buying B&S nostalgia

Kenb

I stood in front of this building for a whole 5 minutes yesterday( quite a long time when you're just stood).

Not because i wanted a bet - but because i had a Nostalgia rush. 

In 1971/2 i bought my B&S's from here. I didn't take the photo, it's off Gmaps (2019), but it still looks the same. 

There will be plenty of other Soul Source members who also bought their records and B&S here.

spin inn cross st.JPG

Social source share

Oh OK thanks.

No that interesting (but related) but I was only talking with a work colleague yesterday who says he turned up at some the B&S building (maybe the head office)  and asked if they had any back issues and he was shown a stack load so he said thanks and took then home.

PS Where is that building or are you waiting for some other to recognise.

All the best

Steve

Social source share

Just down the steps with the window on the Right - Covered With " In Demand Singles " sellotaped on 1  

I Can just Visualize The DEMO in the center - A.B.C. White Label " Looking Thru The Eyes Of Love - Earl Jackson " It Cost Me One Whole POUND !  I took it to " Up The Junction-CREW " 

And Yes That B-Side caused MEGGA Interest With Dancers And Djs Alike , One Dj came down from the dance floor above with his Copy of " A Mighty Good Way - Robert Banks " ( A New In-Demander Then ) Swoop ? , No Way was my reply .

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, earlvandykes6 said:

P.S. Was not that the same Access to GARRY'S  " Top Of The Town " Club ? 

Yup... next door through the archway (photo)I seem to remember and Up. Also Remember “black skin blue eyed boys’ the Equals banging out.

Social source share

On 17/10/2020 at 01:18, earlvandykes6 said:

Just down the steps with the window on the Right - Covered With " In Demand Singles " sellotaped on 1  

I Can just Visualize The DEMO in the center - A.B.C. White Label " Looking Thru The Eyes Of Love - Earl Jackson " It Cost Me One Whole POUND !  I took it to " Up The Junction-CREW " 

And Yes That B-Side caused MEGGA Interest With Dancers And Djs Alike , One Dj came down from the dance floor above with his Copy of " A Mighty Good Way - Robert Banks " ( A New In-Demander Then ) Swoop ? , No Way was my reply .

Are you saying that you supplied the first copy of Earl Jackson "Soul Self Satisfaction" to be played on the scene ? And so it was first played at Up The Junction ?

Social source share

When I Entered " Spin In " Records  Was Scanning The Shelves ! , Martyn Ellis Was Behind The Counter With Two Other's , I Asked what's that in the Wand cover- Chuck Jackson / Good Things ( They are all the same ! ) as he counted Six Off - I want all Six @ £1.00 each .

Leaving a Quid in my Pocket for Bus home But as I headed out -looked at the Window Display Again And Thought I walk the Seven/Eight Miles back home ! and Have that DEMO , the guy behind the counter said it belongs to Martyn ( not the Shop ! ) The window sign said £1.00 Each If Not I Will speak to the " Manager "  , Martyn then came over and said Iv'e told Richard Searling  i will save it for you - then it should not be on DISPLAY FOR SALE ??  - Get the boss was my remark .

Eventually Mr Ellis said that's a pound then , as i walked up them steps R.S. was on his way down with a couple of mates ! , One Minute later ran back up and shouted " Hang on Mate " show me the DEMO youv'e just got - can I give you £4.00 for it - " Not For Sale " Thanks .

Social source share

Some time after Martyn Ellis Was Working the Decks at the niter in Stockport ( BLAZERS ) - When I Quizzed  He Said after working as a dj in the States for a short time he had Purchased  items of interest   , That was the " Last Copy of the Five " Earl Jacksons ? That He had Up for sale .

So the Other Copies may Have Been " Played at Other Local Venues " or into collections , M.E. enquired if I still Owned the copy, I had Swopped it for " Fifteen Singles "  which included  - Jason Knight /our love is getting stronger - Albert Jones / It's gonna be( tri-city ) - Joy Lovejoy/ In orbit  - two or three on " Keymen "  & V.I.P.  They  went to " FLASH " Atkinson  Who Died when his " Disco-tron " Fell Into the Bath with Him   .

