Ester Byrde v Rita Wright "Touch Me Take Me"

Cover-up

I always wondered what the deal with Rita Wright on Jet was - some people have stated it's Syreeta, other people debate which is better between hers and Ester Byrde's, Rita Wright is a cover version etc. But listening to them back to back - they're EXACTLY the same vocal aren't they? The backing track is identical too, with just subtle differences in the mix. 

So, why was "Touch me Take Me" released on a major label three years later? Was the Ester Byrde track just dumped as a filler on the flip of Rita Wright? Are Rita Wright and Ester Byrde the same person? Am I the only person remotely interested that Esther Byrde sang backing vocals on Orange Juice's debut album? 

Ester Byrde "Touch Me Take Me" (Survival) 1975

Rita Wright "Touch Me Take Me" (Jet) 1978

Social source share

Rita Wright was a U.K. singer, and they’re completely different vocalists, just the same backing track, personally I always preferred Rita’s version. Never cottoned onto the OJ connection with Esther!

cheers Sutty

Edited by Sutty
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Sutty said:

Rita Wright was a U.K. singer, and they’re completely different vocalists

Am I losing it - to my ears the vocal takes are identical, the mix on the Rita Wright single is crisper with the vocals slightly clearer. But if you listen to specific parts of both songs, the vocal phrasing is exactly the same... 🤔

Social source share

Sounds like a different backing track and vocal to me. Both very similar but different recordings.

I've got an old Black Music with a little article on Esther Byrde. Think she was a singer / actress in a West End musical around the time this came out (or something like that).

Social source share

16 hours ago, Joesoap said:

Sounds like a different backing track and vocal to me. Both very similar but different recordings.

To me the backing tracks sound the same, just mixed differently (there's no echo on the guitar stabs on Rita Wright) but the vocals sound identical - from 1:55 onwards to high note at 2:12 every inflection sounds identical - I can't hear how it could be two different vocalists singing the exact same phrasing...

Social source share

Could be same track mixed differently - they'd already recycled it once. 

But it's definitely two different singers. You can hear that from the first couple of lines. Different timbre - Ester has a huskier undertone, Rita more 'breathy'. 

Perhaps the second one used the first one as a 'guide vocal'? They did it quickly for the b-side and just got her to copy the earlier vocal to fit the pre-existing backing?

Or maybe they were disappointed the Ester Byrde didn't break through and wanted another shot with it and just did it the same? It's an excellent record after all.,,,

Edited by Joesoap
Social source share

• 2 years later...

@Cover-up

I've always been interested in this...for many a year.

I can add (what might turn out to be more confusion) to this;

Remembering that some of the players in this include Steve Royal, Jet label, Survival Label.

There was a newspaper 'snippet' from March 1978 that says "Love is all you need" Jet UP 36382 is a rather breathy message from Rita Wright on her debut single this week". Rita who is 21, (note: this would mean she was born in 1957has worked in several London shows inc Hair, Jesus Christ Superstar, and a starring role in The Black Mikado.

There is an accompanying Photo to the 'snippet' that has a striking resemblance (braided hair, etc) to Syreeta. According to most sources Syreeta was born in 1946. 

Interstingly though, the cast of The Black Mikado included Patti Boulaye (under the name Patricia Ebigwei) as Yum-Yum. She also appeared in Hair and Jesus Christ Superstar. And made an appearance on New Faces, 1978. Patricia Ebigwei is the artist on Survival SUR -4 'The Moon & I' producer Steve Royal. Wiki has her down as born in 1954. And again, a striking resemblance to the accompanying Photo in the 'snippet'. Maybe she could also be the vocal on Intimate Strangers on Alaska 105, BUT it could be any female connected to John Shroeder's Alaska label ( e.g Marie Toland aka Tina Tott...another New Faces contestant, Juy 1975).

Then we have Esther Byrd (aka Anastasia Rodriguez). As Esther Byrd she appeared with Ray Charles & His Orch + Raelettes at The Odeon, Birmingham on Oct 11th 1978. As Esther Byrd she appeared in Shylock as the character Portia in 1981 at Haymarket Theatre, Leicester and as Anastasia Rodriguez appeared in Shylock as the character Portia in1982 at Library Theatre, Manchester, You can find recordings of 4 songs from the Shylock productions at Zforzando (label) ZF001 (Discogs).

Interestingly again...Her West End credits include playing Katisha in The Black Mikado at the Cambridge Theatre and Jesus Christ Superstar in London & Germany.

On Steve Royal - best left to his words 'I have been part of many companies with other directors and i accept my share of the responsibility over failures'. - e.g. Wham & Adam Ant fan clubs, records not released, etc.

So...is the Rita Wright in the newspaper 'snippet' Pat Boulaye aka Patricia Ebigwei? 

And how come we have Rita Wright, Pattie Boulaye and Esther Byrd aka Anastasia Rodreguez as having appeared in The Black Mikado, Jesus Christ Superstar, coincidence?

Edited by Kenb
clarity
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!