Dionne Warwick - Love Is A Good Foundation

Soulstrutter

Surprised to stumble across this clip of Dionne Warwick singing Love Is A Good Foundation - the same track as Leslie Uggams Wigan biggie.  It's on The Glen Campbell Show from Sep 1971 - so around the same time as Uggams recorded it.  It doesn't appear that Warwick ever recorded it though (as I can't find anything but perhaps someone knows) but did notice that she produced it for Uggams which may explain her singing it.

UPDATE

Ooops ... sorry just realised that this was posted in 2016 but link doesn't seem to work so will leave for now but will remove if requested.

Edited by Soulstrutter
Update with new info
Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

22 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

New to me...

DW is great....but on this song, it has to be LU

Ed

... tend to agree ... just added for a bit of 'interest'! 

P.S did you also know that on the same album as LIAGF she recorded a version of the Oh Lord, What Are You Doing To Me done by Big Maybelle and Dionne Warwick in 1964 not sure who did it first but would guess Big Maybelle as DW's is LP only.  A few others have recorded it Brenda & Tabulations (LP only), Freddie North and Soul 4 Real have just put out a prev. unreleased version by Jerry Williams Jr.  ... any other versions?

Edited by Soulstrutter
Social source share

Looks like BoM version was released before Leslie Uggam in 1970... not sure I agree 'it' not half bad' 🙂 ... but piqued my interest to look into writer Ralph  Murphy (a Brit who moved to Canada and then US) - he was predominantly a C&W writer (for Crystal Gayle, Shania Twain, Ronnie Milsap and the likes) but  he also wrote Miss D. D. Phillips - Hey Little Girl, and some tracks for Ad Libs (Love Me), Kenny Bernard (Isn't That A Good Idea, Hey Woman & Victim Of Perfume And Lace)  Timothy Wilson (Shine), Freddie North (Sun Comes Up) & Donnie Elbert (Along Came Pride / Time Hangs On My Mind) ad in 80s Marcia Hines ‎– She Got You, Eloise Laws - If You Don't Love Me By Now.

Social source share

9 hours ago, Mike said:

allways thought it was all a bit too middle of the road.. for me at least

if it wasn't for the claps would it have 'made it' back then?

Agree Mike - LU was primarily a 'show' singer and most of her material was pretty MOR  ....but her version is better than both DW and BoM!  

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!