Am I missing something here?

• Replies 14
  • Views 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes i have to aggree with all the above as i have to admit that at the time of "Ain't No Stopping'" not all Northern Soul Club had Embraced the Playing of New Releases but Hey, Horses for Courses as t

Well if it was to boost its sales value....it bombed! Great tune though. Of the same ilk, I remember Phyllis Hymen you know how to love me, definitely made it to the playlist at Leeds Centra

True, I had also stopped going, but pretty sure I never heard about it being played anywhere, other than venues  like the Ritz (but we know that was a mixed crowd), whereas Phyllis was, not 100% sure

Posted Images

Posted

I never heard it played at Wigan, like you say 'not northern'. But in the period you are talking about, I think there were tracks played that would not have been considered suitable before.

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
34 minutes ago, Zoomsoulblue said:

Stafford 🤔 just a thought - more a newies sound ??

1979 release , made #1 in the R+B chart , #13 in the Pop chart , #5 in the UK , sold 8 million copies ... hardly a recipe for a Stafford tune ... :lol:

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Was played at the Ritz all dayers for the jazz funker types     Sure it was a pre release type thing that Neil would have played before it went mainstream 

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Well if it was to boost its sales value....it bombed!

Great tune though.

Of the same ilk, I remember Phyllis Hymen you know how to love me, definitely made it to the playlist at Leeds Central..

Ed

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Never heard of it, was massive at non Northern do's at the time.   If it had been a few years earlier it may have got placed along with Tavares/O'Jays?

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
14 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

Of the same ilk, I remember Phyllis Hymen you know how to love me, definitely made it to the playlist at Leeds Central..

As Tomangoes Said Regarding Phills Hyman, Philadelphia International Label Stuff Was Very Popular at the time but No Idea If It Was Played At Wigan as i had stoped going Long Before This Got  Released ('79), I Certainly Had It In My Box as a New Release play and it was Very Popular at the time where it was played 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
11 minutes ago, Rick Scott said:

As Tomangoes Said Regarding Phillys Hyman, Philadelphia International Label Stuff Was Very Popular at the time but No Idea If It Was Played At Wigan as i had stopped going Long Before This Got  Released ('79), I Certainly Had It In My Box as a New Release play and it was Very Popular at the time where it was played 

True, I had also stopped going, but pretty sure I never heard about it being played anywhere, other than venues  like the Ritz (but we know that was a mixed crowd), whereas Phyllis was, not 100% sure if at the time of release or later though.  It has never made me think of a track that would appear to the Northern crowds at the time.

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Yes i have to aggree with all the above as i have to admit that at the time of "Ain't No Stopping'" not all Northern Soul Club had Embraced the Playing of New Releases but Hey, Horses for Courses as they say, I always went went with my gut feeling on Tunes and did not just play them if they were Big for Someone Else, I Had to like it Personally as a record Whether playing out or at Home, it is great that we All Hear things in a different way which makes record collecting so interesting

• Up vote 3
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
19 hours ago, Rick Scott said:

Yes i have to agree with all the above as i have to admit that at the time of "Ain't No Stopping'" not all Northern Soul Club had Embraced the Playing of New Releases but Hey, Horses for Courses as they say, I always went went with my gut feeling on Tunes and did not just play them if they were Big for Someone Else, I Had to like it Personally as a record Whether playing out or at Home, it is great that we All Hear things in a different way which makes record collecting so interesting

Hi Rick, couldn't agree more re the don't just play them because they are big, this would have saved my ears from dross at just about everywhere I've ever been!!!

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I remember a soul night at Sheffield City Hall a few years ago when Richard Searing was doing the warm up hour in the main hall.

He put a hand bag special on....and half way through took it off saying 'I'm sorry, I cant stand this any longer'...to a raucous round of applause.

Top geezer!

Ed

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 hour ago, Tomangoes said:

I remember a soul night at Sheffield City Hall a few years ago when Richard Searing was doing the warm up hour in the main hall.

He put a hand bag special on....and half way through took it off saying 'I'm sorry, I cant stand this any longer'...to a raucous round of applause.

Top geezer!

Ed

It makes me want to know what he played now!!!

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Log back in to Soul Source now!
  1. Am I Missing Something Here - Everything's $999.99 ?
    Look At Your Box by 45cellar on Fri 07 Sep 2012
    • 18 / 1334
    • boba on 10 Sep 2012
  2. John Legend=am I Missing Something Here
    All About The Soul by codfromderby on Sun 08 Oct 2006
    • 49 / 2977
    • TONY ROUNCE on 13 Oct 2006
  3. Am I Missing Something Here ? £4900
    Look At Your Box by Blackpoolsoul on Wed 05 Sep 2018
    • 7 / 1824
    • Bruv on 16 Jan 2019
  4. Am I Missing Something Here?