specials "I can't find another" on Sansu?

Ljblanken

On 15/10/2020 at 18:48, Robbk said:

Maybe Merrill was McGregor alone, or him together with a financial backer, who withdrew out of the deal, and McGregor then brought in Jump Jackson instead, and they formed Heno Music for their new partnership?

Merrill Pub is in fact Merrill Finch, the father of John Finch and the husband of Mrs Johnnie Finch.

Satch records was at their family home in West Chesterfield @ 9147 S. Michigan Ave.

The Specials were 'The Specials of Chicago'.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

10 hours ago, Kenb said:

Merrill Pub is in fact Merrill Finch, the father of John Finch and the husband of Mrs Johnnie Finch.

Satch records was at their family home in West Chesterfield @ 9147 S. Michigan Ave.

The Specials were 'The Specials of Chicago'.

So, then maybe Merrill Finch, alone, financed Satch Records at the start, and Heno Music represents a partnership between Finch and Jump Jackson, who was brought in because he had connections in the business that could help market Satch 212, and Billy McGregor was just an employee, as songwriter, arranger, and co-producer, or maybe he was a 3rd partner in Heno Music, as there were projects that he and Jackson worked on that wouldn't seem to have The Specials and Finch involved, unless the latter was a financier.

Edited by Robbk
Social source share

The advert suggests that Scepter-Wand would handle the distribution for the minor label. Earl Harrison was a common Garrison release, but extremely rare on Wand with hardly any copies showing up. As this was the first Wand tie-up, it was evidently a flop. I have never seen a Honey Bees on Wand - this is a truly great sound, and rarely surfaces anyway, so I very much doubt it exists on Wand. QED.

Sure, there are some real rarities on Wand but show us the scans. Dave has, and uses, Stak-O-Wax ringbinders as one of his information sources - is Honey and the Bees listed in there?

Social source share

11 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

The advert suggests that Scepter-Wand would handle the distribution for the minor label. Earl Harrison was a common Garrison release, but extremely rare on Wand with hardly any copies showing up. As this was the first Wand tie-up, it was evidently a flop. I have never seen a Honey Bees on Wand - this is a truly great sound, and rarely surfaces anyway, so I very much doubt it exists on Wand. QED.

Sure, there are some real rarities on Wand but show us the scans. Dave has, and uses, Stak-O-Wax ringbinders as one of his information sources - is Honey and the Bees listed in there?

Scepter picked up Jack Montgomery's "Dearly Beloved", and that sold some.  So, why would Wand not even start pressing The Honeybees just because "Humphrey Stomp" failed?  I'm sure I saw The Honeybees on Wand back in the later mid '60s. at least a photo of it. 

Social source share

10 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Found this with same Distribution (I haven't seen many)

Teques.jpg

United Distributors (owned by The Leaner Brothers) was a big distributor in Chicago.  They distributed a lot of indie Chicago labels, as well as some national majors.

Edited by Robbk
Social source share

On 19/10/2020 at 17:16, Robbk said:

So, then maybe Merrill Finch, alone, financed Satch Records at the start, and Heno Music represents a partnership between Finch and Jump Jackson, who was brought in because he had connections in the business that could help market Satch 212, and Billy McGregor was just an employee, as songwriter, arranger, and co-producer, or maybe he was a 3rd partner in Heno Music, as there were projects that he and Jackson worked on that wouldn't seem to have The Specials and Finch involved, unless the latter was a financier.

I think this is correct Robb. I can't find a 'partnership' with Billy.

Jump was at 5257 La Salle St really early 50's thru to 1967 with a variety of companies including La Salle Recording Co, R & B Attractions & Orchestra Services (booking agent). Those same companies plus Heno moved to 8959 Oglesby Ave. Both addresses and companies are tied in with Jump and Oscar Jackson-only.

Social source share

4 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Thanks, used a different name then (again)on some releases, (more work to do)

Conservatives.jpg

Are you saying that The Conservatives were the same group as The Specials?  I don't see any evidence of that on this record.  I never heard they were the same group.  I see that Johnny Jones, who worked previously with Curtis Mayfield, wrote this song.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Robbk said:

Are you saying that The Conservatives were the same group as The Specials?  I don't see any evidence of that on this record.  I never heard they were the same group.  I see that Johnny Jones, who worked previously with Curtis Mayfield, wrote this song.

"Distribution" sir the company used different names 😀

• Up vote 2
Social source share

52 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Thanks, used a different name then (again)on some releases, (more work to do)

Conservatives.jpg

"United Record Distributed" must be a printer error.  I doubt that they wanted it printed that way, meaning "This is a record distributed by United Record Distributors". 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

9 hours ago, Kenb said:

Yes- i was just heading over to your original post to pose the same. United Record Distributors (or variants) isn't i don't believe the same as United Distributors that @The Yank posted.

Let's try this again.... The United Record  Distributors is the same company that was listed in the original 

post from 1968 and is also listed on the Conservatives 45 as "United Record Distributed" . In this ad from 1971,

the company is still at the same address and also still involves the Leaner family - 

United.jpg

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

On 20/10/2020 at 10:08, Kenb said:

I think this is correct Robb. I can't find a 'partnership' with Billy.

Jump was at 5257 La Salle St really early 50's thru to 1967 with a variety of companies including La Salle Recording Co, R & B Attractions & Orchestra Services (booking agent). Those same companies plus Heno moved to 8959 Oglesby Ave. Both addresses and companies are tied in with Jump and Oscar Jackson-only.

Wow!!!!  89th and Oglesby had to be a residential house in South Chicago, which was walking distance (a few blocks) from where I lived (at 89th and Chappel near Stony Island Park)!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

45 minutes ago, The Yank said:

Let's try this again.... The United Record  Distributors is the same company that was listed in the original 

post from 1968 and is also listed on the Conservatives 45 as "United Record Distributed" . In this ad from 1971,

the company is still at the same address and also still involves the Leaner family - 

United.jpg

I’m not disputing this. 

I’m disputing United Record Distributors is the same ( company) as United Distributors in the post you put up previously.

Manchester United FC is not the same entity as FC United of Manchester...but if you were looking through an archive 60 yrs from now you might mistakenly think they were the same.

image.png.ecb2fed6099ff618f55097341cfedd9c.png

Edited by Kenb
clarity
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Robbk said:

Wow!!!!  89th and Oglesby had to be a residential house in South Chicago, which was walking distance (a few blocks) from where I lived (at 89th and Chappel near Stony Island Park)!

1 hour ago, Kenb said:

I’m not disputing this. 

I’m disputing United Record Distributors is the same ( company) as United Distributors in the post you put up previously.

Manchester United FC is not the same entity as FC United of Manchester...but if you were looking through an archive 60 yrs from now you might mistakenly think they were the same.

image.png.ecb2fed6099ff618f55097341cfedd9c.png

55 minutes ago, The Yank said:

Okay now I see what you mean. I guess it is possible that they used the other United Record Distributors that was based in Puerto Rico ! 

Un.jpg

Why on earth did that World Wide Web get invented sooner and all this confusion could be got rid of 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 1 year later...
On 15/10/2020 at 17:49, Trev Thomas said:

does anyone know where the satch label originates from ?

I wonder (it's only a "might be") if Eric might know more having his fathers paperwork ?

On 18/10/2020 at 18:27, Robbk said:

e-Mail: sales@secretstashrecords.com

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!