News: Dave Godin A Northern Soul Part 2

Mike

• Replies 2
  • Views 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I bought and have finished the book, my initial interest stemmed from being an avid reader of Dave's column in B&S and buying quite a number of the records he recommended further proof of which emerged reading the various top tens in book. I also was also one of the many people who received a tape off him as an impressionable 17yr old after writing to ask could he recommend any records as I had recently started listening to Deep Soul, later most of the tunes on that tape made up the majority of Deep Soul Treasures Vol1. Back to the book, it is as stated above a very well produced book, great quality, plenty of pics, lots of interesting stories.

I was initially worried that the book would be very wordy and too much concentration would be focused on his political and lifestyle views which do take up a large portion of the book but not in a preachy or academic way. I found it to be very honest, I got the impression rightly or wrongly as a long time admirer of Dave Godin the book gave such a truthful portrait of the man that in parts I found myself actively disliking him. 

Enjoyed reading the book, learnt quite a bit, would be interested to see anyone's views who have read the book and knew Dave Godin personally, not I hasten to add due to any doubts as to the truthfulness of the book merely to hear the views of someone who knew him first hand and what they made of the book.

Great read, would recommend.  

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!