Government Retraining Question Results

Posted

Out of interest, I've just completed the Government retrain questionnaire. Really, I wanted to see if it suggested that I was suited for the job I've done for 40 years!!

There have been various press/radio articles taking the mick so I thought.....lets see

The end result was that I was recommended to do what I've always done!!

Have a go and post up your suggestions.. It took about 5 mins to do.

https://beta.nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/

( @Mike please delete if too contentious)

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
  • Replies 16
  • Views 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It would be interesting to re-do the questions and see the results generated if you answered with your "nighter brain" in action!

Mine suggested kitchen fitter, which is ok as I am a joiner, other suggestions were, astronomer and soldier (at nearly 65 I don't think so)

Top tip for me appeared to be some job in manufacturing. It took me three years to make a dovetail joint in woodwork which I never finished and I set fire to part of the metalwork room when makin

Posted
6 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Got there in the end . I ended up with construction engineering craftsperson.  Which is basically what I do.  

Thanks for the reply. Interesting that on Radio 2 (JV) everyone seemed to be recommended to be a BOXER! (sport not the dog I assume).

I wonder if the answers you give are shaped by the job you've done for years and years.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
24 minutes ago, Bo Diddley said:

Thanks for the reply. Interesting that on Radio 2 (JV) everyone seemed to be recommended to be a BOXER! (sport not the dog I assume).

I wonder if the answers you give are shaped by the job you've done for years and years.

Very likely that the answers are based on my job and training via apprenticeship and further courses that I have been doing over the years. Because as a apprentice you are taught to do things in a way that makes you stop, think about what you are about to do,  not like in my nighter world where I'm so impulsive and spur of the moment type. 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 minute ago, Winsford Soul said:

Very likely that the answers are based on my job and training via apprenticeship and further courses that I have been doing over the years. Because as a apprentice you are taught to do things in a way that makes you stop, think about what you are about to do,  not like in my nighter world where I'm so impulsive and spur of the moment type. 

It would be interesting to re-do the questions and see the results generated if you answered with your "nighter brain" in action!

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
11 minutes ago, Bo Diddley said:

Countryside ranger , meteorologist, environmentalist. came out with my impulsive nighter person head on. Which is what I actually prefer 🤔 Is it to old at 61 to change a life times working habits 

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

I did the career assessment a few days ago and it suggested that I have a future ahead of me in the following jobs:

Actor, betting shop cashier, bingo caller, boxer, cricketer, diver, footballer, jockey, martial arts instructor, racehorse trainer, sports commentator, soldier and stunt man. :no:

At the same time though, it also suggested I could have a career as a newspaper or magazine editor, commissioning editor, copy editor or sub-editor. That's spot on as I am indeed an editor.

Mind you, various chums on Facebook also answered the questionnaire and had pretty much the same options suggested to them. Seems to be bit of a one-size-fits-all approach!

Edited by Amsterdam Russ
  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Mine suggested kitchen fitter, which is ok as I am a joiner, other suggestions were, astronomer and soldier (at nearly 65 I don't think so)

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Top tip for me appeared to be some job in manufacturing.

It took me three years to make a dovetail joint in woodwork which I never finished and I set fire to part of the metalwork room when making some hinges. Playing a blowtorch thing onto hinges which I didn't notice was rebounding onto some oiled rags which set fire to the pegboard round the bench.

I dropped the subjects in third year which came as a great relief to metalwork teacher who told me he was considering retiring if I'd have carried on.

[EDIT] Forgot to mention making a poker and left it in forge too long so most of it fell off !

Edited by Modernsoulsucks
  • Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I got travel guide, leather technologist and astronomer! I din't bother going any further as there seemed to be dozens of potential jobs just waiting for me to apply.

Very few people are going to find this much help i'd have thought.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

A right mish mash for me. All over the place. 

And nothing even remotely close to what I actually do. And have done for 35 years. 

The problem with these is that you fill them in yourself. It would be better to get a work colleague to give the answers for you. 

I bet some of the 'are you great working in a team' type questions might get very different responses then. 🤔

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 12/10/2020 at 15:37, Winsford Soul said:

Countryside ranger , meteorologist, environmentalist. came out with my impulsive nighter person head on. Which is what I actually prefer 🤔 Is it to old at 61 to change a life times working habits 

I like the sound of Countryside Ranger. If it's too late to change job's it might be something to consider when in retirement as a part-time job/volunteer.

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
14 minutes ago, Bo Diddley said:

I like the sound of Countryside Ranger. If it's too late to change job's it might be something to consider when in retirement as a part-time job/volunteer.

I’d love work in that area but given the national trust are making redundancies I would image opportunities are scarce.

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
7 hours ago, Geeselad said:

I've done these useless career programs with kids for 20 years. They have evolved very little in that time.

1 hour ago, Fish Fingers said:

A right mish mash for me. All over the place. 

And nothing even remotely close to what I actually do. And have done for 35 years. 

The problem with these is that you fill them in yourself. It would be better to get a work colleague to give the answers for you. 

I bet some of the 'are you great working in a team' type questions might get very different responses then. 🤔

I had to use similar "psychometric" tests in the mid 90's when recruiting. The main reason was to satisfy the Human Resources dept. It was useful when the results agreed with what you wanted.

I think the idea behind this is to come up with suggestions you may not have thought about if your looking for a new direction.

As it doesn't include questions on personal stuff, there may be a few unsuitable suggestions - someone with a BMI of 35 may get Jockey, someone age 65 may be recommended Stuntman or Soldier or @Modernsoulsucks may be recommended anything with flames!

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Log back in to Soul Source now!
  1. Question Question Question
    All About The Soul by mischief on Mon 25 Oct 2004