Social source share

I remember Spinn Inn very well, but not quite that well as I thought it was in the middle of a long line of shops and offices down three or four steps to the right of a basement door to a night club. It was the first call on a Saturday morning visit to Manchester record shops. It was a very small shop with not enough room for a back drop but had a great selection of records. Some of the first records I got there were UK issues that were still available from the major companies such as Tommy Neal, Bud Harper, Jackie Lee and Jerry O. Later on they had all of the first US re issues ( boots) .

I've heard about the copies of Earl Jackson sold at Spinn Inn but never had it confirmed by anyone who had actually got a copy. @earlvandykes6 did you know the record before buying it. The credits on the record look so good that even without playing it , it looked a good bet. I'd think Martyn Ellis knew it was a great dancer but maybe didn't know how rare it turned out to be and he probably only paid less than 25cents (10p) for it. He didn't sell his copies of Roy Hamilton's Cracking Up cheap as he wouldn't budge on the £5 he charged me.

A bit further along Cross Street was Global Records first Manchester location and then round the corner on John Dalton Street was Hime and Addison's, that had a basement record department. 

The link below is for a web site of UK record shops. The entry for Spinn Inn has a quote that is for a different shop but the photo just about looks  how I remember it. The bag has remarkably survived all these years.

https://www.britishrecordshoparchive.org/spin-inn-disc-centre.html

Rick

Social source share

On 30/10/2020 at 18:25, Rick Cooper said:

I remember Spinn Inn very well, but not quite that well as I thought it was in the middle of a long line of shops and offices down three or four steps to the right of a basement door to a night club. It was the first call on a Saturday morning visit to Manchester record shops. It was a very small shop with not enough room for a back drop but had a great selection of records. Some of the first records I got there were UK issues that were still available from the major companies such as Tommy Neal, Bud Harper, Jackie Lee and Jerry O. Later on they had all of the first US re issues ( boots) .

I've heard about the copies of Earl Jackson sold at Spinn Inn but never had it confirmed by anyone who had actually got a copy. @earlvandykes6 did you know the record before buying it. The credits on the record look so good that even without playing it , it looked a good bet. I'd think Martyn Ellis knew it was a great dancer but maybe didn't know how rare it turned out to be and he probably only paid less than 25cents (10p) for it. He didn't sell his copies of Roy Hamilton's Cracking Up cheap as he wouldn't budge on the £5 he charged me.

A bit further along Cross Street was Global Records first Manchester location and then round the corner on John Dalton Street was Hime and Addison's, that had a basement record department. 

The link below is for a web site of UK record shops. The entry for Spinn Inn has a quote that is for a different shop but the photo just about looks  how I remember it. The bag has remarkably survived all these years.

https://www.britishrecordshoparchive.org/spin-inn-disc-centre.html

Rick

Hi Rick , As you state the Credits Looked So Good ! , I Purchased it Unplayed .  Spent Many Hours in " Hime And Addison "  Zan was working there after he left " Ralphs Rare Records " and latter Worked Down The Escalators ( Record Shop )? , The " Spin In " was upstairs ( where the Entrance to SLATERS Menswear is Now ) . Spin In Started  Selling JAZZ FUNK  That You Could Hear In ROOM 5 ( Placemate 7 ) Whitworth St  Or Rotters - Gone Were STAX - BLUE NOTE - TWISTED WHEEL .

• Up vote 1
Social source share

5 minutes ago, earlvandykes6 said:

Hi Rick , As you state the Credits Looked So Good ! , I Purchased it Unplayed .  Spent Many Hours in " Hime And Addison "  Zan was working there after he left " Ralphs Rare Records " and latter Worked Down The Escalators ( Record Shop )? , The " Spin In " was upstairs ( where the Entrance to SLATERS Menswear is Now ) . Spin In Started  Selling JAZZ FUNK  That You Could Hear In ROOM 5 ( Placemate 7 ) Whitworth St  Or Rotters - Gone Were STAX - BLUE NOTE - TWISTED WHEEL .

