New Night In South Wales

Guest in town Mikey

Guest in town Mikey

Hi

I'm starting a new soul night in Newport, South Wales, with Dan Collins and Simon Bonsor. First one is on Saturday Jan 22nd. The nights will be at the Walkabout Australian bar (formerly the Kings Hotel), at 19 Bridge Street, Newport.

- music policy of a few good soulful oldies, some current monsters and some

little known £15 45s.

Night runs from 9 til 2am. £4 entry with NUS getting in for £2. (We are

hoping to attract a few new faces to Northern Soul)

Guest DJs for the first night will be - Andy Hutchins, Vince Ayres and

Matt.

Dan, Simon and myself will also be playing some tunes.

The first night is the day after the Soul Commando's first Anniversary in

Abergavenny, so you can make a weekend of it. The Walkabout is still a

hotel, and rooms can be booked on 01633 259710

I will put the details up in the events guide. it would be great to see any SSers that can make it.

Edited by in town Mikey
  • Replies 32
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Wish you luck with this one, Mikey.

Should have a decent floor if it's like most of the other Walkabouts.

If I can get my private jet fixed in time I'll fly down for your first night. But the manifold is blowing a bit, so don't want to risk it before it's fixed.

'Bout time you gave some of your very good records an 'airing'.

See you soon fella,

Jamie blush.gif

Guest in town Mikey

Cheers Jamie.

Bricking it actually. Havent played any records in public for nearly 20 years. I hope I get the 8-9pm spot. ie just before the doors open. blush.gif

Hi

I'm starting a new soul night in Newport, South Wales, with Dan Collins and Simon Bonsor. First one is on Saturday Jan 22nd. The nights will be at the Walkabout Australian bar (formerly the Kings Hotel), at 19 Bridge Street, Newport.

little known £15 45s.

Night runs from 9 til 2am. £5 entry with NUS getting in for £2. (We are

Matt.

I will put the details up in the events guide. it would be great to see any SSers that can make it.

link

Good luck guys, hope it goes brilliantly for you blush.gif I know that Dan's got an amazing collection, so no doubt it'll be a night of quality! I actually stayed in that very venue when we (Wales) lost to Russia in the Euro playoff last year blush.gif If memory serves me right, huge place with large quality dancefloor - should be a packer!! Good luck

:(

Rich

Guest in town Mikey

Thanks again Rich.

Dan's got a great knowledge too. we are all a bit nervous. Simon is living locally, Dan brings some great records, and I, though not being on the Matt Jahans level, can talk utter nonesense as much as the next man blush.gif

The three lads guesting all have great collections, and know the local scene inside out. The venue used to run scooter dos a few years back I think, so it has a tried and tested audience.

My flatmate is at the uni, so we are getting her to push the night to the students. Like I said initially, we want to introduce new people to the music, in a local environment, that will hopefully whet their appetites, and may get them to explore other nights around Wales and the West, or when they return home, in the future.

Oh well that's the south wales double sorted then :( VSC's fuckin great

....and big signs saying NO DRINK on the dancefloor blush.gif for the new faces.

yours

dancefloor snob blush.gif

ps. has anyone told Little Stevie that there may well be loads of beautiful young welsh ladies WITH teeth....Meow

ps.  has anyone told Little Stevie that there may well be loads of beautiful young welsh ladies WITH teeth....Meow

link

.....smelling of Sheep-Dip blush.gif:(:(

Only joking !!!! :(blush.gif

personally i like wales jamie, and have sampled the soul scene there..i.e bangor,and a few other long worded ones i cannot spell

link

I love Wales too, can't believe them Japs & Norwegians kill them. Just horrid. blush.gif

Sorry Mikey, too far off topic.

Seriously, good luck and if I wasn't so poor I'd be there like a shot.

All the best,

Jamie blush.gif

Edited by Jamie
Guest in town Mikey

I reckon that will be a real sucess. Wish there was a nightlike that in mcr. Im sure that it will be a packer and its top that your trying to get young un's like myself involved in the music.

Good luck!

link

Thanks for the support Paul. Have you been to Steve Cato's do's at the Ducie?? I believe Steve has a taste for lovely young student ladies blush.gif

Not yet been to the VSC, but looking forward to getting to their 1st anni. I have some old friends from way back, so will be looking to see if any of them recognise me

Dunno about an amazing collection or great knowledge (blushing as I write - I'd say about average for the first and below average for the second to be honest) but thanks for nice words!

As Mike says the idea is to get some of the students of Newport to come along as well though obviously without trying to lose the northern/rare soul focus of the event so there will be mention made of no drinks (or fags) on floor etc.

It's not a massive room so 50+ people would look OK, though the capacity is 120.

Only 4 quid in, beer is cheap and as Mike says there's a hotel above so you can crash afterwards.

