Whatever Happened To Geoff Killick

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Guest TONY ROUNCE

The thread about Richard Selwood - that I inadvertently turned into one about Richard Scanes - on "All About The Soul", got me thinking about those other pioneers of the soul record list who used to advertise in the back of Record Mirror and the like.

One of the first people who I used to buy imports off in any quantity was Geoff Killick, who lived off Maida Vale and who had some sort of deal with a US jukebox distributor, so most of what he had was major label stuff - but at a time when imports were the exception rather than the rule, he was a handy bloke to know.

I haven't seen Geoff since about 1972 and I have often wondered, in recent years, whatever became of him. Is he still collecting? Is he still alive, even? Anyone seen him since the early 70s?

I also used to buy a lot, in the early days, from Mike Cowley (who went on to become a partnet in the Collectors Records Shops in my neck of the woods) and Cliff Clifford (who vanished off the soul map). I drove past Cliff's (or maybe it was Mike's) old house in Chiswick on my way into the office today, and that's what really prompted this "where are they now" tome.

John Thorpe was another who put out good lists back then. John, of course, IS still around, and making a nusiance of himself :thumbup: and is still into his music, which for the past 30 years has been more or less exclusively country.

Discounting the obvious ones like John Anderson, I wonder if any of you have any memories of guys in more Northern or Midland parts of the country who used to put out regular lists and who seemingly just vanished off the face of the earth after a few years of doing so...

TONE

Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi Tone

yep, remember Geoff - everything he had was 35p - he didn't have a telephone at the time so I used to send him a telegram stating ' money in post, don't sell anything yet!'

Got some great stuff - Dalton Boys, Marlena Shaw, Bobby Freeman etc etc.

This was at the time when I was spending at least an hour a day on the phone to Ian Levine checking what new sounds he was going to 'break' at the Mecca that weekend. Happy days!!

I thought his dad was a diplomat in Washington and Geoff visited him regularly and brought the stuff back with him.

Julian

Social source share

what happened to Richard Shaw---

used to live in Congleton,had a shed in his garden with his records in,got loads of great

bits outa there

had some bother with someone who firebombed the shed,wiped out all his records bar a few

moved to Warrington,still selling records

said about 6 years ago,will send you a list

never heard from him again

also

steve chadwick

harry dennett says he still sees him,but were good mates,used to go to Griffin and all over

with him

does anyone see him..would like to be in touch again

also

Kev Thomas

still has some of my records from 2 & half years etc,said he would get them back to me

Social source share

used to live in Congleton,had a shed in his garden with his records in,got loads of great

bits outa there

had some bother with someone who firebombed the shed,wiped out all his records bar a few

also

steve chadwick

harry dennett says he still sees him,but were good mates,used to go to Griffin and all over

with him

does anyone see him..would like to be in touch again

also

Kev Thomas

still has some of my records from 2 & half years etc,said he would get them back to me

bump

Social source share

bits outa there

Hi Keith,

I was only thinking about him the other day when I was chucking out some old lists & found one of his old hand written ones. Got some great records off him. Like you say he just disappeared about 6 or 7 years ago. I dont know if you noticed but he was huffing & puffing a bit on the phone, well at least he was the last time I talked to him. hope he's o.k.

Ady.

Social source share

Hi Keith,

I was only thinking about him the other day when I was chucking out some old lists & found one of his old hand written ones. Got some great records off him. Like you say he just disappeared about 6 or 7 years ago. I dont know if you noticed but he was huffing & puffing a bit on the phone, well at least he was the last time I talked to him. hope he's o.k.

Ady.

hi adey

yeah he had accident years ago that left him in a struggle to walk

but he managed for the time i knew him ok

so it wasnt anything to do with that

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!