Clarification - Jamo Thomas... Must I Holler.

Ratt

I'm hoping someone can shed light on the history of that faster version of Jamo Thomas...Must I Holler. Is it one of those DJ remixes that did the rounds a few years back. I'm only asking because I sort of love the track, not particularly in a 'Northern' way because maybe it's not. Although I sometimes think it would have gone down real swell at one of the older nighters....it can sure be danced to.

Edited by Mike
title extended
Social source share

23 hours ago, ratt said:

I'm hoping someone can shed light on the history of that faster version of Jamo Thomas...Must I Holler. Is it one of those DJ remixes that did the rounds a few years back. I'm only asking because I sort of love the track, not particularly in a 'Northern' way because maybe it's not. Although I sometimes think it would have gone down real swell at one of the older nighters....it can sure be danced to.

Hi mate that version is on a Kent cd from 1996 called CHESS CLUB RHYTHM & SOUL so it could be one of those tracks recovered from master tapes? Not sure if it was issued on 7inch vinyl .

Social source share

That's interesting Joesoap, this link on YouTube, shows it on vinyl from 1971, and it's the fast version. This is the first time, and I've looked before over the years, that the fast version comes up at all on the tube. For me it's a nice tune anyway, all I read about it before seemed to sway towards the slow one that was released.    

Social source share

The fast version was included by mistake on the "Chess Club Rhythm & Soul" CD on Kent from 1996:
https://www.discogs.com/Various-Chess-Club-Rhythm-Soul/release/2959129

They were going to include the original, slower 7" version but used the wrong master tape

The fast version was finally released as a 7" in the "Chess Northern Soul Volume II" 7x7" box set from 2016:
https://www.discogs.com/Various-Chess-Northern-Soul-Volume-II/release/8965256

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

It is a rare taped session from Jamo and some of his pals, in the studio,they were jammin along and it was recorded on tape but not deleated as told by label chief..It had been hidden away or lost for years,untill it was put on a rare collection..Theres loads more to the story, but lets help ya along..The remix comes from something i put together at Our allniter,"Cloud 9"..etc.. Involving one of his other tracks faded in,at right time..The rest is a, DJs tricks,,, Enjoy...Burt..xx

Social source share

Yes Sebastian, I understand about it now. burt weedon must have got sidetracked from the original question. It threw me a bit when I read his post...and there lies the problem, when you want information, it comes around that you listen to everything. Thanks to you and Scootboy also. It's been interesting for me.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 08/11/2020 at 07:46, Sebastian said:

As I said: the fast version is an unissued Chess recording, originally released on a Kent CD.

I can't see how whatever "remix" burt weedon did has got anything to do with the original question.

Well La de dah Sabastion,,miss understood the first part,,probly due to my Peasant up bringing...And knowing nowt about, music/Record and collecting. By the way if it was an unreleased Chess recording..I wonder if it was a "Kent CD" they found on a shelf and not a "Chess Session Tape"..? mmmmm,..Ps read my notes; it was 2 discs i mixed,Try it,Good DJs do..xx Stay Safe,no polotics dude..xx..burt.xx  

Social source share

On 07/11/2020 at 11:54, Ratt said:

Hiya burt, so can you lay a claim to the existence of the faster version.....it's very interesting for me....just love the motherf....r

No sorry sir i cant claim that,please read my notes correctly, I explain how it came about and where a remix came from..and the story that went with the finding of the upbeat version..It was a jammin session,in Chess studios,etc etc..I let you believe what you like,,many thanx Burt....x

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2020 at 21:55, Ratt said:

If it was played at venues when all is back to normal, i wonder how the dance floor would react. After all, that is the true test isn't it. And maybe the track is legitimate enough for this to happen?

Yes, no worry about playing it off CD or vinyl Chess UK 7” release. It’s not a jam session, just a faster version Chess sent us in error and we issued in error. I compiled the box set 7s with it on so it’s many fans from the CD ( by then) could play it out 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

9 hours ago, Ady Croasdell said:

Yes, no worry about playing it off CD or vinyl Chess UK 7” release. It’s not a jam session, just a faster version Chess sent us in error and we issued in error. I compiled the box set 7s with it on so it’s many fans from the CD ( by then) could play it out 

Ady... good work what you and co have done with these chess etc sets..but did you get the studio notes,etc.. and Chess also have recording write ups on the majority of the artists which tell you how the session went, who was in the studio recording, who produced them, the sound eng..etc..i have collected a few of these paper booklet/notes,from various labels that i have collected over the past 48yrs.And also have a fair few studio recording tape reels. I can only write what ive seen, got, and what a few Rare Chess collectors have.(pals)                             ..Anyway its good to hear your comments,,Respect to you sir..Haven,t spoken to you in over 15/20yrs,Its good to talk..Regards; Burt..x

• Thanks 1
Social source share

15 hours ago, Ratt said:

I hope you go through life making errors this good Ady, riding on the back of Chess' original one or not. I find it odd that the fast one was not the first issue, it's completely blows the slow one away.

Plenty of tape errors in the early days. The best was Terry Callier Look At Me Now; a very different more jazzy vocal was sent. We issued that one knowingly 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

12 hours ago, burt weedon said:

Ady... good work what you and co have done with these chess etc sets..but did you get the studio notes,etc.. and Chess also have recording write ups on the majority of the artists which tell you how the session went, who was in the studio recording, who produced them, the sound eng..etc..i have collected a few of these paper booklet/notes,from various labels that i have collected over the past 48yrs.And also have a fair few studio recording tape reels. I can only write what ive seen, got, and what a few Rare Chess collectors have.(pals)                             ..Anyway its good to hear your comments,,Respect to you sir..Haven,t spoken to you in over 15/20yrs,Its good to talk..Regards; Burt..x

I’d love to see some of those if they are for tracks we’re involved in. We have some but not many. Big labels would do it, rarely indies though 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Ady.Your welcome mate, as soon as me and the wife have started getting to the soul..r n b..etc section in my music room,lock up,etc. I will be in touch, we are streamin my collection down and we have started at Z from  prog, blues rock, etc. we have been off loading for a year so hopefully not long..regards  burt.

• Thanks 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!