Articles: Willie Weems - His Story

Munchkin

• Replies 20
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Excellent,really interesting article,thank you..As a young man  way back when I  listened to and enjoyed the Relic Doo-Wop LP 'Golden Groups -Beltone Records' and the ballad 'Lovers Reunion' by the Dontells ,I never realised that there had been such a long journey before and after it for Willie and the group (little seems to have been known back then about them  by the guys at Relic,going by the sleeve notes)  Amazingly,I have had the 60's UK Fontana 45' of The Dontells 'In You Heart' all these years too, but never realised it was the same group until now ! (same spelling of the groups' name but such different  musical styles-and as Beltone was a NYC label, I assumed they were 2 different groups)

One small point-the Chicago Johnny Moore did'nt record as Johnny Darrow-that was Johnny Moore of The Drifters,who is pictured in the article

• Up vote 1
Social source share

16 hours ago, Michael V said:

Excellent,really interesting article,thank you..As a young man  way back when I  listened to and enjoyed the Relic Doo-Wop LP 'Golden Groups -Beltone Records' and the ballad 'Lovers Reunion' by the Dontells ,I never realised that there had been such a long journey before and after it for Willie and the group (little seems to have been known back then about them  by the guys at Relic,going by the sleeve notes)  Amazingly,I have had the 60's UK Fontana 45' of The Dontells 'In You Heart' all these years too, but never realised it was the same group until now ! (same spelling of the groups' name but such different  musical styles-and as Beltone was a NYC label, I assumed they were 2 different groups)

One small point-the Chicago Johnny Moore didn't record as Johnny Darrow-that was Johnny Moore of The Drifters,who is pictured in the article

Not only did New York's Beltone Records pick up Chicago's Dontels, but they also picked up The Opals' (Okeh female group) first record, "Two-Sided Love", a Maurice Rogers production. 

Social source share

18 hours ago, Robbk said:

Not only did New York's Beltone Records pick up Chicago's Dontels, but they also picked up The Opals' (Okeh female group) first record, "Two-Sided Love", a Maurice Rogers production. 

Thanks for that Robb-wow,I never knew the Opals recorded before their Okeh sides(which I love) .Had a listen on You Tube- very much in the Marvelettes/Orlons style so popular then (1961/2) and so different to the Okehs ,but nice !

Social source share

6 hours ago, Michael V said:

Thanks for that Robb-wow,I never knew the Opals recorded before their Okeh sides(which I love) .Had a listen on You Tube- very much in the Marvelettes/Orlons style so popular then (1961/2) and so different to the Okehs ,but nice !

I also seem to remember that New York's Beltone leased one other Chicago production during the 1962-63 period (I think it was a single artist), but I can't remember what it was, but I think it was one of the missing catalogue numbers on Global Dog's and SoulfulKindaMusic's label discographies.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 10/10/2020 at 01:51, Michael V said:

One small point-the Chicago Johnny Moore did'nt record as Johnny Darrow-that was Johnny Moore of The Drifters,who is pictured in the article

thanks for that will try to find a different photo for JM

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 1 year later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!