Notts Days Gone By Etc Was: Soul Cafe Nottingham

Someone told us last night that there a soul cafe opened up on Queen street in Nottingham. Juke box in situ and playing soul 12 hours per day. Can't recall anymore of what was what else was said (Frightening really don't know if its age or what but I can have the most in depth conversation at a soul do and can't for the life of me remember the details of what was talked about the next day!) :thumbsup:

Anyway, anyone been or know any more about it? Planning on taking a trip down next Saturday so will feedback following that.

Cheers

Sharon

Social source share

• Replies 66
  • Views 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

went to mates 50th there last year for a meal, and popped in few dinner times before.

meal bit on expensive side but good value as there was plenty of it, my opinion anyway.

no room for dancing but mainly northern played, either from cd or on jukebox. nice flyers/posters on walls, worth a visit.

Stateside Steak Bar.

cheers

steve

Social source share

Guest biggray1

Also while on the subject of Soul on Jukebox etc,back in the mid seventy we used to frequent the Fountain Bar whos juke box was well stocked with all the Northern release. The Bar was a few yards down from Selecterdisc on Rope Walk so the shop workers from selecterdisc must have supplied the vinyl me thinks...I'll ask Rob Smith...anyone else remember the Fountain. cool.gif

Social source share

Also while on the subject of Soul on Jukebox etc,back in the mid seventy we used to frequent the Fountain Bar whos juke box was well stocked with all the Northern release. The Bar was a few yards down from Selecterdisc on Rope Walk so the shop workers from selecterdisc must have supplied the vinyl me thinks...I'll ask Rob Smith...anyone else remember the Fountain. cool.gif

Yes Graham ,uesd to visit pre/post Forest matches .Selecta did supply some of there records. Anyway I must visit this venue on Queens st

Social source share

Hi Gray,fountain was my sort of local back when I was a lad,every time I went out,was in there,good old days,is it still there I wonder

Bazza

Social source share

Yes remember The Fountain very well..Always used to meet Chris there before he went off to the match and also was a place where where me and my best mate used to go to arrange our lift to Cleethorpes etc.

Sharon

Social source share

Guest biggray1

Hi Gray,fountain was my sort of local back when I was a lad,every time I went out,was in there,good old days,is it still there I wonder

Bazza

Hi Bazza,unfortunatly the Fountain was closed back in the 80s due to soccer violance etc..the bar was a target for visiting fans and as Mak mentioned it was a haunt for Forest Supporters and Forest Soulies..Me.. before the match at the Shrine :thumbsup: ie City Ground.

PS We used to go in the Trent Navigation @ the side of Trent bridge wich also had Northern on its Juke Box...must have been the Norm in the pubs cos of the public demand for Northern etc......Can remember Footsee being played continuosly wich realy did make me sup up and leave....fookin record thmbdn.gif

Edited by biggray1
Social source share

Hi Bazza,unfortunatly the Fountain was closed back in the 80s due to soccer violance etc..the bar was a target for visiting fans and as Mak mentioned it was a haunt for Forest Supporters and Forest Soulies..Me.. before the match at the Shrine :thumbsup: ie City Ground.

PS We used to go in the Trent Navigation @ the side of Trent bridge wich also had Northern on its Juke Box...must have been the Norm in the pubs cos of the public demand for Northern etc......Can remember Footsee being played continuosly wich realy did make me sup up and leave....fookin record thmbdn.gif

yep used to go to the Navigation,and of course .the flying Horse ,shopping mall ,so they tell me now,great pub the flying horse was

Bazza

Social source share

Someone told us last night that there a soul cafe opened up on Queen street in Nottingham. Juke box in situ and playing soul 12 hours per day. Can't recall anymore of what was what else was said (Frightening really don't know if its age or what but I can have the most in depth conversation at a soul do and can't for the life of me remember the details of what was talked about the next day!) :thumbsup:

Anyway, anyone been or know any more about it? Planning on taking a trip down next Saturday so will feedback following that.

Cheers

Sharon

Pam and I have been 3 times when shopping in Nottingham, and as someone else said little on the expensive side but you do get plenty and it is well prepared. The times we have popped in on the quiet side but that was mid-afternoon. You can play from the juke box various popular northern tunes no charge for playing, just have to ask staff member. well worth a visit.