Anyone from Wales able to help with promotion/dishing out flyers? Also looking for collector/DJs for future nights as we don't exactly have a big budget...anyone interested please let us know...particularly if from Wales/Brostol/West Country ie reasonably local

dan

• 5 weeks later...
Guest in town Mikey

Shameless attempt to get this topic back on the front page, as the night is next week, and I am beginning to get a tad nervous.

Went to the student night at the venue last night, and handed out loads of flyers. Got a few bites, and managed to chat to lots of pretty young ladies in very short skirts. (its a rotten job)

Obviously we would be delighted if any SSers could make it, and as I said in the thread before. It is the night after Abergavenny Soul Commandos first anniversary. Will be down there drumming up a bit of support, and renewing some old friendships hopefully. Why not make a weekend of it. :lamsey:

Guest Johnny One Trout

Mikey i can't believe that you didn't name the night after that famous West Country Northern Soul Obsessed footballer who even ghanged his name to suit his musical taste

Junior A-GO-GO :lamsey:

Hi

little known £15 45s.

Matt.

link

Hi

little known £15 45s.

Matt.

link

Hello Mikey,

Nice surprise to see Vince Ayres' name, lost touch with him years ago. Knows his stuff does Vince, Dans a sound bloke as well, another one thats definitely on the case. Hope it goes well for you mate.

Ady.

Guest in town Mikey

Mikey i can't believe that you didn't name the night after that famous West Country Northern Soul Obsessed footballer who even ghanged his name to suit his musical taste

Junior A-GO-GO :yes:

link

He plays for the wrong side of Bristol kolla :shhh:

Thanks for the wishes Ady. Vince is a top bloke. Its just catching him while he stillhas his collection, before he sells up and starts over again. :yes:

Guest Johnny One Trout

Mikey i can't believe that you didn't name the night after that famous West Country Northern Soul Obsessed footballer who even changed his name to suit his musical taste

Junior A-GO-GO :yes:

link

He plays for the wrong side of Bristol kolla  :P

link

It's not Kolla and i know exactly who he plays for COME ON YOU GAS :shhh::yes::P

Guest in town Mikey

Good luck with it Mikey - with Andy and Vince guesting you should have a good night. Try to make it over to Weston the following Saturday and you can give me a full debrief.

Trouble is as it's a Walkabout, I suppose there's no chance of that pint of Brains SA now.........

Jerry.

link

No the choice is limited i must admit, for a bitter drinker. Doesnt appeal to the kids I guess. You like the crapkits Jerry?? Oh well takes all sorts. And I here they will take anybody they can :shhh:

Sorry Kolla, I had just read the previous post, but had copied JOTs post! Its all too confusing this internet lark.

:yes:

Guest in town Mikey

No Dan Cant think of anything.

Unless you count Matt, who is DJing for us on Saturday, has joined soul source, since i put him on to it.

Welcome to Soul Source Matt!!

:D

Guest andrew bin

Had a great night in newport, fantastic music (great DJ's particularly liked Matts set) think the arctic weather conditions put a few off traveling, (bloody lightweights :thumbsup: ) looking forward to the next one welldone guys laugh.gif

Allthough we did go to the wrong venue first, the Kings hotel opposed to old Queens hotel (thick as shit) :lol:

...............Andrew

Edited by andrew bin
Guest in town Mikey

Cheer Andrew. You are too kind.

Disappointing turnout, but the good thing is we got to meet you guys this weekend.

Glad everybody who did brave the rotten weather were all determined to enjoy themselves.

We've met some great people who are all considered our friends. The three guest DJs all played some fantastic tunes, and along with the guys who came along to listen, gave Dan, Simon and myself a lot of much needed support. It gives us faith in the night, so we will probably try another one in the near future.

Once again, thanks to everyone who came on Saturday night.

It was always going to be difficult tryong to follow Abergavenny on the Friday, which was a superb night. Who played Marva hicks - looking over my shoulder?? Only the second time i have heard that one out, since Yate closed. Got a decent dancefloor reaction too!

Belated thanks to those who were there, enjoyed myself tremendously thanks to copious quantities of stella artois. shame it wasn't busier but mikey and i are thinking of doing another. will keep you posted

hoping djs will post their playlists for interest.

in the meantime i played (in case anyone is remotely interested!):

Rosco Gordon - You Got My Bait - Jomada

Andre Williams and his Orch - Rib Tips - Avin

Just Brothers - Things Will Be Better - Empire

David Coleman - My Foolish Heart - Barry

Bobby Reed - I'll Find A Way - Loma

Dee Dee Warwick - When Love Slips Away - Mercury

Sensations - Too Shy - Way Out

Sylvia Shemwell - He'll Come Back - Phillips

The Superbs - The Wind Is Blowing - Dore

Fortson and Scott - Sweet Lover - Pzazz

Pat Thompson and Archie Powell - Darling...Darling - Mir-a-Don