Richard Selwood - Gloucester

Julianb

You wouldn´t believe the half of it!

To be honest Gloucestershire was a hotbed of "Northern" at one time you could go to a club/Pub/disco every single night of the week and hear the current indemand sounds not pressings! originals.

Also every generation had a host of real charachters,don´t need to mention names but always had close contact with the midland guys and especially Stoke,people who in those days used to travel down midweek to the "Waxacine disco"

Northern soul is the popular phrase but Midland soul could hold its own for sure!

Steve

ps."lads"? i am probably the youngest and will be 52! in March

By the way is that my old mate Pete Lawson in your picture?

yer right there steve great times in gloucester its self remember the midland + royal ,bristol hotel and not forgetting maxies ,now wasnt that the longest running venue in glos ? and characters like mark anderson paul + muff riach to name a few .

like yourself im 52 this year where all them years gone m8?

Social source share

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 58
  • Views 13.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest Gordon

I was discussing english collectors yesterday with alan Pollard and I mentioned the above guy and alan didn't know of him.

I seem to remember he was from the Gloucester or Cheltenham area and collected in the late 60s'early 70s ( used to see him at the Torch etc). Never bought an import just english and he did sales lists.

Does anyone else remember him, or is he still around?

Julian

Hi Julian

Just crusin the blog and Richards name jumped out at me

I used to by records off him circa 1970/71. I can always recall his lists - immaculate hand writing

His address was Hare Lane (1A) Gloucester. Never met the bloke or spoke to him but I felt he was like a mate as he always made a comment with the records I bought from him. Happy days, regards

Gordon

Warrington

Social source share

• 4 years later...

Guest soulmusicforever

Regret to say that Froggy basically died of neglect under one of the arches of Westgate Bridge in Gloucester in the early eighties I would say... He had a bad car accident in 1971 after falling asleep at the wheel on the M5 after an allnighter.Docker was'nt with him that weekend.I don't think he dj'd again after that, just dealing in records from then on.In early 1972 Froggy,myself and another mate Nick Pritchard hitched our way to Spain (stopping in Paris with his brother Podge) where we spent that summer... He spent most of the summer shagging German birds... One I remember called Petra was about 6' 2" and could have been Miss World.

On returning home he carried on selling records through a dodgy mate (a grammar school teacher as well) who had a record stall on Rupert Street market in Soho.. I think a girl from Cheltenham called Frances O'Farrell worked on the stall. He took several trips to America from 1973 onwards buying and identifying new sounds,making big money...In 1974 he was my daughters godfather.

His final trip (literally) to the States in approx' 1976 ended disastrously when he had to be flown home by the British government from one of those countries at the top of South America near the Isthmus.. He said that he had been "poisoned" but in fact some vicious bastard had slipped a very strong drug into his food which had effectively burnt out braincells.. He was never the same again and could'nt stand being indoors eventually becoming a street dweller... I don't think he was 40 when he died.

Docker on the other hand I'm sure is still with us,he must be about 64 now!

Social source share

• 2 months later...
Guest wax machine

Hi Guys - Richard Selwood here again - looking for anyone who can remember David Williams who worked for Selecta-Disc Nottingham? I think he originally came from Birmingham - please get in touch if you have any idea if he is still with us and if

so maybe a contact number or address.  Same goes for Nigel Stone from Gloucester.

Thanks 

Richard

Social source share

• 6 months later...

Hi Richard,

Just noticed your post asking about Dave Williams.  Better late than never!  I'm still very much in touch with Dave and fondly remember our meetings/discussions with you!   I'm happy to pass on Dave's contact details if you contact me.  It would be great to be in touch with you again!

All the best,

Carl

Social source share

• 11 months later...
Guest wax machine

Dear Carl,         Very pleased to hear you are in touch with Dave Williams, please feel free to hand him my contact details, he can also E Mail me at

jolsonresearch@btinternet.com       

Thanks Carl you're a star,

Richard

Social source share

You're quite right, Steve - I had a sudden recollection, on the way into work this morning, that 'Tricky Dicky' was actually Richard Scanes - who I also used to get record lists off back in the late 60s, but who was originally based somewhere like Barking, Upminster or somewhere like that on the fringes of Essex.

Sorry to mislead, and also to cast possible doubts on Mr. Selwood's hetrosexual nature yes.gif

TONE

Richard Scanes - used to have a shop in Mile End….got loads of great records out of there South Camp, Goldwax, UK Action etc. when he was selling up prior to his moving to Soho. Was there a connection with Terecords who used to import singles? Also Wil Collins & Willpower two copies were in that shop. I remember a right freezing cold dump, an overtly "camp" sales assistant, but box loads of good 7s.  

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!