Barry and Pam Cooper

Edited by BBB
Social source share

yep used to go to the Navigation,and of course .the flying Horse ,shopping mall ,so they tell me now,great pub the flying horse was

Bazza

Yep, I used to get dragged in to the Fountain with all my Forest mates. We always started off in the Flying Horse then used to nip in to a pub just up from it called the Exchange I think ( a bit seedy in the back room if I remember correctly )

Steve B

Social source share

Yep, I used to get dragged in to the Fountain with all my Forest mates. We always started off in the Flying Horse then used to nip in to a pub just up from it called the Exchange I think ( a bit seedy in the back room if I remember correctly )

Steve B

You never went into the Fountain with your black and whites on did you? No can't have done: you wouldn't be here now to tell the tale :wicked:

Flying horse was always a bit of a hole as I remember but good atmosphere!

Social source share

You never went into the Fountain with your black and whites on did you? No can't have done: you wouldn't be here now to tell the tale :wicked:

Flying horse was always a bit of a hole as I remember but good atmosphere!

No way, I might be thick but I'm not stupid :D

Social source share

Steve , I bet you never wore a short sleeved shirt in there did you ?

I Always had enough on to cover any tattoo that could mean the end of life as I knew it when drinking in Notts :wicked:

Social source share

Steve , I bet you never wore a short sleeved shirt in there did you ?

Ey up Mak , us Eastwood lads used to get in to more bother up your neck of the woods in Ripley at the famous Regal club in the 70's than we did down Nott's. It didn't matter who we supported if we were from Eastwood ( painful memorys but good ones )Same went for the Gray Topper at Jacksdale ( where Pete Taylor used to Dj !) :wicked:

Steve B

Social source share

Guest biggray1

great selection in Fountain and probably one of few jukebox in country where you cold hear Eula Cooper - Let Our Love Grow Higher.

steve

And Mel Britt too :wicked:

Social source share

Guest biggray1

Ey up Mak , us Eastwood lads used to get in to more bother up your neck of the woods in Ripley at the famous Regal club in the 70's than we did down Nott's. It didn't matter who we supported if we were from Eastwood ( painful memorys but good ones )Same went for the Gray Topper at Jacksdale ( where Pete Taylor used to Dj !) :wicked:

Steve B

I have Dj'd at the Late Date..ie Regal back in the early 70s,and thanx for reminding me about Pete Taylor Dj Grey Topper Jacksdale :D I can remember Peter Playing is records in Jacksdale and his DISCO SHOW was Ok laugh.gif sorry Pete only Jokin mate laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest biggray1

Anyone remember cockney Stu at the Fountain...Forest leader with Balls as big as Cricket Balls! He Loved his Northern and he used to Sit with us and get to know the records etc...he started comin too the Palais till Football raised its head and he was turfed out!! Must have been my first skuffle seen at a soul dew...1975...what a year thmbdn.gif Hard as nails that Stew. Gray

Edited by biggray1
Social source share

Anyone remember cockney Stu at the Fountain...Forest leader with Balls as big as Cricket Balls! He Loved his Northern and he used to Sit with us and get to know the records etc...he started comin too the Palais till Football raised its head and he was turfed out!! Must have been my first skuffle seen at a soul dew...1975...what a year thmbdn.gif Hard as nails that Stew. Gray

Yep Chris remembers Cockney Stu, always gave him a wide berth, Remembers him in the Trent End too, never one to pull out of a chance for a 'bit ov bovver'

Social source share

Someone told us last night that there a soul cafe opened up on Queen street in Nottingham. Juke box in situ and playing soul 12 hours per day. Can't recall anymore of what was what else was said (Frightening really don't know if its age or what but I can have the most in depth conversation at a soul do and can't for the life of me remember the details of what was talked about the next day!) :wicked:

Cheers

Sharon

hi sharon going to notts on thursday will call in and make a few enquires. p.s. another storming nite at pilsley

Social source share

Remember the fountain with fondness, and the tiny court yard at the back. A rum old place on a match day mind :wicked:

Social source share

Bazza

and across from the Foutain, the legendary Dog and Bear; now a feckin Starbucks

Social source share

Steve B

May not have mattered to you Steve but to us Eastwood "Red Dogs" it did :D

Grey Topper used to have mid week soul nights in the mid 80s ( it was called Woodys then I think). Remember seeing Guy Hennigan there; anyone know who promoted it?

Social source share

and across from the Foutain, the legendary Dog and Bear; now a feckin Starbucks

remember standing in there one dinner time when a very famous vagrant around nottm city centre came in with dog muck spread all over his head (He was a strange 'un admittedly) He didn't last long in there! AAH happy days!! :wicked:

Social source share

Not Stu Morris, Big bald Geezer? If so he used to run the Pretty Windows in Snienton.

