Sunnysoul

• Replies 37
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Diana finally jumps on the Northern Soul band wagon with a "tailor made" version of the Spiral Starecase

What d'ya think ? shades.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI3wVJ-azAM

I`ll go first,absolutley ace dont think we`ll seeing her at a weekender near you to soon tho` :unsure: northern soul bandwagon dont think so do you :thumbsup: imagine..........hey gang lets record XYZ its northernsoul.

:yes:

Edited by ken
Social source share

I`ll go first,absolutley ace dont think we`ll seeing her at a weekender near you to soon tho` angry.gif northern soul bandwagon dont think so do you :unsure: imagine..........hey gang lets record XYZ its northernsoul.

:thumbsup:

yeah ken , my "bandwagon" comment was tongue in cheek of course , she does the tune pretty good , though I haven't checked out the official CD studio version yet ...

Social source share

Guest mel brat

yeah ken , my "bandwagon" comment was tongue in cheek of course , she does the tune pretty good , though I haven't checked out the official CD studio version yet ...

There's a version by Barbara Acklin on one of her albums. Don't know whether you've heard it...

Social source share

Barbara McNair does a strange manic fast version on her Audio Fidelity album from the late 60's ... unsure.gif

I presume that this LP is the one you are referring to ..... agreed , her version of " MTTY " is a little manic .

Malc Burton

post-5097-1169377960_thumb.jpg

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

I presume that this LP is the one you are referring to ..... agreed , her version of " MTTY " is a little manic .

Malc Burton

That's the one Malc, I haven't dug out it out of the vaults in ages , but I seem to recall it has one other tune on it with some Northern dancefloor appeal hasn't it? If nothing else it's a great LP to look at , Barbara was a stunner ! Former Playboy Pet wasn't she !

Social source share

Bloody appallying; is it me or has her voice gone?

I agree with you, this was not one of her best vocal performances.

In saying that I think it's a difficult song to sing

Social source share

Myself being a motown collector for the last 25 years and very passinate about my northern soul, as someone quoted earlier Diana Ross was better with the supremes nothing personal i think her sqeeky voice has let her down in the past although this does sound deeper marks out of 10 - 6.5.

Cover versions are very difficult as we all know and to be a hit on the northern soul dancefloor for example the new Ami Winehouse Album track 7 "Tears dry on thier own" sounds very familar to Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrells "aint no mountain high enough" .

Does anybody agree????

Social source share

Myself being a motown collector for the last 25 years and very passinate about my northern soul, as someone quoted earlier Diana Ross was better with the supremes nothing personal i think her sqeeky voice has let her down in the past although this does sound deeper marks out of 10 - 6.5.

Cover versions are very difficult as we all know and to be a hit on the northern soul dancefloor for example the new Ami Winehouse Album track 7 "Tears dry on thier own" sounds very familar to Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrells "aint no mountain high enough" .

Does anybody agree????

any chance you can post a clip of Amy?

Social source share

I agree with you, this was not one of her best vocal performances.

In saying that I think it's a difficult song to sing

Naa, it's not that difficult; come drive in the car with me and I'll sing it to you :thumbsup:

I like Ross but this video and sound leave me cold; not quite the heady days of Vagas but you see the she want's to give it that big performance but knows the voice will not hold out.

That Ami Whinninghouse track; a bit more enthusiasum dear, you are being paid to perform.

Social source share

Bloody appallying; is it me or has her voice gone?

Well i like it,so there :thumbsup: how old is she 108 or something,i wont be able to talk by then nevermind sing.

Social source share

63 March this year.......

take a listen Ken she is a bit weak vocally but nevertheless she'slooks like she's having a good time....

Your probberly right,but at 63 i think good effort of coarse i probberly wont like the cd cut done in the studio,i`ll reserve my judgment till somebody posts it up,or i get to hear it.

Social source share

Does anybody agree????

It samples the actual track...(second thoughts, they probably recreated it)

Edited by Pete-S
Social source share

Not sure Ross doing 'More Today' really counts as Northern Soul band wagon jumping ken..it was a big hit in the US after all and there are loads and loads of cover versions...

Eh!,i said that :wicked:

Social source share

I think you've gotta cut Miss Ross a bit of slack here, if she sounds a bit croaky , it's probably because she is doing the Letterman show absolutely LIVE and stone cold, and presumably this was the only song she performed that night ...

So even a seasoned pro like her has to be given a chance to warm up a little bit. As I say, I haven't heard her recorded studio version on her new CD ...

Social source share

She sounds a bit croaky live, the lp versions better

wasn't the spiral staircase version a US hit?

So maybe shes jumping on the US sixties pop market bandwagon?

Sunny and Cher.

Social source share

If i knew where it was i would Stereotype,i dont know if it was a hit really i got it on a album,though i would thro`them names in,just incase.

Hi Ken

I tried to find it on the net but got a medley thing instead

Sonny wrote it

spiral staircase went to number 12 with it (there first proper hit), but it became a standard in the US

(got that from their discography)

wouldn't mind hearing sonny & chers original though

off to bed now, work beckons

regards Pete

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!