Jump to content

How far could Northern Soul be stretched?


Recommended Posts

Posted

I love this

But its not a million miles away from this;

Any other "similar" sounds out there where one is northern and the other ain't?

Ed

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
  • Replies 24
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've always though these two had a lot in common    

Northern Soul -   Not Northern Soul -  (😃 )   

No Yes Ed

Posted Images

Posted

Lots of tracks that are both Northern Soul and/or Middle of the Road or early adult/soft Rock of course.

Also the Northern Soul/Funk aspect is even more obvious.

Plus of course the Northern Soul / garage/psych Rock songs.

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Don't think the Moody Blues version was ever played - the first release as Ellen & The Shandells on Lasalle was played.

How about this - heavy(ish) rock from Wigan - dodgy as f**k, but it's got something (at least I liked it enough to buy it) - isn't that Emmanuel Lasky in the middle - ? : ) :
 

 

Edited by Davenpete
  • Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
2 hours ago, Davenpete said:

the first release as Ellen & The Shandells on Lasalle was played.

<Off topic> The first release is actually Dry Well. There was no group called Ellen and the Shandells, so a member of Dry Well told me a few years back. Likely the Shandells release was unauthorised. </Off topic>

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I've heard it said that it was not legit - however it's certainly a great rarer and was originally played as Ellen and the Shandells - maybe a US boot or a dodgy label owner? It is SLIGHTLY different from memory - though that may be in the mix rather than the recording.  Dx

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 hour ago, Davenpete said:

I've heard it said that it was not legit - however it's certainly a great rarer and was originally played as Ellen and the Shandells - maybe a US boot or a dodgy label owner? It is SLIGHTLY different from memory - though that may be in the mix rather than the recording.  Dx

Both sound exactly the same to these ears. Dry Well band member didn't know anything about the Ellen/Shandells release and told me that a) Ellen (lead singer) was never in the Shandells, and b) the Shandells had split before Dry Well was formed, and three of the Shandells were in Dry Well.

Indeed, as an unauthorised release, it's either down to label owner or band member with access to the master tape, or it's a boot. Given its rarity, it must have been a very small run. Maybe cut for a local audience and riding on the rising popularity of the Moody Blues original.

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

When this got played one night at Yate in 79 it blew away my theory that if its been played at a nighter its Northern Soul if it hasn't then it isnt !

 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Pete always remembered with disgust 'Baby Love' being played on the first night at Wigan (along with the third rate disco lights).
Dx

Edited by Davenpete
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Both sound exactly the same to these ears. Dry Well band member didn't know anything about the Ellen/Shandells release and told me that a) Ellen (lead singer) was never in the Shandells, and b) the Shandells had split before Dry Well was formed, and three of the Shandells were in Dry Well.

Indeed, as an unauthorised release, it's either down to label owner or band member with access to the master tape, or it's a boot. Given its rarity, it must have been a very small run. Maybe cut for a local audience and riding on the rising popularity of the Moody Blues original.

Was anything else released on this LaSalle label? (obviously different from the Detroit label). It's a long time since I owned it so can't remember if there were any details on the label.
Dx

Edited by Davenpete
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Davenpete said:

Was anything else released on this LaSalle label? (obviously different from the Detroit label). It's a long time since I owned it so can't remember if there were any details on the label.
Dx

A quick search shows Lauren (Dry Well) and La Salle (Ellen/Shandels) were owned by the same person - Carl Edelson - and that the Shandels had a couple of releases on the latter. Possibly then, Edelson had a small run of the Dry Well track cut and changed the name of the group without telling the band's members and thus avoiding any due payments. Perhaps someone cottoned on to the ruse and the 45 was withdrawn, which might explain its scarceness.

Interestingly, release numbers on La Salle prior to the Gypsy re-release are sequential, whereas this doesn't follow suit. 

Anyway, we digress from the original topic!

Edited by Amsterdam Russ
klaritee
  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
4 hours ago, Merve said:

When this got played one night at Yate in 79 it blew away my theory that if its been played at a nighter its Northern Soul if it hasn't then it isnt !

 

Pretty sure this got played at a few soul nights on release.

Ed

 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Everytime I hear True Image  -

'' I,m not over you '' that bag of crap by Gonzales - '' I haven't stopped dancing yet ''comes into my head.

  • Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
10 minutes ago, Shinehead said:

Everytime I hear True Image  -

'' I,m not over you '' that bag of crap by Gonzales - '' I haven't stopped dancing yet ''comes into my head.

As an aside, it was Gonzales who backed Gloria Jones when she toured the nighters back in 76

  • Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
3 minutes ago, Merve said:

As an aside, it was Gonzales who backed Gloria Jones when she toured the nighters back in 76

And she wrote the bag of crap .

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Log in to Soul Source

Jump right back in!

Log back in to Soul Source now!
  1. Could We Get A Northern Tune To No 1 ?
    All About The Soul by Bogue on Sat 06 Jan 2007
    • 74 / 3049
    • WPaulVanDyk on 10 Jan 2007
  2. Could You Survive With Out Northern Soul Motown Etc ?
    All About The Soul by on Fri 05 Jun 2009
    • 36 / 1187
    • WPaulVanDyk on 11 Jun 2009
  3. Nolan Porter - If I Could Only Be Sure Vg+ Northern Soul 45 - $100 Us
    Record Sales by BritMusicSoulFan on Sat 20 Aug 2011
    • 1 / 592
    • BritMusicSoulFan on 20 Aug 2011
  4. Popcorn Northern - Johnny Hunter - If The Things In My Room Could Talk
    Record Sales by DooWopShopper on Wed 08 Feb 2012
    • 2 / 647
    • DooWopShopper on 09 Feb 2012
  5. Northern Popcorn Johnny Hunter If The Things In My Room Could Talk
    Sale Websites by DooWopShopper on Tue 06 Mar 2012
    • 2 / 458
    • DooWopShopper on 07 Mar 2012
  6. Popcorn Northern Johnny Hunter - "if The Things In My Room Could Talk"
    Record Sales by DooWopShopper on Fri 22 Jun 2012
    • 1 / 359
    • DooWopShopper on 22 Jun 2012
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.