Wannabe DJs and first soul do after covid....

Posted

No it’s not another “here’s some tunes “ video. Obviously when this situation changes (how why and when not up for discussion) the first soul doo that we get along to is going to be special (or else!). Now,most people are going to have records in mind that they HAVE to hear along with DJs having records you are GOING to hear. So let’s have a topic for wannabe DJs. Before I continue , OVO and must be owned by you ( no debate and no “if I had all the money in the world records “) . As most wannabes (not a diss as I admit to membership of this group)have to rely on the kindness of others to allow them to play. To make it interesting and try to avoid endless repetition of very well known records there will be rules.

1. As the best time you can hope for is ,I reckon ,twenty minutes (I know “you’ll be feckin lucky !”) Limit will be four records you personally own.

2. If you have heard any of the tunes on these records at a soul event of any kind,you cannot use  them.

No rules about modern/oldies but OVO and must be owned by you.

I know double siders would be a good shout and hopefully get some fresh input and something to read on net after being fed up with the news and disappointed by the same old same old on our teams fan websites.

Best Regards

Geo

soul source url
Social source share
  • Replies 43
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Obviously all known or I wouldn't have been able to download from YT but never heard in a club. I did once double-deck with Skippy. He was a wallaby dj.  A bounder and a liar. Said he'd gone

I picked this up for loose change back in the 70's, never heard it played out, over the years thought about giving it a spin myself but could never see it going down too well, always loved it, seems t

I hadn't Rick, to be honest it kind of makes it a difficult one to answer as some smart arse will come along and say they have heard it played out somewhere. But I am disqualified anyway as I am

Posted

Get the ball rolling

To be your lover Jimmy Dotson

Any kind of love Johnny Wyatt

Gone gone gone Jimmy Dotson 

Hang up the phone Johnny Wyatt

Western movies Olympics

Throwaway song Del satins

Well.              Olympics

Relief.           Del satins

Any other suggestions? There should be a few ?

Geo

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Charles Drain - Is this really love  UK Rca

Azie Mortimer - Little miss everything  U.S Rca

Bill pinkney - Don't call me  U.S Fontana

Dixie Cups - What kind of fool - U.K HMV

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Cool tunes amitwirly next time I see that Dixie cups tune in oxfam I won’t be leaving it ...

still trying to work out how to put YouTube on posts,the curse of hand me down phones...

geo

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
22 hours ago, amitwiirly said:

Charles Drain - Is this really love  UK Rca

Azie Mortimer - Little miss everything  U.S Rca

Bill pinkney - Don't call me  U.S Fontana

Dixie Cups - What kind of fool - U.K HMV

21 hours ago, geobuch335 said:

Cool tunes amitwirly next time I see that Dixie cups tune in oxfam I won’t be leaving it ...

still trying to work out how to put YouTube on posts,the curse of hand me down phones...

geo

Hi Geobuch just worked it out for myself - right click on the youtube vid click "copy video URL" go to quote on soul source and click "Paste" hope this helps,Jimmy

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

have got a big fat help section on here ( see extra) link at top 👍

this is in there... 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Big thanks to amitwiirly and mike for tech help.And tomangoes for providing better tunes than his namesake Coventry club did in 81-82. Honest I was only there for a late drink.....

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 12/10/2020 at 10:30, geobuch335 said:

If you have heard any of the tunes on these records at a soul event of any kind,you cannot use  them.

maybe some of you missed this bit, just a thought....🙂

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I hadn't Rick, to be honest it kind of makes it a difficult one to answer as some smart arse will come along and say they have heard it played out somewhere.

But I am disqualified anyway as I am not a wannabe DJ 😉

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

If YOU have heard this at a soul event YOU have attended It is disqualified ( non smartass inclusion,going for honesty and some underplayed tunes for interest not conflict)

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

OK thanks for the clarification ... I have never heard any of these played out at any soul event, except when I have played them

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I had a Carol Anderson....superb.

Got a few spins at cleggy but thats 40 years ago now!

Heres one I've got and I've never personally heard out.

Ed

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Carol Anderson  tune

got a couple of sandpebbles tunes and I had to play one a few times for my wife as she didn’t believe that voice belonged to a woman....

henry lumpkin got to force myself not too look it up as I’m on a buying embargo supported by grandweans on holiday , can’t even moan at them as they are my last hope to drive my weans bonkers....

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
2 hours ago, geobuch335 said:

Carol Anderson  tune

got a couple of sandpebbles tunes and I had to play one a few times for my wife as she didn’t believe that voice belonged to a woman....

henry lumpkin got to force myself not too look it up as I’m on a buying embargo supported by grandweans on holiday , can’t even moan at them as they are my last hope to drive my weans bonkers....

Well......you could always get the classmates LP for about a tenner and also have this gem amongst others..another never heard out top tune.

Ed

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Obviously all known or I wouldn't have been able to download from YT but never heard in a club.

I did once double-deck with Skippy.

He was a wallaby dj.  A bounder and a liar. Said he'd gone to school on another planet. He was a Mars pupial. Didn't like him at first but he kangaroo on me.

