JMAuction - 07/10/2020 - Results

Zanetti

Well I don't know how he does it, but nobody else could get those prices!

I love Hoagy Lands "The Next In Line",  expensive at £338?

Someone had a nice mint- Demo copy with pictures, on this sales section a couple of weeks ago for £200!     The last time I looked no one had taken it!

Edited by Halogen
Social source share

13 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

As always thanks for posting results

The Sound Masters. Lonely Lonely. Great record in my opinion  Yet i never considered its value.  Has someone got a bargain ? Has someone paid to much ? 

I was the second bidder I think that was a reasonable price to pay. Well done to the winner.

• Thanks 1
Social source share

49 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I knew I get my groove first through the bobby Patterson and think it’s a great record.  Bobby Shannon is good but is it really better ?

I prefer the original.

I prefer the Bobby Shannon version.........but not sure I prefer it enough to pay an extra £550 for it!

Social source share

9 hours ago, Dylan said:

I knew I get my groove first through the bobby Patterson and think it’s a great record.  Bobby Shannon is good but is it really better ?

I prefer the original.

Bobby Patterson's original is excellent. But if both records were on a table and I had to pick one to take home, regardless of value, it would be Bobby Shannon. 

It's just got a bit more oomph to it and stronger production!  But I do like both tunes.

Edited by Halogen
Social source share

Jason Knight £558. Is the only reason it went for double its normal price the fact that it had a solid centre and not a four pronged centre ?if so I'll never understand this collecting game/business! I've seen a few of both.

Edited by Tobytyke
Punctuation
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

On 07/10/2020 at 20:29, Winsford Soul said:

As always thanks for posting results

The Sound Masters. Lonely Lonely. Great record in my opinion  Yet i never considered its value.  Has someone got a bargain ? Has someone paid to much ? 

Hi Steve, hope you're well my man, the way I look at it now is that "the going rate, book price etc" is done, and has been for a long time, a records worth, and we are talking now about 50/60 year old pieces, is what someone is prepared to pay, the days of pulling stuff out of sales boxes is over imho 

Kev 

• Thanks 1
Social source share

58 minutes ago, Kev Cane said:

Hi Steve, hope you're well my man, the way I look at it now is that "the going rate, book price etc" is done, and has been for a long time, a records worth, and we are talking now about 50/60 year old pieces, is what someone is prepared to pay, the days of pulling stuff out of sales boxes is over imho 

Kev 

Thanks Kev. Yeah all good mate. Trust its the same for you.  Think your onto something regarding the book price.  Most of the people who produce the quides don't sell records these days they auction them. Only they can explain why.  Is it 20 % commission driving the auction.?  20 % buyer and seller  fees  ? . Is it what the sellers are asking for ? Is it the auctioneers can't be bothered seeing what the records are worth in the real soul world ie the likes of on here . 

The 20 % is just a example.  I don't know what they charge.  Before anyone says anything about it.  

Ste

Social source share

11 hours ago, Kev Cane said:

the way I look at it now is that "the going rate, book price etc" is done, and has been for a long time,

I think you are right though I don't understand the logic in some sales I've seen. Since retirement I've spent a fair bit of time trolling through Ebay and other sales sites cross referencing prices on Discogs and Musicstack etc. I started a few months ago watching prices of records I own and have recently bought.

A few months ago I bought Jay and the Americans Living Above Your Head, near mint in company sleeve, in the last month there have been several on the Ebay, one went for £28, a us demo went for I think it was just shy of £30 then low and behold last week one went for £125, reading the description I couldn't see any difference from mine which I think I paid £23 for. Looking on Discogs several for sale the dearest £49 near mint. Is it laziness, auction fever or just plain too much money.  

I think you are also right when you say 

11 hours ago, Kev Cane said:

is what someone is prepared to pay

I knew I was paying over the odds slightly for a record but there was just the one on left Discogs after seeing the others go. Fear of missing out gripped me so I bought it, as these things go a  few came up on ebay in the following weeks selling for around what I paid and now there are two on discogs for half what I paid. Still can't get my head around the £125 for Jay and The Americans though.

Edited by Twoshoes
Social source share

10 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Thanks Kev. Yeah all good mate. Trust its the same for you.  Think your onto something regarding the book price.  Most of the people who produce the quides don't sell records these days they auction them. Only they can explain why.  Is it 20 % commission driving the auction.?  20 % buyer and seller  fees  ? . Is it what the sellers are asking for ? Is it the auctioneers can't be bothered seeing what the records are worth in the real soul world ie the likes of on here . 

The 20 % is just a example.  I don't know what they charge.  Before anyone says anything about it.  

Ste

Its purely and simply business/greed call it what you want.  Posting something online is an easier/safer/cheaper/more lucrative way of achieving maximum profit.  Why travel around lugging boxes, or producing lists which fail to reach the full potential market, even before the current issues.  I haven't seriously collected, gone to fairs etc, in eons, however out of curiosity I do look at online sales.  When the seller is so well known they gain maximum exposure, hence silly money in many/most cases.  

If I was still collecting I would say it takes the joy out of looking for bargains.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

I like to look at the monthly eBay summary on here showing highest priced sales.  I bet I am not alone in being shocked at some of the prices.

every month pretty much without fail records I’ve baught cheap or sensibly are selling for very high prices.

when I stopped buying I had half an idea I would start again when prices tumbled and assemble another small collection.  That’s looking quite unlikely now.

CD’s, online mixes and radio shows for me now.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!