USA eBAY This sounds good

The only problem with these unknown songs is that it is possible it turns up as a b side on a unsuspecting £10 45!

a couple of months back a similar test press went for 800 quid as supposedly unknown! I found the released version on eBay,and the song was the b side (which was not a bad tune) the a side was shit,and no wonder the record was 20 quid delivered! 

so beware...do your research properly!

Social source share

Strange one , can't fathom out why there's no hint of anything stamp or matrix-wise in the runout ( have had a play in Gimp to look through the blackness ) and why would there be a drill hole in it ... ?

A 'test pressing' is just that , a pressing to test the quality of the stamper is OK before embarking on a long press run , therefore the matrix details would be present , and why would there be a drill hole in a test pressing ... ?

Took a bit of jump from $2000 to over $3000 in the time I've typed this , glad I downloaded the soundfile before it disappears though , damn fine tune ... :lol:

Social source share

On 26/10/2020 at 18:08, Woodbutcher said:

Strange one , can't fathom out why there's no hint of anything stamp or matrix-wise in the runout ( have had a play in Gimp to look through the blackness ) and why would there be a drill hole in it ... ?

A 'test pressing' is just that , a pressing to test the quality of the stamper is OK before embarking on a long press run , therefore the matrix details would be present , and why would there be a drill hole in a test pressing ... ?

Took a bit of jump from $2000 to over $3000 in the time I've typed this , glad I downloaded the soundfile before it disappears though , damn fine tune ... :lol:

Edited by Simon T
Social source share

As the Bell acetate credits Inez Foxx and says it's  "Sue Records" maybe the "EA" in the runout mark signifies it to be for Eastern Records ... ?

Just looked on Discogs at Eastern and for example "Eddie and Ernie - Outcast" carries the runout marks 

65 EA 245/246   , that 45 could well be a 65 ... ?

Social source share

So female artists on Eastern around 65/66 , Tina Britt and Jean Wells , would say possibly Tina Britt as Jean Wells has a very distinct voice that doesn't ring through on this.

So does anyone know the missing Eastern release on 45-607 ...?   Could this be the test pressing for that missing number ... ?

Social source share

4 minutes ago, Chalky said:

There are some faint markings on one of the labels too

It's found itself in a pile of 'returns' hence drill hole. Then it goes to a thrift store where they put their stamp on the sleeve and a price stamp of 69 cents which goes through onto the disk to leave a very slight mark.  ?

s-l1600-Histogram Equalization-Intensity-false-x_ 0, y_ 0, w_ 0, h_ 0 (2).jpg

Social source share

Could be , a lot of water under the bridge since '65 ... can't see it being in a pile of returns though , doubt a single sided test press ever made it out of the plant/record company , especially if it were never issued as seems a likely possibility.

Would love to see it up close and get a loupe on it under a decent lamp , just need to find out which 'billy big-bollocks' forked out the $3000 .

Social source share

On 26/10/2020 at 21:38, Woodbutcher said:

Could be , a lot of water under the bridge since '65 ... can't see it being in a pile of returns though , doubt a single sided test press ever made it out of the plant/record company , especially if it were never issued as seems a likely possibility.

Edited by Simon T
Social source share

3 hours ago, Modularman said:

It's got it's own discogs page, no further clues though apart from they think it's late 60's? Dont know if it was uploaded to discogs prior to the auction 

https://www.discogs.com/release/16119041?utm_source=mobile&utm_medium=app&utm_campaign=Android App

It was uploaded 18 hours ago by user antonymeijer ... so probably just after auction end ...the buyer perhaps???

Discogs.jpg

Social source share

39 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

How lucky were we when a dozen or more new tunes as good as this were turning every month.

Now its like the holy grail has been found!

Still happy they turn up though via old studio tapes, test presses, and long lost lps etc.

Ed

Let's face it, this wouldn't even get a second listen in the past, it is average at best really.  It is because of the lack of any quality turning up that every one has a wa*k fest over something like this.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

If this was in a soul pack on a demo or issue then I think it would be dismissed as a mediocre 45,and maybe see it in the 20 quid bracket! The fact it’s “unknown” test press and as achieved a ridiculous amount,it makes it appear better than it is! Personally I wouldn’t waste the space in the box for it!

• Up vote 3
Social source share

If indeed its "that rare"...then thats always influenced prices.

I remember those for millionaires only cds about 15 years ago coming and thinking a few tracks were dire for the minimum £1000 valuation.

The litmus test will be how many more will turn up!

Ed

Edited by Tomangoes
Spello
Social source share

On 03/11/2020 at 20:27, Woodbutcher said:

Well that places it nicely between 45-606 Eddie and Ernie "I'm goin' for myself"with 65 EA 194 and 45-608 Eddie and Ernie "Outcast" with 65 EA 245 so a very probable candidate as a test pressing for the 'missing' 45-607.

If it is and looking where it would possibly come in the listing for Eastern Records I think it may possibly be Tina Britt, it does sound something like her if you listen.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!