Notts Days Gone By Etc Was: Soul Cafe Nottingham

Any one Remember the great big policeman ,always in or around the city ,center tiny tim or summat they called him ,used to clip you round the ear if you stepped out of line , and the police box (Tardis ) on the corner

Bazza

handlebar tache? looked like he should be on the trail of Jack the Ripper?

Used to patrol the City Ground on match days,,Kev.

Social source share

• Replies 66
  • Views 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

• 3 weeks later...

Ahh big Stu Morris now yah talking used to knock around with him in the 60t's Bazza ,him and Yan, big Stu saved my bacon one all dayer at the Dungeon, some blokes trying to knock hell out of me, but Stu came to my rescue, last I heard of him he went over to Spain for awhile then heard he had some health problems, good bloke lived in Carlton area.

What did you think about Saturday night Bazza?

Barry

used to go to stu and his good lady wife jane's , soul nights ,at peggers.sundays .great couple,i won a halloween fancy dress comp there,only when they were to announce winner,i had nipped to earlhowe across the way,missed out on £25 prize.jane had tried her best to delay annoucing winner,but unfortunatley could not wait for my return.last i heard he was quite ill.good spirited couple.

Social source share

• 5 months later...

Hi there its sad to hear of stu morris's poor health. Ive known stu from the 60s. Had some great times together,worked with him @ Gedling pit in the 80s.helped him out with a few sounds when he was djaying @ the co-op on Mapperly top.I to am suffering from poor health.Angina & high blood preasure witch caused me to finish work about 5 years ago,must be the pit?.My regards to you & your wife Stu Your old mate Freddie Fowler.

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
Guest markmtfc

Seems this has moved into a thread about Notts Soul pubs. Another two for the spring chickens (well early 40s) is the King John near Broadmarsh. Used to meet up with the Notts lot here in the 80 for the barton bus to Fleet and Oddfellows nighters. More of a Mod pub but always a good place to start the caper with the sadly missed top lad Shippo.

Another, but not strictly a soul pub but our meeting place before going to Shotts allnighters was the Miltons head in Vic Centre, in the main because its round the corner from Dave Taylor's love pad and he coudnt be arsed to walk too far for a lift on Dean's punctual bus whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest markmtfc

Hi byrney,

What about the Thirland, think thats what it was called, got dragged in here by a certain Mr Shipstone around 93-94, very spit and sawdust, outside of Notts, sunday nite at the happy hippo, in Ripley, bit of mod, scooterist type nite similar to the King John, and also the Old Eight Bells in Mansfield, on a Wednesdays, similar sort of nite, used to get very lively.

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Hi byrney,

What about the Thirland, think thats what it was called, got dragged in here by a certain Mr Shipstone around 93-94, very spit and sawdust, outside of Notts, sunday nite at the happy hippo, in Ripley, bit of mod, scooterist type nite similar to the King John, and also the Old Eight Bells in Mansfield, on a Wednesdays, similar sort of nite, used to get very lively.

Hi Mark. I'll PM you with my new phone number; I'm now a sheep shag%er living in South Derby's. I know the Thirland used to do nights upstairs as did a pub around the corner Sunday nights early 90s (now a goth pub) mainly bog standard oldies. Didnt do the Thirland as around 94 I needed a break from the scene for a few years, still not sure I'm actually back on it to be honest or actually intend to be with some of the comical events that pass for the scene now days, just not for me kiddah.

Know Lowey used to run VFM nights at the Hippo but not Northern as he hates it with a passion.

Btw is that a picture of you at Shanes doo? You're uglier than I remember ohmy.giflaugh.gif Lets have you down to the next Lifeline.

Social source share

Hi byrney,

was it called the Thirland Hotel....or Thirland Arms...anyway used go there in the early 70's..dont remember much about tho'...but then again it was about 35 years ago ohmy.gif

Bazza

Social source share

Guest markmtfc

Hi Mark. I'll PM you with my new phone number; I'm now a sheep shag%er living in South Derby's. I know the Thirland used to do nights upstairs as did a pub around the corner Sunday nights early 90s (now a goth pub) mainly bog standard oldies. Didnt do the Thirland as around 94 I needed a break from the scene for a few years, still not sure I'm actually back on it to be honest or actually intend to be with some of the comical events that pass for the scene now days, just not for me kiddah.