Was Zan ( always thought it was short forcAlexander...but not sure) on the door at TW? Or have I mingled my memory up.

Social source share

1 minute ago, Kenb said:

Was Zan ( always thought it was short forcAlexander...but not sure) on the door at TW? Or have I mingled my memory up.

No The WHEEL Had Door men ( Black Suited & White Shirts ) Zan Was The " Sheriff " Who Often Sorted Any Problems ! , He Sold " Rarer Records " And Vitamins In LEWIS's CAFE ( Top Guy ) , i'm shure  I'd seen him Working @ " Ralphs Records " on Hillgate / Stockport - Maybe he help to set it Up ??  Synonymus with one of the Early White Label 7"  - Dynatones / Hole In The Wall  .

Social source share

5 hours ago, earlvandykes6 said:

No The WHEEL Had Door men ( Black Suited & White Shirts ) Zan Was The " Sheriff " Who Often Sorted Any Problems ! , He Sold " Rarer Records " And Vitamins In LEWIS's CAFE ( Top Guy ) , i'm shure  I'd seen him Working @ " Ralphs Records " on Hillgate / Stockport - Maybe he help to set it Up ??  Synonymus with one of the Early White Label 7"  - Dynatones / Hole In The Wall  .

As a youngster I'd heard of Zan as someone who you would try to avoid, especially if you had anything he wanted. Later on I bumped into him a few times and found him to be a bit intimidating but nothing like his reputation. I don't remember him working in Ralph's on Underbank in Stockport but he did hang around  the shop quite a lot. The guy who was usually behind the counter at Ralph's was Carl but other people helped out on a casual basis. Who was "Ralph" as I never knew anyone at the Stockport or Manchester shops called Ralph . 

More info on Ralph's here-

https://www.britishrecordshoparchive.org/ralphrsquos-records.html

Social source share

Doreen worked at Stockport shop now and again so I guessed Zan turned up there at times as they were an item at the time.

As you may be aware I used to wag it at Ralphs. Carl was the black guy ?  He used to write my notes to school.

As I was there quite a lot around 1970 I do remember Little Louis and Scotch Joe used to come around. They sold me Tymes  "Here she comes" and Gloria Jones "Finders Keepers" on UK demos for £1 each.  I'd never heard them but the guys were too big to say no to !

And I'm 99% sure I got EJ from Spin Inn. 

I must have mentioned all this to you over the years.

Edited by Modernsoulsucks
Social source share

On 01/11/2020 at 15:53, earlvandykes6 said:

Hi Dave did al birkhead get one of the Earl  Jackson’s have vague memory of him talking about it, used to knock about with al for quite a few years from 74 onwards

Social source share

8 hours ago, Mark B said:

Hi Dave did al birkhead get one of the Earl  Jackson’s have vague memory of him talking about it, used to knock about with al for quite a few years from 74 onwards

Hi Mark , Allan made me offers on that copy ? He Handed Over Twelve singles for the copy of “ Dorothy Beery on Big 3 “  one of them was “ Albert Jones - A lovely Summer “ but a Kapp DEMO this time !  Also a copy of Mongo Santamaria -  The Now Generation/Columbia .

Social source share

On 02/11/2020 at 00:42, Modernsoulsucks said:

Doreen worked at Stockport shop now and again so I guessed Zan turned up there at times as they were an item at the time.

As you may be aware I used to wag it at Ralphs. Carl was the black guy ?  He used to write my notes to school.

As I was there quite a lot around 1970 I do remember Little Louis and Scotch Joe used to come around. They sold me Tymes  "Here she comes" and Gloria Jones "Finders Keepers" on UK demos for £1 each.  I'd never heard them but the guys were too big to say no to !

