Articles: Willie Weems - His Story

munchkin
Followers 7

Posted
News/Article/Feature Highlight:

The story of Willie Weems ...inc The Dontells, 4 Brothers, Sam & Kitty, The Turks and more

View full article

• Up vote 4
soul source url
Social source share
  • Replies 19
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

News/Article/Feature Highlight: The story of Willie Weems ...inc The Dontells, 4 Brothers, Sam & Kitty, The Turks and more View full article

super article

via the 'contact us' feature Re: Willie Weems article - the Junior Wells release on Blue Rock by Willie was "Girl You Lit My Fire" which was on Junior's great "You're Tuff Enough" album  (credite

Posted Images

Posted

Great Read! Top Article Kev.  Well done matey.  😉

Dave 

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Great article Kev. 

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Really enjoyed reading that. Thanks very much 

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Great, well researched article ! 

"Don"t Hit On Me" did well for Sam and Kitty in Baltimore, going up to #24 on this survey -

S & K.jpg

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Well done Kev, you put a lot of time and effort in and it was worth it.

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Great article!

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Excellent,really interesting article,thank you..As a young man  way back when I  listened to and enjoyed the Relic Doo-Wop LP 'Golden Groups -Beltone Records' and the ballad 'Lovers Reunion' by the Dontells ,I never realised that there had been such a long journey before and after it for Willie and the group (little seems to have been known back then about them  by the guys at Relic,going by the sleeve notes)  Amazingly,I have had the 60's UK Fontana 45' of The Dontells 'In You Heart' all these years too, but never realised it was the same group until now ! (same spelling of the groups' name but such different  musical styles-and as Beltone was a NYC label, I assumed they were 2 different groups)

One small point-the Chicago Johnny Moore did'nt record as Johnny Darrow-that was Johnny Moore of The Drifters,who is pictured in the article

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Here's the Chicago Johnny Moore - 

CJM.jpg

Edited by The Yank
  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
16 hours ago, Michael V said:

Excellent,really interesting article,thank you..As a young man  way back when I  listened to and enjoyed the Relic Doo-Wop LP 'Golden Groups -Beltone Records' and the ballad 'Lovers Reunion' by the Dontells ,I never realised that there had been such a long journey before and after it for Willie and the group (little seems to have been known back then about them  by the guys at Relic,going by the sleeve notes)  Amazingly,I have had the 60's UK Fontana 45' of The Dontells 'In You Heart' all these years too, but never realised it was the same group until now ! (same spelling of the groups' name but such different  musical styles-and as Beltone was a NYC label, I assumed they were 2 different groups)

One small point-the Chicago Johnny Moore didn't record as Johnny Darrow-that was Johnny Moore of The Drifters,who is pictured in the article

Not only did New York's Beltone Records pick up Chicago's Dontels, but they also picked up The Opals' (Okeh female group) first record, "Two-Sided Love", a Maurice Rogers production. 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Very interesting article Kev, and joins up a number of dots for me. I appreciate the great effort clearly gone into pulling it together. Thanks for sharing. 

Edited by Windlesoul
  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Nice One Kev !!

Thanks for sharing.. a really good informative read and I learned a lot from it so many thanks for that and very much appreciated

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
18 hours ago, Robbk said:

Not only did New York's Beltone Records pick up Chicago's Dontels, but they also picked up The Opals' (Okeh female group) first record, "Two-Sided Love", a Maurice Rogers production. 

Thanks for that Robb-wow,I never knew the Opals recorded before their Okeh sides(which I love) .Had a listen on You Tube- very much in the Marvelettes/Orlons style so popular then (1961/2) and so different to the Okehs ,but nice !

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

A very enjoyable read, thankyou for your efforts.

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
6 hours ago, Michael V said:

Thanks for that Robb-wow,I never knew the Opals recorded before their Okeh sides(which I love) .Had a listen on You Tube- very much in the Marvelettes/Orlons style so popular then (1961/2) and so different to the Okehs ,but nice !

I also seem to remember that New York's Beltone leased one other Chicago production during the 1962-63 period (I think it was a single artist), but I can't remember what it was, but I think it was one of the missing catalogue numbers on Global Dog's and SoulfulKindaMusic's label discographies.

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 10/10/2020 at 01:51, Michael V said:

One small point-the Chicago Johnny Moore did'nt record as Johnny Darrow-that was Johnny Moore of The Drifters,who is pictured in the article

thanks for that will try to find a different photo for JM

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

via the 'contact us' feature

Re: Willie Weems article - the Junior Wells release on Blue Rock by Willie was "Girl You Lit My Fire" which was on Junior's great "You're Tuff Enough" album  (credited to "Weems/Daniels")

Kind regards,

Dan Nooger

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

1. News: Hermon Weems Obituary
    All About The Soul by Louise on Sun 11 Jul 2010
    • 16 / 1285
    • 25miles on 24 Aug 2010
  2. Evans Clark & Hermon Weems = Sod – I'll Never Leave You
    Record Wants by djspproductions on Mon 13 Mar 2017
    • 3 / 746
    • djspproductions on 18 Jul 2017
  3. Hermon Weems Rip
    All About The Soul by stevemochan on Mon 28 Jun 2010
    • 9 / 1628
    • 45cellar on 29 Jun 2010
  4. Evans Clark & Hermon Weems (heart, Amore, Desire #102)
    Record Wants by Premium Stuff on Sun 07 Apr 2013
    • 2 / 432
    • Premium Stuff on 26 Apr 2013
  5. Hermon Weems Feature
    All About The Soul by mike on Sat 30 Aug 2008
    • 2 / 629
    • Carl Dixon on 31 Aug 2008