Know Lowey used to run VFM nights at the Hippo but not Northern as he hates it with a passion.

Btw is that a picture of you at Shanes doo? You're uglier than I remember :wave::unsure: Lets have you down to the next Lifeline.

Social source share

Guest markmtfc

Hi Byrney,

So your a sheep shagger now :wave: , mind u lets be honest the state of nottinghamshire football, is enough to make you jump ship. Yes the pics of me from the All Dayer at sheff, aint it wonderfull what time does to you.

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Hi Byrney,

So your a sheep shagger now :thumbup: , mind u lets be honest the state of nottinghamshire football, is enough to make you jump ship. Yes the pics of me from the All Dayer at sheff, aint it wonderfull what time does to you.

Don't blame time, its your genes :unsure: Only kidding mucker, your purdey :thumbup:

PM me re Lifeline

Byrney

Social source share

Guest markmtfc

Where in south derbys are you living in Byrne,? have u managed to contact little lynne yet,? Karen Gibbons was asking about her couple of weeks ago, and wanted to know if I had a number for her.

Are you going to enter the international dancing competion at Blackpool this year?

Its a bit like the US, where they have the play offs for the world championship in baseball

:huh: See ya soon

The ugly one.

Social source share

Guest GazArcher

Hi byrney,

YES THE THURLAND IS STILL THERE AND NOT CHANGED MUCH! BEING ONE OF THE TOWN LADS IN THE 70's / 80's AND A FULLY PAID UP "RANDLE VANDLE"......(REMEMBER THE MAD SQUAD) USED TO FREQUENT IT REGULAR. ITS JUST DOWN FROM ANOTHER TOWN LADS HAUNT THE BODEGA.

A GOOD PUB IN THE MID 70's WAS THE LION. THIS WAS A SPIT AND SAWDUST PUB WITH A JUKE BOX FULL OF NORTHERN, TAMLA, AND SKA. JUST UP FROM THERE WAS A CLUB CALLED COLEMANS WHICH IF I RECALL HAD THE BAR DOWN STAIRS AND A HUGH DANCE FLOOR UPSTAIRS. THINK IT IS NOW SOME SORT OF DISCOUNT BLING PLACE.

THE FOUNTAIN WITH LARRY THE LANDLORD WAS THE IN PUB OR THOUGH AFTER A SERIOUS SCUFFLE ONE NIGHT AND BEING BARRED FOR A WEEK WE STARTED TO FREQUENT THE NELSON AT THE TOP OF HOCKLEY.

ALSO USED TO GO TO THE DANCING SLIPPER AND ONCE TOOK A GUY WHO DJ's TODAY, MAINLY MODERN, ON THE BACK OF MY SCOOT, I WOUNDER IF HE CAN REMEMBER.......EH MICK

MEMORIES....WHERE WOULD WE BE WITHOUT THEM?

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest markmtfc

Christ, The Dancing Slipper, first met colin shipstone there, eons ago, the guy who djed looked like something out of saturday night fever, including a massive gold medallion, and door mat chest,so funny. Used to go here on my scoot, along with steve turner from manfield, little lynne from brinsley, and a guy called colin, cant remeber his surname, think he was from kirkby, used to drive a blue lammy chopper, (Blue Max), he had a hatred of 70s soul, once turned up at his house, and he was shooting pellets through a load of 70,s 45,s, he had mistakenly bought from the states. Good old days.

Social source share

• 12 years later...

Knew Phil and his Bro Neil very well, we were good mates. Horrified to hear he is gone. I joined the Army in 1976 and lost touch with him.  These guys whose names appeared in a previous comment, I knew them all...Tim Mayfield, Gary Mckusker, Neil & Phil (RIP) Illiffe, ) Chris Mahon, Steve Rooney, Stan Unwin, Trev Woolley, Gary Fitz, Levy  and Crossy. I wonder where you all are now?  Those wonderful days live now...only in an old mans memories...  Time has passed me by...

Social source share

I walked past the King John today which is being redeveloped along with the whole Broadmarsh area. The door was open as the workers had lunch and it is exactly the same inside still. Took me back!

I remember the Milton's Head at Victoria Centre front - that became popular to go to as a less Mod revival pub, especially Saturday afternoon early 80s before we went off somewhere.

I live not far from Dancing Slipper which is now an English and Maths training centre.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!