JMAuction - 23/09/2020 - Results

Zanetti

i think i have asked the same question before, but i am no longer sure and can't find the thread.
Therefore I have to ask it again:
All the records that JM auctions week after week; are they from his private stock and/or does he supplement the majority with some that some people want to sell through him? Can someone please help me out?

Social source share

33 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

Many great 45s. A nice balanced auction. Never heard of "Creations" before - but when I saw the tendency at discogs ... all clear.

This is one hell of a tune and from what I know has just more than doubled in price (which is clearly the JM effect here)..

4 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

i think i have asked the same question before, but i am no longer sure and can't find the thread.
Therefore I have to ask it again:
All the records that JM auctions week after week; are they from his private stock and/or does he supplement the majority with some that some people want to sell through him? Can someone please help me out?

Reading his descriptions here and there brought me to the conclusion that the items for auction are at least to a certain extent not his..

Social source share

1 hour ago, Midnight Drifter said:

Reading his descriptions here and there brought me to the conclusion that the items for auction are at least to a certain extent not his..

So a large part (?) of the 45s are offered for auction by private persons who want to sell their records through JM?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Zanetti said:

So a large part (?) of the 45s are offered for auction by private persons who want to sell their records through JM?

The records on the auction are other people's / The auction gets a commision - 20% I believe (20% of that 20% would be vat)

I expect John has also auctioned some of his own / stock.

Len :thumbsup:

Social source share

2 hours ago, Len said:

The records on the auction are other people's / The auction gets a commision - 20% I believe (20% of that 20% would be vat)

I expect John has also auctioned some of his own / stock.

Len :thumbsup:

Len, I think you’ve nailed it, to answer Zanetti’s question. At Christmas time though, the Manship Mints hoarded over the year tend to dominate. Only John himself can really answer the question posed - I would like to see a YouTube clip covering the topic as plenty of his video clips are well worth watching.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

13 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Who pays these prices 

Lots of people if my experience of ebay over the last two years is anything to go buy. Finances dictate I buy at the bottom bottom end of the spectrum, rarely pay over £25, plenty of great records around if you take the time to search them out. I can understand to some extent people getting carried away with rarer and more expensive records but when it happens lower down the scale with pretty common records it baffles me. My rule of thumb is check going rates on Popsike and Discogs which I've come to realise isn't gospel but a very useful guide,  set the price you're prepared to pay and wait.

The number of times records go for sometimes double what they could be bought elsewhere and often in better condition amazes me, there is no reason with the internet other than laziness to not be aware of the price for which records could be bought.

Sorry to wander off topic I don't know about others but I'm finding ebay a less pleasurable hunting  experience with lookalike reissues, dodgy descriptions, boots, the recent proliferation of lookalike carvers with obviously bullshit descriptions "from my own collection, plays even better than it looks" I should hope so it's brand new, trying to filter out these kind of things I'm finding nigh impossible. With sellers auctioning readily available  issues of labels like Outta Sight and Kent rather than selling at "buy it now" 

I'll hold my hand up my knowledge of boots etc is not the best, I can spot the obvious ones and I'm getting a better feel for when I think something doesn't look quite right but the number of times after putting "original" in a search it's not until you read the description the seller tells you it's a 70's reissue, I've even seen boots described as "original second issue", more time wasted, I could go on 😴

Apologies again for going off topic ,anyone got a fool proof search description to syphon out the crap?

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

14 hours ago, Dobber said:

2000 quid for the creations 45,you got be having a laugh! Just from a DJing point of view I bet that clears the place let alone the floor! 

honest to god the money that is thrown at some of this shit beggars belief!

