Unplayed/Underplayed Jackie Wilson tracks

Yep, Learned About Life is great tune. And for all the anoraks, his version of Open The Door To Your Heart DOES exist on a 45, ON A SUPER RARE AUSSIE CORAL EP BY JACKIE !!!

Everyone should check out Jackie's early 70s LPs, there's more fabulous dancers waiting to be played on the rare soul scene.

Speaking of which, while most would say the very essence of the northern and rare soul scene is the 45 rpm, BUT I would like to hear everyone's view that with just about every soul 45 worth discovering having now been discovered, that one of the few great remaining untapped sources of FANTASTIC Northern tunes are LP tracks! Does anyone envisage or accept that one of the more prominent Northern DJ's at a major allnighter in the future might actually play 2/3 of his set as LP tracks ? Would that be conceding that we've really run out of new 45 discoveries? Would the average Northern fan even accept a majority of tunes played at major events being LP tracks ?? Lets have your comments !!!!

Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I personally dont have a problem with tracks being played from LPs so long as they are cred LPs (not compilations as such). I play a few tracks on my set for example The Tempests - Someday, stuff from Betty Wright LP (I have seen for sale for up to £50, got mine off ebay for $10!), I've also just got Little Willie John on a King LP containing the biggie 'I'm Shakin'. All good stuff, all originals so whats the problem? DJ's have been playin LP tracks since I went to Wigan, Searling was spinning Harley Hatchers 'Soul Hustler' from an Lp covered up as Al De Lory 'Discotec Alibi' (needs reactivating!!), another that springs to mind is 'Backwards Upside Down' by the Outsiders (like the Tempests 'Someday' never seen it on 45 - please correct me if I am wrong that I dont think they exist on 45. And by the looks of it, it looks like the only way I will hear that J Wilson - Open The Dorr..' track is by getting the LP (unless someone has the Aussie EP going cheap!!

Grant

Social source share

Jsut running out with the kids on the school run but thought I'd post my brief thoughts on the subject now.....Fingers plays a majority of LP tracks when he DJ's at the Plinston, both lp only and 45 releases on lp, and has a huge collection of outstanding toons that deserve to be heard elsewhere. He has a Jap LP with a stunning unissued version of Sam Dees biggie on it which begs to be heard and always gets a great response from the dancefloor. As a collector of lp's only he has introduced me to many great soul tracks and keeps alive the mantra of ensuring that quality soul should be heard, played and giving it's time in the light.

I think that Richard Searling summed it up best by saying we are a Rare Soul scene, that is rare in quality, not just quantity and I firmly belive that it doesn't matter if it's a 45, an acetate, an lp or even a CD only track, it is the soul that is the key. Look at the lp only tracks that have been spun over the years from the likes of The Outsiders; Dynatones; Les McCann; Betty Wright; Millie Jackson; Williams & Watson...the list is endless.

In conclusion let's not go down the 'should we or shouldn't we spin lp's?' route but unite uner the banner of 'Soul - by whatever means neccessary!'

And now, off to the playground!!!!!

TheBigO

* One final thought re: has the 45 well dried up? Not if Manship's rareest of the rare listing (with soundbytes) is anything to go by! Quality toons galore that I've not heard of, let alone seen, and that's in over 25 years of hitting the floor!!!!

Social source share

Recently i heard a french only release on a brunswick 45 called A lovely way to die...i know paul mcnamara spins this and i want a copy badly. It got a spin a the CSC on the Sidney barnes night and the floor was packed (thanks paul). If this record ever gets major spins it will be a monster, uptemto with great vocal & horns pounding in the background.....what more do you need eh!. Lp tracks hmmm...at the CSC we played mary saxton on lp,jnr walker on Tamla lp,Roy Hamilton on Rca Lp,wilson pickett on double L lp,Judy Freeman unissued Lp acetate/test pressing,clyde mc phatter on mgm lp, Hesitations on kapp lp (soul superman), Frede Hughes wand lp,Freddy Butler kapp lp,Metros Rca LP,Ann sexton sound stage 7 lp,Don gardner & baby washington Lp plus loads of motown/tamla......if more Dj's looked into and played lp only tracks then we may not suffer the same sounds being played by 95% of the Northern soul DJ's.

greg

Social source share

Absolutely, as long as its been played in its original format, if its soulful spin it LP's have been spun for years, as for tunes drying up, no way, you may have to dig a bit deeper 7 sometimes shell out a bit more cash, but the tunes are still there, get digging!!!

Cheers Russ V

Social source share

While we are on the subject of underplayed Jackie Wilson.. I picked up A blinder..."SOMEBODY UP THERE LIKES YOU" Mexican Coral EP.. Not issued in the Uk or in the USA on 45.. only on an Album. Dig it out if you have it.. Been released on a Kent LP and CD..

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!