Contact label Chicago and The Traits

Rictic66

Help needed please. Just bought a great double sider The Traits Some Day Some Way and Youve Waited To Long (misspelt too for to maybe). Contact 4058 and according to discogs there were at least two variations of the label - one has CONTACT at the top and the other down the side. Both yellow. Anyway I’m sure lots of members know this record but I’ve never heard it played out and it’s great for now imho. 

I do have Willie Cager on CONTACT 504 and The TrAITS do have another nice midtempo on CONTACT 501. 

Contact seems to be a Barry Despenza sister label to Despenza of Ivories Please Stay fame - one of my cherished all time favourites. 

Anyway any info appreciated especially who were the Traits and were they the same as the Too Good to be True group. 

Also there seems to be another expensive CONTACT record by Paulette- who is she - any info?

ive done some research but not a lot out there. 

Thx. Paul Temple

Social source share

Hey guys thanks so much. Turns out they are the same group and recorded the same record with different arrangements in 1966 and 1971. And I had the Dispo version as well all along but hadn’t connected. Just listened to the interview and the band members were William Ledbetter, Willian Kirk Davis, Kenny Rydell, Gregory McEastland and Ronald Christian. Very little about them in Rob Pruter’s great Chicago Soul so the interview was brill. Some interesting stories about Barry Despenza, The Gems, Donny Hathaway and many others. 

Incedentally both versions have different but great flip sides. 

SS does it again. Cheers. Paul Temple

Social source share

On 29/10/2020 at 20:26, Rictic66 said:

Help needed please. Just bought a great double sider The Traits Some Day Some Way and Youve Waited To Long (misspelt too for to maybe). Contact 4058 and according to discogs there were at least two variations of the label - one has CONTACT at the top and the other down the side. Both yellow. Anyway I’m sure lots of members know this record but I’ve never heard it played out and it’s great for now imho. 

I do have Willie Cager on CONTACT 504 and The TrAITS do have another nice midtempo on CONTACT 501. 

Contact seems to be a Barry Despenza sister label to Despenza of Ivories Please Stay fame - one of my cherished all time favourites. 

Anyway any info appreciated especially who were the Traits and were they the same as the Too Good to be True group. 

Also there seems to be another expensive CONTACT record by Paulette- who is she - any info?

Thx. Paul Temple

Hi. You say that you have never heard it out I played it a couple of times but it is one of those sounds that not many know and didn't go down well with the dancers 

Social source share

12 hours ago, Pga1 said:

Hiya greedy Mick, if I walked into a venue and you were spinning this tune,. I'd go yep, this is the right venue,  cheers

Thanks for that mate.  If you  ever see me behind the decks please ask for it. I'm also looking forward to playing the chantels and the aqua lads I'll never know

• Up vote 1
Social source share

7 hours ago, Greedy Mick said:

Thanks for that mate.  If you  ever see me behind the decks please ask for it. I'm also looking forward to playing the chantels and the aqua lads I'll never know

Aqua Lads & Chantells, great 45! I have a photo of the Chantells somewhere, from memory 2 white females.

Edited by Soul-slider
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Thx. Paul Temple

Two other rare contact releases: Anita anderson ‘secretly’ and melvin johnson ‘don’t let yourself go’.

Both great soul 45s.

j

• Up vote 1
Social source share

8 hours ago, Corbett80 said:

Two other rare contact releases: Anita anderson ‘secretly’ and melvin johnson ‘don’t let yourself go’.

Both great soul 45s.

j

Not forgetting Paulette. 
PS. Just seen that Paul mentioned Paulette in the opening post, need to go back to specsavers 🙄😊

Edited by Chalky
Social source share

Thx. Paul Temple

Discogs has Paulette down as Paulette Dispenza so Barry’s wife maybe?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!