The Creations never cleared the floor for me its a outstanding piece of Male Vocal Harmony I know everyone has their own opinions but to say the Creations is Shit really is Crap 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

The Creations  is genuinely rare I expected the price in that region . I also thought the Masqueraders would of hit double that to be honest so perhaps someone got a bargain ? I know it’s a record that many got back in the day but it’s definitely stood the test of time and you rarely get La Beat items up for sale  these days ? 
Gladys yes loads about for £100  agree on the LP been the better option . 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

5 hours ago, Twoshoes said:

Lots of people if my experience of ebay over the last two years is anything to go buy. Finances dictate I buy at the bottom bottom end of the spectrum, rarely pay over £25, plenty of great records around if you take the time to search them out. I can understand to some extent people getting carried away with rarer and more expensive records but when it happens lower down the scale with pretty common records it baffles me. My rule of thumb is check going rates on Popsike and Discogs which I've come to realise isn't gospel but a very useful guide,  set the price you're prepared to pay and wait.

The number of times records go for sometimes double what they could be bought elsewhere and often in better condition amazes me, there is no reason with the internet other than laziness to not be aware of the price for which records could be bought.

Sorry to wander off topic I don't know about others but I'm finding ebay a less pleasurable hunting  experience with lookalike reissues, dodgy descriptions, boots, the recent proliferation of lookalike carvers with obviously bullshit descriptions "from my own collection, plays even better than it looks" I should hope so it's brand new, trying to filter out these kind of things I'm finding nigh impossible. With sellers auctioning readily available  issues of labels like Outta Sight and Kent rather than selling at "buy it now" 

I'll hold my hand up my knowledge of boots etc is not the best, I can spot the obvious ones and I'm getting a better feel for when I think something doesn't look quite right but the number of times after putting "original" in a search it's not until you read the description the seller tells you it's a 70's reissue, I've even seen boots described as "original second issue", more time wasted, I could go on 😴

Apologies again for going off topic ,anyone got a fool proof search description to syphon out the crap?

A bit off topic but from your post are you just looking at UK eBay ?  You do go on US eBay which doesn't have all the dodgy stuff you mention ?

If you have a limited budget then postage from US to here is a slight drawback.

Even on US eBay auctions though people seem to pay ridiculous amounts for 45s and albums you can get cheaper elsewhere, and even on eBay itself, if you just look. Recently noticed Metros album finishing at $49 in VG+ condition from a regular well-known seller [whose stuff IMO is mainly flea market material]. I got the same album on same night in better condition at auction for $15.50.

And as regards buying crap condition 45s for stupid money

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Northern-Soul-JOCK-MITCHELL-Not-A-Chance-In-A-Million-I-Got-To-Know-IMPACT/324298089124?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Edited by Modernsoulsucks
  • Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

56 minutes ago, Modernsoulsucks said:

you just looking at UK eBay ?

Yes I only look on UK eBay, obviously I look at sales on here and other well known sites but I'd have to say the only other ebay I've looked at was Belgium as I had a few popcorn wants. I have bought a few things from Europe but at the level I'm currently buying postage from the US wouldn't make much sense though I might take a closer look, Ummm Jock Mitchell, that doesn't make any sense at all.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Twoshoes said:

Yes I only look on UK eBay, obviously I look at sales on here and other well known sites but I'd have to say the only other ebay I've looked at was Belgium as I had a few popcorn wants. I have bought a few things from Europe but at the level I'm currently buying postage from the US wouldn't make much sense though I might take a closer look, Ummm Jock Mitchell, that doesn't make any sense at all.

If you can afford to put a bundle of a few 45s together from a seller its worth looking at ebay.com

i always found on uk site that you would find the dregs or have to pay far more for the same record.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

11 hours ago, Twoshoes said:

I agree.  The UK Ebay record section is so boring!!  The same overpriced records that stay on week after week, month after month.

Hardly any of them sell, because a lot of them are poor condition, and very much over priced. 

It's about time Ebay had a rethink to sort this out. 

Edited by Halogen
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Hi

i tried to sell a m- creations on here less than 8 months ago

top offer i got was £1000 so i traded for a top want of mine

although its a good record its not £2000 worth of record and one of those records you either love or hate

personally i got bored of it and was more than happy with the trade i ended up with

more money than sense comes to mind

ATB

Floyd

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!