JMAuction - 04/11/2020 - Results

Zanetti

Skip Jackson £473.... really... I bought this twice many years back (90's) for less than £20 so not rare, the dealer in question had dozens he told me. I sold one on here for around £100 15 years ago, sent in good faith and was never paid..... I got sent a book instead! Glad I am not buying now apart from new release..... M

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Marktsoulman said:

Skip Jackson £473.... really... I bought this twice many years back (90's) for less than £20 so not rare, the dealer in question had dozens he told me. I sold one on here for around £100 15 years ago, sent in good faith and was never paid..... I got sent a book instead! Glad I am not buying now apart from new release..... M

Same could be said for so many records vibrations on that auction list being another.

great oldie but a daft price.

and as already been said sweet darlin how is that so much.

I’ll be your champion I was found much harder to come across.  Even that is probably not that hard to find.

Edited by Dylan
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Simon T said:

A newly list item is a Grovesville acetate > Eddie Holiday & Joey Kingfish - I Won't Hurt You Anymore. The label scans suggests the other side,  which is blank, would be a track called "come on back"  what song might that be, JJ Barnes?

Thats a nice tune.

on the same page is mac staten "there she goes" john has it as a 1963 release in the description.  Is that right it sounds later ?

Social source share

On 05/11/2020 at 09:03, Halogen said:

I thought one of the rules of this forum is not using bad language!

It is. 

So a quick reminder - Please keep out the swearing guys.  Maybe putting a '*' in place of some letters if on the rare occasion you feel that strongly, that you feel the need to swear (Best not to really though)

Thanks.

Len.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Indeed he does not get it right every time ! In his latest auction ,he refers twice to the bside of Jesse Johnson,s " Left Out " being " 100 pounds of Pain" { A totally different tune by Lenny Welch on Mainstream. }

What Professor Johnny really  meant was " 100 Pounds of Clay" ! In tandem with our eyesight and sex drive memory fails with advancing years ! Still he is a Great read .

• Up vote 1
Social source share

15 minutes ago, John Hart said:

Indeed he does not get it right every time ! In his latest auction ,he refers twice to the bside of Jesse Johnson,s " Left Out " being " 100 pounds of Pain" { A totally different tune by Lenny Welch on Mainstream. }

What Professor Johnny really  meant was " 100 Pounds of Clay" ! In tandem with our eyesight and sex drive memory fails with advancing years ! Still he is a Great read .

Yes they are auction notes with the intention of talking up the records as much as possible so should be taken with a pitch of salt. 

I think a lot of people find them a bit OTT now though. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

5 hours ago, Dylan said:

Yes they are auction notes with the intention of talking up the records as much as possible so should be taken with a pitch of salt. 

I think a lot of people find them a bit OTT now though. 

I like reading the 'blurb'. I also used to enjoy Rudzi's of 'Boogaloo Records' (Leicester)

N.B - (To all) Ref swearing. Just so aware - Doing so can damage the site / may affect its classification by search engines etc, too much may cause it to be classed as an 'adult site'

Google adverts doesn't like it, now and again do get some pages flagged up as possible 'sexual content' and need to put in an appeal.

Plus workplace filters may pick it up and put a block on it.

Len :thumbsup:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

16 minutes ago, The Yank said:

That same info (1963 release) is also on Discogs. 

so does 45 cat. but it just doesnt sound like a 1963 recording at all

the numbering system is all over the place..label designs differ. and i think what confuses people is the fact that j j jackson.  a reissue of the storm 45 was issued as within months almost like a national label but thats not correct..its a few years later i`m certain of it

Edited by Dave Pinch
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

Just saying....

Ed

Screenshot_20201109-184824_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201109-184851_Chrome.jpg

ive just played both sides of the nomads intrumentals and confess they could be from around 1964 altho one reviewer mentions they sound like early psychedelic numbers..not sure what they are listening to there. there she goes no matter how many times i listen to it does`nt sound like anything i ever heard before from 1963..  but be aware before copying and pasting info from the net possibly done by a band member who cant remember what he had for tea yesterday

• Up vote 1
Social source share

9 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

Well....either James Brown copied this....or the other way round, and certainly if it was 63, it wasnt the other way round..

Ed

well he`s actually copying papas got a brand new bag in there as well as please please please so youre answering all the questions posed  and thats summer 1965

Social source share

17 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

I agree.

Its a good copy of the James Browns sound....but would need to be 66 really to do it justice.

Ed

and thats exactly when i think these prelude 45s on that design were released 65/early 66.. the sound is there sure as i`m sitting here typing with the exception of j. j. jackson from the storm label..and the surf instrumental by the duvals which kinda copies the shadows lol..think theres 5 releases that tie to that period.. the earlier prelude releases  rhonda fleming, rev charles watkins, phillips sisters are most definitely very early 60s if indeed both labels  are indeed related

Edited by Dave Pinch
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

32 minutes ago, Dave Pinch said:

and thats exactly when i think these prelude 45s on that design were released 65/early 66.. the sound is there sure as i`m sitting here typing with the exception of j. j. jackson from the storm label..and the surf instrumental by the duvals which kinda copies the shadows lol..

The Duvals is definitely 1963. It's 10 /10 on this survey- 

Duvals.jpg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

15 minutes ago, The Yank said:

The Duvals is definitely 1963. It's 10 /10 on this survey- 

Duvals.jpg

yes i suspected it was around that time as that does sound from that time period. very popular in pittsburg apparantly and sounds a little like apache by the shadows in the uk that was covered by jorge ingmann and a big usa hit for him in 1961. same production set up but different colouring and numbering system from the four later preludes and possibly where all the confusions comes from as its obvious by listening to the other releases that they are later than this release

Edited by Dave Pinch
Social source share

14 hours ago, Dave Pinch said:

ive just played both sides of the nomads intrumentals and confess they could be from around 1964 altho one reviewer mentions they sound like early psychedelic numbers..not sure what they are listening to there. there she goes no matter how many times i listen to it does`nt sound like anything i ever heard before from 1963..  but be aware before copying and pasting info from the net possibly done by a band member who cant remember what he had for tea yesterday

I would say it is more like ‘65 than ‘63 despite what biographies etc say. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!