JMAuction - 14/10/2020 - Results

Zanetti

16 minutes ago, Dobber said:

My eyes can’t stand to see such idiocy anymore..nearly a grand for joe Walker! 700 quid for Mel Williams! This is painful! 

Certainly wouldn't get these prices through the "scene" Lee lad, but can't fault anyone for auctioning through Mr Manship as he gets the prices....20% commission, it  still makes you a profit..and we have all sold summat  through him for this reason...hope your well fella...kind regards...Rob

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Usual thanks for posting. Is someone desperately seeking white demos? Why is Mel Williams in demand and at this sky-high price? The Set Sale items went for Set Sale prices, or less if commission is deducted. The Auction items went for Auction values reflecting scarcity, obscurity and condition...as good auction items should be really. Ernie Washington went for less than it usually goes for so someone had a bargain.

Compared to the auctions of other major British dealers, this is THE one, the best one, the most riveting. John deserves credit for using the system he does, penning reams of prose and continually turning up some of the best records around.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Baz Atkinson said:

Joe Walker nearly a grand wow, perhaps a bidding war on a record you could regularly get for £150 max ? 

Yep I got this and Charles Carlson at same time.  Charles was priced a little higher at the time.

I guess they are all in collections now I’ll see how long it is before I see another just out of curiosity...

• Up vote 1
Social source share

23 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Compared to the auctions of other major British dealers, this is THE one, the best one, the most riveting. John deserves credit for using the system he does, penning reams of prose and continually turning up some of the best records around.

That's you off Anglo American's Christmas card list!!!😁

Edited by Halogen
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

On 14/10/2020 at 21:42, Dylan said:

Yep I got this and Charles Carlson at same time.  Charles was priced a little higher at the time.

I guess they are all in collections now I’ll see how long it is before I see another just out of curiosity...

That's a key point, nearly everything is in collections, not much turning up on hunting trips to the States anymore, if you really want summat, you got to persuade the current owner to part, the "going rate" is finished, and has been for ages, as is "books for" . It's worth whatever someone is prepared to go to, forget "the scene" I reckon most people who pay these prices are collectors who don't go anywhere or give a toss, same with the Sweet Soul collecting, through the roof, no signs of tailing off either 

Kev

• Up vote 2
Social source share

so joe walker sells for nearly a grand and mel williams £700...meanwhile the wane harrel acetate fetches just over a grand-that looks like a steal!!!

Hope it does not disappear into a collection not to be heard out-would sound brilliant in a club (if we ever get out again!!)

Edited by Angus
error
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

48 minutes ago, Angus said:

so joe walker sells for nearly a grand and mel williams £700...meanwhile the wane harrel acetate fetches just over a grand-that looks like a steal!!!

Hope it does not disappear into a collection not to be heard out-would sound brilliant in a club (if we ever get out again!!)

The wane harrel is on youtube with a different image so its either been edited or its not a one off as stated in the auction ?

Social source share

The two Wane/Wayne Harrel vids on YouTube appear to have photoshopped labels, and the upload by Francosoul is very much of inferior sound quality.

In both instances it's possible the sound files came from a charity CD Pete Smith put together a couple of years back. Thread here: 

<Added>Looks like I could be mistaken as one of the uploads dates to 2015. The other - the one with the better sound quality - was uploaded in September 2017, so perhaps that came from the CD. Either way, both labels are surely photoshopped.

Edited by Amsterdam Russ
typo
Social source share

5 hours ago, Angus said:

Hi Angus. I agree, a great sound and would be a joy to hear loud in a club. This will only happen if a DJ spends more than necessary - DJ’s going in big partly explains the inflationary spiral we constantly criticise. The collectors earn the pearls they chase and deservedly enjoy them at home - this is becoming harder and harder in the face of tough competition. I would rather see a good sound go into a collection (preferably mine) rather than have a UK dealer snag it to sell on at an exorbitant mark-up. When normality returns, it might be nice to see more collectors with top collections invited to guest DJ at the bigger venues - that way, we can hear the one-off rarities and unissued acetates rather than the same old tunes... Earl Grant, Jimmy Jones, Charades, Lonnie Lester, yawn...

• Up vote 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Hi Angus. I agree, a great sound and would be a joy to hear loud in a club. This will only happen if a DJ spends more than necessary - DJ’s going in big partly explains the inflationary spiral we constantly criticise. The collectors earn the pearls they chase and deservedly enjoy them at home - this is becoming harder and harder in the face of tough competition. I would rather see a good sound go into a collection (preferably mine) rather than have a UK dealer snag it to sell on at an exorbitant mark-up. When normality returns, it might be nice to see more collectors with top collections invited to guest DJ at the bigger venues - that way, we can hear the one-off rarities and unissued acetates rather than the same old tunes... Earl Grant, Jimmy Jones, Charades, Lonnie Lester, yawn...

Totally agree. Would love to hear Wane Harrell out

20 hours ago, Dave Pinch said:

i care for it joel..both sides are wonderful and rarity wise it should be 500 quid imo

👍👍👍👍

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!