Edited by Modernsoulsucks
  • Up vote 6
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

When you did the dd With skippy did his features not keep changing a little bit after each record.....

never guess your title listening to those tunes though...Fred Hughes tune different from ones I have and heard but really enjoyed it. These replies reminding me there are so many tunes I’ve yet to hear. My wish list on is going to end up larger than my collection soon. 
geo

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 hour ago, geobuch335 said:

When you did the dd With skippy did his features not keep changing a little bit after each record.....

never guess your title listening to those tunes though...Fred Hughes tune different from ones I have and heard but really enjoyed it. These replies reminding me there are so many tunes I’ve yet to hear. My wish list on is going to end up larger than my collection soon. 
geo

Hi just to let you know  , Fred Hughes and Freddie Hughes are 2 different artists, you may know in that case apologies in advance 

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Didn’t know and also didn’t read properly so not only wrong but twice wrong ,that’s the joys of soul source, people sharing things due to a shared interest 

geo

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, geobuch335 said:

geo

He was very annoying and kept wittering on about a bus load of orphans who had crashed into a ravine. As if that's my problem !

There's also a nice version of Casanova II on the Hughes album.

Edited by Modernsoulsucks
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
2 hours ago, Modernsoulsucks said:

He was very annoying and kept wittering on about a bus load of orphans who had crashed into a ravine. As if that's my problem !

There's also a nice version of Casanova II on the Hughes album.

I saw him sing this live at la2004

Awesome.

I think he was half of the Casanova 2....

Ed

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Ed,I just remembered former taggart a tort telling me when he was making skippy that the roo wranglers used to decide who was for for filming by playing a tune for them and if they moved about a bit they got to go filming, never mentioned what happened to the others though,funnily enough his antiques shop had a copy available when I was there.....

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Cheers Ed 

I had to get a different one as too many many bourbons and not listening to records sometimes leads to opening a pack of records and realising the banging records you bought where the titles are the only thing different about them. Cue “ no they were under a fiver and their fortunes on manship dearest” Got a good couple last week where only the intros gospelly (I

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Oh....I loves the Gospels I doos.

Never heard this out. Originally a mecca spin I think. Cost me a quid. Probably only a tenner now.

Ed

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Discogs has the green one for £40-£65 but the white demo is a lot cheaper so your £1 can be considered an investment. I keep telling my wife this but choose not to share the ones going down in price. As iv never sold a record in my life I don’t think she’s Convinced

Got this early in lock down for £5 then realised the bounce was on the duck side with the correct run out according to discogs so guess what was on the bounce side........

Yip, Same old thing........

still waiting for replies to my e-mails.....

Pity as I got a few bargains at the start of lockdown from him and he has a few ones I’ve already got at really good prices just now,but that along with sending an issue when the pic was an original....

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

A few old topics on here in recent years for quality original vinyl under £20 might be worth researching.

I sold my main collection of about 1000 records 15 years ago to a dj mate for a song really. I just wanted some of the lesser known stuff to get played out!

Nice to see some former quid records getting mainstream spins now like this.

Ed

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

looking at how this topic has developed,  am gonna merge this with the other audio topic in a  bit

just to keep things keen and lean 👍

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Iv been haunting the under 20,wheel and torch lists discovering bargains and their origins since I joined. Ronnie McCain is good value at £1. One of the DJs at the pineapple club we mostly go to ,has held onto all the records he bought ,but never mentions their current values. Still  hoping one day to wax lyrical about a tune without him knowing and owning.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

I picked this up for loose change back in the 70's, never heard it played out, over the years thought about giving it a spin myself but could never see it going down too well, always loved it, seems to be getting pricy now. Would love to hear it loud through a decent system.

Edited by Martyn Pitt
  • Up vote 3
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Listened to it yesterday after reading the informative notes and I would say play out ,as my granny used to say “if they don’t like it ,feck them !”

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

At the very least a great double sider, the intro to the perfections before the backing singers kick in is familiar in a “where the dickens have I heard that ?! “ sort of way....

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, geobuch335 said:

At the very least a great double sider, the intro to the perfections before the backing singers kick in is familiar in a “where the dickens have I heard that ?! “ sort of way....

I bought it blind 20 years ago on a friends recommendation when looking through some boxes at a nighter.

Edited by Martyn Pitt
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Most of the ones I buy blind spend a couple of years in the side board on the upstairs hall, just in case.....

some have had a reprieve most dont... saying that it’s at least six month in the oxfam poly bag..

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

ok hitting performance issues here - slow loading of pages

ask all posting to have a read and follow

also please bear in mid that these forums/topics are setup for discussion on tracks not to simply mirror youtube

flooding the forums with videos and no comments aint really best use of the sites features

less does works best with these types of topics

thanks

mike

Edited by Mike
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Bearing in mind mikes comments.

heres a mix of underplayed one and unreleased ones that managed to be heard by many prior to release..

previously unreleased growing from Kent’s discoveries to a great source for wannabes that try to avoid just imitation...

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 16/10/2020 at 15:42, Martyn Pitt said:

I picked this up for loose change back in the 70's, never heard it played out, over the years thought about giving it a spin myself but could never see it going down too well, always loved it, seems to be getting pricy now. Would love to hear it loud through a decent system.

Ive played it a few times in the south and also heard someone else play it over recent years and always get a good reaction so I would say def give it a try (well when you can!).

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments/views now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Log back in to Soul Source now!
  1. Hyperions Why You Wannabe Treat
    Look At Your Box by Julianb on Fri 10 Jan 2020