulandy said:

A superb little club and when it was advertised as a 2am finish years ago, well it turned into a longer night than expected 😁🍻. Memories of the curry buffet and the open 🔥 If you're a MUFC fan, the memorabilia is great 👍

Memories

https://m.mixcloud.com/andy-prolze/the-greatstone-hotel-1999/

Andy  that open fire from both rooms is amazing on a freezing cold January night,  Definitely agree with the United theme. 👍it couldn't be anything else with being across the road from OT.

Remember one night driving down Chester Road when i hit a patch of diesel on the roundabout that heads left  towards Urmston and doing a double and a half pirouette any ballerina would have been proud of and stopped inches away from the concrete centre and facing the wrong way only to look up and a Mercedes car heading straight towards me, luckily the two gorgeous girls managed to stop,  checked we ok then drove off, 3am going the opposite way,  a taxi was doing the pirouette on the roundabout,  proper laughing 😀

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

11 hours ago, Soulandy said:

Not sure if this is in the right place but just heard about the Greatstone,  an iconic soul venue for quite sometime. 

https://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news/resi-plotted-for-unviable-stretford-hotel/?fbclid=IwAR1Ptx3SzCIEyCB4-RA5XKdpbdlQbawuYCODcAqLxbXLegPxSgnkHPKk0q0#.X0iufjZcN3E.facebook

Such a shame. The hotel is an iconic building not just amongst soulies but also amongst United fans..You only need to look at the 50s & 60s photos in the cellar bar to see what a venue it must have been in its day. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Sad news, wasn't a regular by any means but enjoyed some good nights in the cellar with knowledgeable Dj's playing some marvellous sets, I remember being pleasantly surprised on my first visit to see an old pub mirror sign for Bury Brewery which was literally  a hundred yards down the road from where I lived a kid. 

There could be quite a few developers with burnt fingers after covid as people realise the value of a bit of open space, Manctopia has been an eyeopener and you cannot help but feel sorry for locals being forced out of the area as prices increase.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!