Social source share

Not Stu Morris, Big bald Geezer? If so he used to run the Pretty Windows in Snienton.

-

last time i saw Stu was at Peggers, held a Soul nite there occasional sundays, came out there once and coppers everywhere on roads, some bloody fool tried to land plane on M1 ;-)

Stu ran bouncers round Notts and was regularly at Astoria, few decent nights there as well early 80's.

steve

Social source share

May not have mattered to you Steve but to us Eastwood "Red Dogs" it did :unsure:

Grey Topper used to have mid week soul nights in the mid 80s ( it was called Woodys then I think). Remember seeing Guy Hennigan there; anyone know who promoted it?

Are you the Byrney who knocks around with Snez?

Last time I went down the Topper was in 1979, I took my now wife to see the UK Subs and she asked me never to take her there again so I never went down when it changed to Woodys wine bar.

Social source share

-

last time i saw Stu was at Peggers, held a Soul nite there occasional sundays, came out there once and coppers everywhere on roads, some bloody fool tried to land plane on M1 ;-)

Stu ran bouncers round Notts and was regularly at Astoria, few decent nights there as well early 80's.

steve

Big Stu,not seen him for years ,hard as nails,reminds me of buster bloodvessel,is he still around then?

Bazza

Social source share

-

steve

Yep, same here; last time I saw him was at Peggers. Also went to the soul nights at the astoria, if I remember right these were before the place fully opeded as a Hi NRG brawling palace.

Stu as a bouncer always conducted himself with dignity as opssed to most of the meat heads who did the doors in Notts

Social source share

Last time I went down the Topper was in 1979, I took my now wife to see the UK Subs and she asked me never to take her there again so I never went down when it changed to Woodys wine bar.

That's our kid (Mick) :thumbsup:

Talking of the topper; I went to a palias all dayer in 79, came out at 6ish and went with our Mick and a load of Eastwood lads (punks) to see either The Angelic Upstarts.

There was a massive battle outside between Eastwood and Sutton if I remeber rightly.

Stuck with the palias after that

Social source share

Big Stu,not seen him for years ,hard as nails,reminds me of buster bloodvessel,is he still around then?

Bazza

Ahh big Stu Morris now yah talking used to knock around with him in the 60t's Bazza ,him and Yan, big Stu saved my bacon one all dayer at the Dungeon, some blokes trying to knock hell out of me, but Stu came to my rescue, last I heard of him he went over to Spain for awhile then heard he had some health problems, good bloke lived in Carlton area.

What did you think about Saturday night Bazza?

Barry

Social source share

Ahh big Stu Morris now yah talking used to knock around with him in the 60t's Bazza ,him and Yan, big Stu saved my bacon one all dayer at the Dungeon, some blokes trying to knock hell out of me, but Stu came to my rescue, last I heard of him he went over to Spain for awhile then heard he had some health problems, good bloke lived in Carlton area.

What did you think about Saturday night Bazza?

Barry

Not seen Stu for at least 25 years,maybe longer,Saturday at Pilsley,as always enjoyed every minute of it,Wendy loves it there,she says she always feels comfortable,great night Barry

cya soon

Bazza

Edited by bazza
Social source share

Guest biggray1

I was there that nite when Uk Subs was on,what a nite,the Lead singer of the subs and his mate were all pissed in the Treble tops accross the road from Topper,we thought the gig would be cancelled due to the state the singer was in but he must have a second wind or sumert cos he feekin rocked the Topper that nite..Class Punk Band...are they still around..Uk Subs that is.....Here are another load of bands we saw @ The topper.

Police

Uk Subs

Adam Ant

Rutts

Skids

TouRists...ie Annie LeNNox....She had the shortist mini on i have ever seen!!!and she revealed all :D great voice

Angelic Uppstarts...What a band....Plenty of Protest music to be had....Remember Who Killed Little Towers...Great Stuff :thumbsup:

and many many more.