And I'm 99% sure I got EJ from Spin Inn. 

I must have mentioned all this to you over the years.

Hi Rod, Recall Doreen and Howard who worked Downstairs , the STAX logo painting in Red Blue & Black ? Was  Howard’s product & the ground floor counter had a Glass covering under which were photos of the Drifters /Inva ? Along with Dave Eager at the C.I.S. Show .

Social source share

48 minutes ago, earlvandykes6 said:

Hi Rod, Recall Doreen and Howard who worked Downstairs , the STAX logo painting in Red Blue & Black ? Was  Howard’s product & the ground floor counter had a Glass covering under which were photos of the Drifters /Inva ? Along with Dave Eager at the C.I.S. Show .

Lost me there.

I was talking about Ralph's in Stockport, where I spent quite a lot of time not doing my A-levels.

I did go to Manchester Ralph's quite a bit.

Social source share

On 01/11/2020 at 16:01, Kenb said:

Zan (Jonathon Sneddon) was the manager at Ralph's when Pete & Richard worked there as Saturday boys for a while (they actually met outside Ralph's the week after the Wheel closed). Jon and Pete were great friends and he often came out to Wheel revivals, other nighters and even a weekender with us. The B&S article referencing him is DG's 1970 review of the Wheel. Dx

PS Ralph was Ralph Mendleson - obviously, being nought but a young pup of 56, a long while before my time, but I actually met him once at Droylesdon in about 1989 when he popped in briefly to see Brian Rae and he introduced me to him.

PPS Was the plain yellow label 'reissue' of the Dynatones' album track not down to a certain Mr 45?

Edited by Davenpete
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

On 06/11/2020 at 16:04, Davenpete said:

Zan (Jonathon Sneddon) was the manager at Ralph's when Pete & Richard worked there as Saturday boys for a while (they actually met outside Ralph's the week after the Wheel closed). Jon and Pete were great friends and he often came out to Wheel revivals, other nighters and even a weekender with us. The B&S article referencing him is DG's 1970 review of the Wheel. Dx

PS Ralph was Ralph Mendleson - obviously, being nought but a young pup of 56, a long while before my time, but I actually met him once at Droylesdon in about 1989 when he popped in briefly to see Brian Rae and he introduced me to him.

PPS Was the plain yellow label 'reissue' of the Dynatones' album track not down to a certain Mr 45?

Wheelie " Dave Hall " Lived in GORTON , said at the time - He had been in " Ralph's " with Zan Preparing " WHITE Label " Copies of ( Hole In The Wall / Hold On I'm Comin' ) Sticking the Titles on them ! 

IMG_1198.JPG

IMG_1200.JPG

IMG_1195.JPG

IMG_1208.JPG

Social source share

On 15/10/2020 at 13:25, Kenb said:

I stood in front of this building for a whole 5 minutes yesterday( quite a long time when you're just stood).

Not because i wanted a bet - but because i had a Nostalgia rush. 

In 1971/2 i bought my B&S's from here. I didn't take the photo, it's off Gmaps (2019), but it still looks the same. 

There will be plenty of other Soul Source members who also bought their records and B&S here.

spin inn cross st.JPG

Ok I know its a long time ago since I bought stuff in there but I thought Spin Inn was further to the left where the pavement is wider? I walk through here to work the odd time and often wonder where it was exactly? When I get near work I do the same looking for Rafters and the other clubs on Oxford Rd that are now Deli's lol

Social source share

17 hours ago, Mark B said:

Ralphs records 

image.jpeg.9868fcfae6ef91f3ce8e96f7b6d18110.jpeg

Google Image search shows these guys were a group called Phoenix City Smash. An interesting forum site gives loads of information about them and Ralph's Records

https://www.manchesterbeat.com/index.php/groups1/phoenix-city-smash

https://www.manchesterbeat.com/index.php/shops/record-shops/ralph-s-records-corporation-street-near-victoria-station

Rick

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!