Vodafone PAYG - Advice needed to clueless newbie

Posted

With recent changes to Paypal logins, I had to get a mobile.

My neighbour sold me his old one for a tenner, I then bought a Vodafone Pay as you go Sim card fo 99p, and that works fine. I can receive calls and texts, which is all I want.

I'm new to the mobile thingy, so my question is this. Do I need to register it, or buy talk time / data etc. or can I leave it just as it is without fear of ir being cut off ?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

soul source url
Social source share
  • Replies 16
  • Views 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mick. To use PayPal on your phone you will need to have Internet access /data and top up your air time to make calls and txts . Best advice mate is to go  a Vodafone shop and tell them what you need a

Mick. You will still need to top up your pay as you go for calls and texts. But as long as you have credit you won't be cut off as such  

OK Thanks, i feared as much

Posted
1 hour ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

With recent changes to Paypal logins, I had to get a mobile.

My neighbour sold me his old one for a tenner, I then bought a Vodafone Pay as you go Sim card fo 99p, and that works fine. I can receive calls and texts, which is all I want.

I'm new to the mobile thingy, so my question is this. Do I need to register it, or buy talk time / data etc. or can I leave it just as it is without fear of ir being cut off ?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Mick. To use PayPal on your phone you will need to have Internet access /data and top up your air time to make calls and txts . Best advice mate is to go  a Vodafone shop and tell them what you need and they should be able to help you mate. 

PS. Welcome to the 21st century 😁

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Thanks for that - No i'm okay with existing internet on standard PC, I just needed a mobile number for Paypals new login requirements, which is now fine. The new mobile is only for receiving calls or texts, which it does.

My concern is if I don't sign up or buy data (which I don't want), will I be cut off after a period of time.

Cheers

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
29 minutes ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

Thanks for that - No i'm okay with existing internet on standard PC, I just needed a mobile number for Paypals new login requirements, which is now fine. The new mobile is only for receiving calls or texts, which it does.

My concern is if I don't sign up or buy data (which I don't want), will I be cut off after a period of time.

Cheers

Mick. You will still need to top up your pay as you go for calls and texts. But as long as you have credit you won't be cut off as such  

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
15 minutes ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

OK Thanks, i feared as much

Just top up the minimum amount and if you are only using it for incoming calls and text you should be ok .

I have a pay as you go with a fiver on it which has been on for years I still keep it charged up just in case my main mobile breaks etc.

I would assume you needed a mobile to confirm your login for PayPal , which they then send a one off code to confirm your login , this is a new security thing , which all financial institutions will be implementing soon .

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I put £10 on an 02 sim at least 5 years ago, just to get bank texts, and its still fine. I send a txt from it twice a year.

A lot of phones allow 2 sims, so that's another bonus, to keep your main number for private calls and no spam etc.

Ed

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
  • 5 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Looks like my phone will be cut off if I don't top up (Vodafone PAYG). It would appear I have to top up every month. I was kind of hoping if I only received texts, it would be okay.

Maybe it's only the "Bundle" that will get cut off. Sources on tinternet suggest I only have to make one call (which I have) to remain connected for 180 days. I can't find anything on Vodaphone site to back that up though.

Is anyone on Vodafone with a similar situation, or set of requirements (ie only use if I have to, but be able to receive texts without the need or expense of a monthly top up) ?

Cheers
Mick

Edited by Mick Holdsworth
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
59 minutes ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

Looks like my phone will be cut off if I don't top up (Vodafone PAYG). It would appear I have to top up every month. I was kind of hoping if I only received texts, it would be okay.

Maybe it's only the "Bundle" that will get cut off. Sources on tinternet suggest I only have to make one call (which I have) to remain connected for 180 days. I can't find anything on Vodaphone site to back that up though.

Is anyone on Vodafone with a similar situation, or set of requirements (ie only use if I have to, but be able to receive texts without the need or expense of a monthly top up) ?

Cheers
Mick

Mick. Phone Vodafone and they should advise you or next week when the shops reopen go a Vodafone shop. Apart from that I haven't got any idea 😕 

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Mick,1p mobile is far the best for light users you only need to top up every 4 months  @£10 it is 1p per text,1p per minute and 1p per megabite of data , look online for more details 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Mick

Same happened to me after buying PAYG sim card from Tesco.

Got in touch with vodaphone - they said buying sim from third party didn't provide true PAYG - that was only available on sim bought from vodaphone shop - and I had in fact bought a bundle even though the packaging didn't  say so.

Give them a ring, explain what has happened and ask for them to transfer balance to true PAYG - sure they will sort it out for you without any problem.

PS - you can also sign up to a £1 max thing whereby once you've racked up £1 on call/calls all other use is free for 24 hours.

Edited by Stevie
Ps
  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Thanks Steve, I also bought the SIM from elsewhere (local shop), so will have to phone or see Vodafone. Hopefully they can sort it out.

Edited by Mick Holdsworth
soul source url
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Log back in to Soul Source now!
    • 1 / 989
    • spook on 11 Jul 2011