Birmingham Locarno

Hello Anthony, welcome to Soul Source,

A number of us from Wolverhampton regularly attended the Locarno on Sunday's. However, it was usually after an All-nighter and so memories are a little hazy!

Out on interest, here's a brief review Karen Jones did which was printed in the Northern Noise magazine number 3. I think I had it as a freebie at the Wigan Oldies 4th Anniversary. The "Broken Heart Attack" record is by the Sweet (not the UK glam band!) and the "These Windows...." record is by Village Sounds. Joe Matthews was Cecil Washington.

I do remember a number of us lining up some chairs and pretending to row our canoe when Sammy Davis Jr -" You Can Count On Me" was played! It's the vocal to the Hawaii 5 0 theme.

I look forward to hearing from people with better memories or who were less frazzled from the night before. 

Locarno.jpg

Edited by Bo Diddley
Social source share

Ones I remember from the “ Lacca” that used to get played a fair bit; off the top of my head:

Benny Spellman - Fortune Teller

Rufus Lumley - Stronger Than Me

Flame n King - Oh Happy Day

Main Change - Sunshine is Her Way

As mentioned in the article above Sammy Davis Jr - You Can Count On Me

Eddie Holman - This Will Be a Night To Remember

Also remember an instrumental version of Sweet Talkin’ Guy ( The Chiffons one) but no idea who it was by, I think Clive Jones used to play it. I also remember him playing Casonova by Coffee and moaning it had nothing to do with Northern Soul.

Social source share

Here's few

Ral Donner   Don't Let It Slip Away

The Newbeats   Don't Turn Me Loose

Paula Durante  If He Were Mine

James Coit   Black Power

Levi Jackson   Beautiful Day

Tamala Lewis  You Won't Say Nothing

Marvin Smith    Have More Time

Velvelettes  A Bird In The Hand

Dooley Silver Spoon  Game Players

Vidrations Cause Your Mine

• Up vote 2
Social source share

3 hours ago, El Corol said:

Talking of RCA, both RCA singles by Beverley Ann also used to get played a lot.

Willie Kendrick's and a lot taken from that LP that Richard Searling did the sleeve notes to if i remember correctly. Blowing up my mind was another one 

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Being from Worcester, me and various mates used to go to the Locarno in Brum a lot around 73/74.  You'd hear most of the current biggies of course, but the one that always stood out for me was Don Varner's Tear Stained Face.  I think Pep had about the only known copy and it was always a joy to dance to.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Anthonykingfm said:

Does anyone know if there was a Locarno patch? If you have a pic of one could you post it please, I can't find one online.

I don't think the Locarno was that kind of venue, if you know what I mean?  I don't recall it had the personality to garner a devoted following.  It was great, don't get me wrong, but could easily have been Tiffanys in Brum or Dudley; the Mecca chain of clubs were interchangeable and most of them had a Soul night at one time or another.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 06/09/2020 at 10:59, El Corol said:

Ones I remember from the “ Lacca” that used to get played a fair bit; off the top of my head:

Benny Spellman - Fortune Teller

Rufus Lumley - Stronger Than Me

Flame n King - Oh Happy Day

Main Change - Sunshine is Her Way

As mentioned in the article above Sammy Davis Jr - You Can Count On Me

Eddie Holman - This Will Be a Night To Remember

Also remember an instrumental version of Sweet Talkin’ Guy ( The Chiffons one) but no idea who it was by, I think Clive Jones used to play it. I also remember him playing Casonova by Coffee and moaning it had nothing to do with Northern Soul.

It IS the Chiffons backing track - possibly one of those bad stereo jobs where you could lose the vocal by making it mono - used to have an EMI of it.
Dx

Edited by Davenpete
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

10 hours ago, Anthonykingfm said:

Thank you to everyone who has commented on this and helped me with favorites played at the Locarno.  Now compiling the playlist for the mix on my Youtube channel.

Then you must also include Bernie Williams Ever Again and Rock Candy Alone With No Love; two big faves early 74

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!