Themed Soul Night

I've always thought that it would be nice to go to an evening of tunes that were unreleased at the time of recording.

Could include things like Al Williams-Try Them, 100 Club 45s, Grapevine ie Betty Boo, Grapevine 2000, Motown tunes and any other odds and sods.

Would anybody else enjoy?

Social source share

• Replies 24
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I've always thought that it would be nice to go to an evening of tunes that were unreleased at the time of recording.

Could include things like Al Williams-Try Them, 100 Club 45s, Grapevine ie Betty Boo, Grapevine 2000, Motown tunes and any other odds and sods.

Sounds a great idea Tony, If you go through the Kent catalogue there's enough for more than one night, and that's just one label !

Social source share

I would have thought that surely the majority do???

I disagree Tony, I think a vast majority dance to what they like and have no knowledge of the origins of that tune...nothing at all wrong with that. Can you imagine a paying punter on the night asking for something and you having to explain that it was`nt released on or near its actual recording date?...Do you think they will actually care?!

My idea for a collectors night would be "All records played are currently under £30"!

Now that would bring the crowds back...

Chris

Social source share

Guest lifeandsoul

i have been buying records since the early 70's - so I have quite a few! I am not a 'collector', its the music for me..........and i wouldn't have the faintest clue on this!

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Call me a pedant, but arent all tunes unreleased at the time of recording?

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

I just showed this thread to my Hubby and his suggestion was a themed fancy dress night biggrin.gif Without custard :thumbsup:

And what on earth is a milk based incentive!

Edited by ♫ Soulgirl ♫
Social source share

I would have thought that surely the majority do???

I disagree Tony, I think a vast majority dance to what they like and have no knowledge of the origins of that tune...nothing at all wrong with that. Can you imagine a paying punter on the night asking for something and you having to explain that it was`nt released on or near its actual recording date?...Do you think they will actually care?!

My idea for a collectors night would be "All records played are currently under £30"!

Now that would bring the crowds back...

Chris

How?????????,wont the £30 records then be £50 and so on..........thats the way of it on the northernsoul record scene,you would finnish up with no cheap records how can this be good,£30 record nighter would be ok for a couple but a novelty and they will soon be bored.

Social source share

You're right Ken.

Any themed night would just be a soapbox for those that have enough of that particular 'theme' to make up a set, unless there are countless DJ's.

Me? Don't mind what's played if I can dance to them biggrin.gif

Social source share

You're right Ken.

Any themed night would just be a soapbox for those that have enough of that particular 'theme' to make up a set, unless there are countless DJ's.

Me? Don't mind what's played if I can dance to them :thumbsup:

Thats cool,and i`m with you on the dance floor. unsure.gif

Social source share

Thats cool,and i`m with you on the dance floor. unsure.gif

Which is what it's all about for a soul night... right? :thumbsup: I'll meet you by the bar - I owe you an apologetic pint

bigcuddleee.gif

Social source share

Which is what it's all about for a soul night... right? :thumbsup: I'll meet you by the bar - I owe you an apologetic pint

bigcuddleee.gif

Half(lemonade) and a bag a`nuts please shades.gif

Social source share

wont the £30 records then be £50 and so on..........thats the way of it on the northernsoul record scene,you would finnish up with no cheap records how can this be good,£30 record nighter would be ok for a couple but a novelty and they will soon be bored.

Yeah, thats what i said Ken...as a collectors night, not a nighter and not on a regular basis...a one off!

Chris

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

why do a theme night when people might not come knowing certain records won't get played. But to imagine it being all un-released is great for a night but vinyl surely be harder to get then if it was on cd.

As for knowing about recordings sometimes people are happy to know basic or want the knowledge of it more to keep for future refrence, most of the time i have no bother if i hear a song from 1968 yet recorded in 1967 i think blah but maybe some songs i really like so want to know more about it.

You could imagine a theme night on cover versions as in all songs are covers of a popular or original track. Just that would make my dad first in line he almost collects cover versions and loves finding more versions of songs you just didn't know exsisted

Social source share

I have a pal in HMP Wandsworth :P who wanted to do a unreleased for the unreleased CD .................but we couldn't get it released!

:D:shades::no::D:yes: Stop it poppit! :D:D:P Stop it now!

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert