Happiness Is Here - Groovesville or Topper

reposted this as was posted under a test account

8 hours ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

I'm sure this info is out there somewhere, but I'm trying to find out if "Happiness Is Here" was a Groovesville recording, later used by Dave Hamilton / Topper, or was it the other way around.

Thanks

some background shows here on Rob Moss's GEORGE McGREGOR - Detroit's busiest drummer feature

I also did a couple of my things on Barbara Mercer over at Golden World too. Mr. Wingate gave me that chance. I wrote 'Happiness is here' on her and 'Just penciled in.' They didn't like 'Happiness' is here' when it was finished so I bought the track from Mr. Wingate for $500 and later, when Dave Hamilton got some investment on his label, did it on Tobi Lark. General Motors were interested in the track. They were thinking of using it on a Chevy commercial but it didn't happen....

full article here

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Thanks Mike, with the following from George  . . .

"I also did a couple of my things on Barbara Mercer over at Golden World too. Mr. Wingate gave me that chance. I wrote 'Happiness is here' on her and 'Just penciled in.' They didn't like 'Happiness' is here' when it was finished so I bought the track from Mr. Wingate for $500 and later, when Dave Hamilton got some investment on his label, did it on Tobi Lark. General Motors were interested in the track. They were thinking of using it on a Chevy commercial but it didn't happen.... "

. . . it must have been a Groovesville track then.

Thanks folks.

Sorry, meant to say it must have been a Golden World / Ed Wigate Track then.

Edited by Mick Holdsworth
Typo
Social source share

19 hours ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

I'm sure this info is out there somewhere, but I'm trying to find out if "Happiness Is Here" was a Groovesville recording, later used by Dave Hamilton / Topper, or was it the other way around.

Thanks

10 hours ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

Thanks Mike, with the following from George  . . .

"I also did a couple of my things on Barbara Mercer over at Golden World too. Mr. Wingate gave me that chance. I wrote 'Happiness is here' on her and 'Just penciled in.' They didn't like 'Happiness' is here' when it was finished so I bought the track from Mr. Wingate for $500 and later, when Dave Hamilton got some investment on his label, did it on Tobi Lark. General Motors were interested in the track. They were thinking of using it on a Chevy commercial but it didn't happen.... "

. . . it must have been a Groovesville track then.

Thanks folks.

If George bought the track from Ed Wingate,then surley it must be Myto Music rather than Groovesville. Chris. 

Social source share

9 hours ago, Wheelsville1 said:

If George bought the track from Ed Wingate,then surley it must be Myto Music rather than Groovesville. Chris. 

But if it wasn’t  recorded on an artist (bit confusing the pencilled her in bit) or released it then maybe it wouldn't have any publishing at that time?

Edited by Chalky
Social source share

12 hours ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

I've only been able to check the opening lines for Detroit Dancers V1, which are on the Ace website. They do not help with individual tracks, but the detailed notes inside may help. Alas don't have a copy.

See Ady can help.

Sleeve notes here for Tobi Lark

DSCF7859.thumb.JPG.f73957be6e82f7eec6e6947086ecd303.JPG

Sorry about sideways view , not sure why.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Interesting, still not 100 pecent of the timeline, but it looks like the origin of the song is through George M at Golden World.  (This may only be the music track if Barbara Mercer was "Just penciled in"). Golden World didn't like it and sold it to George.

(Before he "later" took it to Dave Hamilton, George could have gone to United Sound and recorded vocals with Barbara Mecer, if they wern't already pre recorded at GW).
I emphasize "Could Have". He also could have taken it to other places too.

Dave H than recorded Tobi Lark vocals. and then finished it at United Sound.

So although Barbara could have recorded her vocals after United finished the Tobi Lark session, it seems more likely the recording came to United before Dave H got it, and they recorded Barbaras vocals (if they wern't already pre-recorded at Golden World) and for whatever reason never did any more with it, paving the way for George to go to Dave Hamilton.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

Interesting, still not 100 pecent of the timeline, but it looks like the origin of the song is through George M at Golden World.  (This may only be the music track if Barbara Mercer was "Just penciled in"). Golden World didn't like it and sold it to George.

(Before he "later" took it to Dave Hamilton, George could have gone to United Sound and recorded vocals with Barbara Mecer, if they wern't already pre recorded at GW).
I emphasize "Could Have". He also could have taken it to other places too.

Dave H than recorded Tobi Lark vocals. and then finished it at United Sound.

So although Barbara could have recorded her vocals after United finished the Tobi Lark session, it seems more likely the recording came to United before Dave H got it, and they recorded Barbaras vocals (if they wern't already pre-recorded at Golden World) and for whatever reason never did any more with it, paving the way for George to go to Dave Hamilton.

Personaly i think Barbara recorded the song first,Ed wingate didn't like the song and as chalky said it was proberly not registerd with BMI hence there was no publishing on it,unlike My Dear Heart which when it was released by Shawn Robinson was credited to Myto Music. Chris. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 1 month later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!