Jump to content

Won’t Send To The UK - how annoying is this?


Recommended Posts

Posted

Some USA sellers declare they won’t send auction records to the UK. The Steinways on Oliver is a case in point right now. How frustrating is this for UK collectors and dealers? Why the discrimination? Surely the sellers want to realise a high price! How many of these records ultimately sell for below the going rate? Here’s hoping someone in the USA or the rest of the world can grab the Steinways for under $60.

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amount Of Reads

  •  Views 456

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

there is currently uk sellers not trading abroad so it seems to me like a virus thing . Not sure

Just about to ask why....bit bonkers to me. If people feel that strongly a good disinfect of box and record would be fine wouldn't it?? Maybe I'm missing something...kind regards...Rob

But this has been going on for years though. If it is a bad time to do mail order sales, then why not wait until the Covid-19 situation improves?

Posted
11 minutes ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Some USA sellers declare they won’t send auction records to the UK. The Steinways on Oliver is a case in point right now. How frustrating is this for UK collectors and dealers? Why the discrimination? Surely the sellers want to realise a high price! How many of these records ultimately sell for below the going rate? Here’s hoping someone in the USA or the rest of the world can grab the Steinways for under $60.

there is currently uk sellers not trading abroad so it seems to me like a virus thing . Not sure

  • Up vote 3
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Just about to ask why....bit bonkers to me. If people feel that strongly a good disinfect of box and record would be fine wouldn't it?? Maybe I'm missing something...kind regards...Rob

  • Up vote 3
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
5 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

there is currently uk sellers not trading abroad so it seems to me like a virus thing . Not sure

But this has been going on for years though. If it is a bad time to do mail order sales, then why not wait until the Covid-19 situation improves?

  • Up vote 3
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

The Steinways just sold for $187 so both the seller and buyer should be happy with the result. Nevertheless, I remain baffled by the reluctance of some sellers to send records to the UK. Maybe sending items abroad is just too much hassle? Is it the Royal Mail that’s a problem, or heavens forbid, the dodgy Brits?

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Frankie Crocker said:

The Steinways just sold for $187 so both the seller and buyer should be happy with the result. Nevertheless, I remain baffled by the reluctance of some sellers to send records to the UK. Maybe sending items abroad is just too much hassle? Is it the Royal Mail that’s a problem, or heavens forbid, the dodgy Brits?

Would say that's a good buy for someone. The royal mail have always been good with my postage. How do you mean dodgy frankie? Think I'm to honest and maybe naive😂😂...Rob

Edited by Lionelonthevinyl
  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
5 minutes ago, Modernsoulsucks said:

With postage $200 for a VG+ copy.

Isn't that what it's worth ?

Thought there £250?? Although my knowledge is miles off now....thought Jimmy soul Clark was £150 max but Mr manship got a tad more....Thank you Rob

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 hour ago, Lionelonthevinyl said:

Would say that's a good buy for someone. The royal mail have always been good with my postage. How do you mean dodgy frankie? Think I'm to honest and maybe naive😂😂...Rob

I was being a bit sarcastic. I regard UK record dealers as purer than the driven snow, especially those having a great reputation on Soul Source. However, some folk abroad might perceive UK buyers somewhat differently. Some sellers state they won’t post to Russia and that’s perfectly understandable without going into detail. Others list a whole stream of countries where they won’t post to, possibly because of non-payers or maybe even fraudulent activity.

  • Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
36 minutes ago, Ladymidnight said:

Quite a few sellers on here that don’t want to ship outside the UK, even before covid time.

Yes, that’s true. I will post to Europe and further overseas, but problems are difficult to sort out when they arise. Obviously, language barriers are hard to overcome when you need to phone someone at a foreign mail depot. Sending valuable records a long distance is a risky business as John Manship will testify.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I buy the odd watch and since the pandemic a lot of foreign sellers have declined to sell to the UK, I've read a few things about delays in the US postal system and goods being stuck for months at a time. Dunno if that's a factor?

 

  • Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
55 minutes ago, Timillustrator said:

I buy the odd watch and since the pandemic a lot of foreign sellers have declined to sell to the UK, I've read a few things about delays in the US postal system and goods being stuck for months at a time. Dunno if that's a factor?

 

That’s a few mentions of sellers avoiding postal delays due to the pandemic. But why put the UK off limits and not other countries? Records I have won in auctions recently have been delivered on time in most cases, although one took about a month to reach London.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Yeah it's probably not a totally logical decision on their part but maybe the fact that Britain has the highest COVID19 death rate in Europe plus Brexit make it look a bad bet overall?

soul source url
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments/views now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Log in to Soul Source

Jump right back in!

Log back in to Soul Source now!
  1. Worst Or Most Annoying Tune That's Being Played At The Moment
    All About The Soul by Ianbrown on Wed 28 Mar 2007
    • 60 / 3152
    • in town Mikey on 04 Apr 2007
  2. Annoying Things The Media Say When They Talk About Northern Soul
    All About The Soul by son of stan on Tue 07 Apr 2015
    • 30 / 2732
    • Benji on 08 Apr 2015
  3. Do You Know What I Find Really Annoying?
    All About The Soul by Lynsey_Wez on Sun 11 Mar 2007
    • 89 / 4564
    • Peter99 on 19 Mar 2007
  4. How Annoying Is This?
    Look At Your Box by gazman on Tue 25 Nov 2008
    • 4 / 401
    • Dennisoul on 25 Nov 2008
  5. Annoying Gits On Evil-bay
    All About The Soul by the dukester on Mon 06 Jun 2005
    • 24 / 2189
    • sigher the gutter snype on 07 Jun 2005

Related Soul Music Links


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.