Vol 5 ,"Cellarful Of Motown"

John Hart

Nearly 10 years since Vol 4. Compiler Paul Nixon presents again . Product looks great ,sadly the music content does not compare with previous volumes. Versions abound ; "I Gotta find a way {ToGet you Back}",There,s No love Left","Whisper You Love me Boy ","Determination ," "I Feel like I,m Falling in love Again " Jimmy Ruffin ,done better by Fantastic four and Dennis Edwards, "Iwant a Love i Can see",The underdogs,Garage at it,s poorest, "{ Come Round Here}"I,m  the one you Need " Hearts Of Stone ,this on paper sounds interesting ,it is not,, all sound like Q.C . rejects.. The real Stinkers; Dalton Boys ,Little Lisa, Billy Eckstine, R Dean Taylor , "Only You" Eddie Holland { The Platters tune!} and "Windmills Of your Mind " {yes the Noel Harrison Hit } Final track of 43 ,by Chuck Jackson !

Of 3 insrumentals by The Funks , "Its All Over " is listenable but not mindblowing, a vocal less band track assigned to the Isleys.

The standard of unreleased tracks on vol 1 to 4, set the bar so high,  I bought this blind ! So dissapointing.

Social source share

• Replies 2
  • Views 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I'm just grateful to have it given there have been other excavations of the vaults in the interim.  The Motown Unreleased series is sharing hundreds of tracks of each year legally.  Ace has done some quality compilations and the like.   I don't mind the versions, Motown passed around songs often and had them cover.

I'm not disappointed, I'm just happy to have it.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!