I must give my appols to the Forum for bringing Punk Music to a thread,I do realise that Soul is the requirement,but my youth was taken over by music in all forms and can confirm that my first love for Music is SOUL..then the wife..Phew got that one out of the way :D

Social source share

best artist EVER at the Topper, imho, Raymond Froggatt !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

did it have half a car in when it changed to Woodys?

seem to remember vaguely something like;

first met Eric Phillips there, used to mend my jukebox.

steve

Social source share

May not have mattered to you Steve but to us Eastwood "Red Dogs" it did :D

Woody............seriously it was a lad called Woody also a lad from Eastwood dj'ed there, a small guy who did Ilsun co-op

Social source share

always used to call in the fountain on sat,after sams niter fri nite ( sheffield ),to get some kind of pick me up.watch the mighty reds then head off to wigan.come back to notts on sunday if palis all dayer on,or cleethorpes if it was'nt. can anyone remeber scotty, or phil iliffe ? phil used to work in jeffs in broadmarsh.

Social source share

always used to call in the fountain on sat,after sams niter fri nite ( sheffield ),to get some kind of pick me up.watch the mighty reds then head off to wigan.come back to notts on sunday if palis all dayer on,or cleethorpes if it was'nt. can anyone remeber scotty, or phil iliffe ? phil used to work in jeffs in broadmarsh.

I knew Phil Iliffe very well (Sadly heard he'd died a few years ago) Remember him working at Canning Circus and then Broad Marsh Jeffs. Remember his brother Neil? First time I heard 'compared to what' (Mr Floods Party) was at Neils. Their dad was a barber and lived at Wollaton as I remember. Can't remember the name of Phils mate who was a real laugh - worked at some place where they packed food for on board meals (Planes that is)

Social source share

Seems this has moved into a thread about Notts Soul pubs. Another two for the spring chickens (well early 40s) is the King John near Broadmarsh. Used to meet up with the Notts lot here in the 80 for the barton bus to Fleet and Oddfellows nighters. More of a Mod pub but always a good place to start the caper with the sadly missed top lad Shippo.

Another, but not strictly a soul pub but our meeting place before going to Shotts allnighters was the Miltons head in Vic Centre, in the main because its round the corner from Dave Taylor's love pad and he coudnt be arsed to walk too far for a lift on Dean's punctual bus :D

Social source share

Anybody remember my old soul mates from the Nott'm area from whence we travelled to many a soul do. Including Leeds, Stoke, Hanley, Wigan, Sale, Cleethorpes, Whitchurch, Manchester, Sheffield, Bolton, Palais (Nott'm)

Wolverhampton. Ilkeston and Coalville and Blackpool

Myself Chris Cooper, Tim Mayfield, Gary Mckusker, Neil & Phil Illiffe, (already mentioned) Chris Mayon, Steve Rooney, Stan Unwin, Trev Woolley, Gary Fitz, Levy (Gary Leverton) and Crossy, (John Cross) Sharon Wilson (now the Missus), Moira Pennycook, Cheryl ? (can't remember her surname) Janet Ratcliffe, to name just a few.

Edited by bridget
Social source share

Anybody remember my old soul mates from the Nott'm area from whence we travelled to many a soul do. Including Leeds, Stoke, Hanley, Wigan, Sale, Cleethorpes, Whitchurch, Manchester, Sheffield, Bolton, Palais (Nott'm)

Myself Chris Cooper, Tim Mayfield, Gary Mckusker, Neil & Phil Illiffe, (already mentioned) Chris Mayon, Steve Rooney, Stan Unwin, Trev Woolley, Gary Fitz, Levy (Gary Leverton) and Crossy, (John Cross) Sharon Wilson (now the Missus), Moira Pennycook, Cheryl ? (can't remember her surname) Janet Ratcliffe, to name just a few.

Stan Unwin? father of Joe 90? into soulie 'ode ,went to Wigannieolenightermodes?

Social source share

Bridget would that be Janet from Eastwood , I know Gary M, Neil + Phil. Do you know Scott(with only one eye) , Pablo , and Colin Rollie (one of the best dancers I've seen ever)

Social source share

Bridget would that be Janet from Eastwood , I know Gary M, Neil + Phil. Do you know Scott(with only one eye) , Pablo , and Colin Rollie (one of the best dancers I've seen ever)

Janet was from Eastwood married a guy called Charlie. Can anyone remember Jayne Torvill (Ice skater) turning up at The Brit with her skates (No:Not on her feet) after she had been training down at the old ice stadium?

Social source share

Guest vinylmaniac

Yep . Same as you said Graham loads of northern tunes on the juke box.Full of folk they used to call townies.On Bridlesmith gate wasnt it.Ta Ray

Social source share

Any one Remember the great big policeman ,always in or around the city center, tiny tim or summat they called him ,used to clip you round the ear if you stepped out of line , and the police box (Tardis ) on the corner

Bazza

Edited by bazza
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!