Canadian Releases - Demos ??

Go to solution Solved by carl willingham,

4 hours ago, Ficklefingers said:

All these years regularly looking at records for sale, but today the question arose in my mind are there any demos of Canadian 45's ??

Looking through Canadian sales just now and not seeing one amongst 250 different releases is what has prompted my query..

Anyone ??

Is Yvonne baker on parkway a white demo ...

Social source share

6 hours ago, Petedillon said:

think I had a Curtis Mayfield Canadian demo years back. Would that have been on Sparton?

The Impressions had several early releases on Sparton.  But, I doubt that his Curtom solo releases were on Sparton.  I don't know for sure, because I moved to Chicago in 1959, and was only back in Canada for a couple months a year ever since.  And I wasn't paying attention to ANY records as late as when Curtis was having solo releases, in any case.

Social source share

28 minutes ago, Petedillon said:

I bow to your obvious deeper knowledge Robb . I am vague just recall a Sparton demo , thought it was Curtis but could easily have been the Impressions. I sold it on here but a good few years ago. 

Stay safe

Pete

The most recent I remember of Curtis Mayfield's solo records issued in Canada were issued on Curtom Records of Canada, distributed by whichever Canadian firm distributed US Buddah Records' product.  I don't remember which company that was (Quality, Sparton, Capitol, or another).  But the actual label on the record was Curtom, as I remember.  I have no idea for whom Curtis Mayfield record in USA, or what labels he appeared on after 1975 or so.  I have little knowledge of almost anything that happened in The World after 1972 or so.  I just haven't been paying attention to much of what's been going on.  From 1946-1969 or so, I was VERY aware.  🤓

Social source share

5 minutes ago, The Yank said:

You might have been thinking of something like this which looks like a demo but is the regular issue - 

CM.jpg

I knew the Canadian label was Curtom - as my post below shows (was typing that and didn't see this come up).  And I see that the distributor was Quality, which, was my first guess, in my list of possibilities). 🙂

Social source share

18 hours ago, Ficklefingers said:

All these years regularly looking at records for sale, but today the question arose in my mind are there any demos of Canadian 45's ??

Looking through Canadian sales just now and not seeing one amongst 250 different releases is what has prompted my query..

Anyone ??

As far as I remember, most of the major Canadian labels (Sparton, Quality, Regency, REO, Capitol, London, Apex, etc.) ALL had DJ issues, but, not in the kinds of large numbers you see from US labels, and often, they weren't coloured white (which might be one reason that there seems to be less as a % of total records pressed).

• Up vote 1
Social source share

23 hours ago, Ficklefingers said:

Anyone ??

Hi Johnny 

Carls been collecting Canadian stuff for years and we've watched with interest as the demand and prices have increased . The Canadian stuff is seperate to the main collection so i'll go through and let you know which demos are in there.

Maria

• Up vote 2
Social source share

26 minutes ago, carl willingham said:

Hi Johnny 

Car'ls been collecting Canadian stuff for years and we've watched with interest as the demand and prices have increased . The Canadian stuff is separate to the main collection so i'll go through and let you know which demos are in there.

Maria

Hi Maria

Thank you.. that would be interesting to see what you and Carl turn up

Trust you both well..

21 minutes ago, Dobber said:

I had a copy of tony Middleton -Paris blues-polydor Canadian,it was the usual red in colour but with a big hole,not a solid centre,but if memorie serves I’m sure it said demo on it? Will see if I have a pic somewhere!

Ooh.. Yes please !!

Social source share

• Solution
3 hours ago, Ficklefingers said:

Hi Maria

Thank you.. that would be interesting to see what you and Carl turn up

Trust you both well..

Ooh.. Yes please !!

Had a quick flick through found these so far

JOE FRAZIER - FIRST ROUND KNOCK OUT - CBC

CHRIST BARTLEY - I SEE YOUR NAME - EXTRA

THE CHARMAINES - THE ONE FOR ME - RED LEAF

NORRIS VINES AND THE LUVLINES - GIVE IN - SMILE

DONNY MANN - I'M A WEAK MAN - RCA

Re the above comment about Paris Blues we do have it on Canadian , red Polydor but nothing to denote its a demo. 

Take care

Maria

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 18/10/2020 at 11:38, Ficklefingers said:

Anyone ??

Another one Johnny

THE TAMS - SILLY LITTLE GIRL - SPARTON

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!